Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supplying Client with video edited on the 850

Steve....
    As a very long time customer and believer, I had to figure the information was some place, but my dealer was even unaware that the manual was on the system itself. I probably am not of the mindset to dig into a manual before I even purchase a unit. I knew after sitting through the sales demos at NAB several times that the 850 would some day be part of my production package. To be honest, I saw it replacing a lot of other equipment I had already purchased (NewTek stuff of course).

You asked what might be included to make this a more obvious find. How about replacing one or two of the pictures on the Quick Start Guide (like the one that says to plug the audio into the XLR audio connectors) with one that shows where to search for the Manual. I do not think I will ever want to download the file and print it, but knowing it is a click away is a big help.

Having some demos etc on the system itself would be great. I have been in video production for close to 40 years now and while this device is basically a computer, the design of the interface is so much like old school production equipment it was a snap to get going with a live four camera shoot out of the box. But then if I had to use the virtual set functions, etc. it would be a lot more mind consuming. Perhaps that is where some training and demos should focus...on the things that are not absolutely straight forward.

I have yet to dig into the manual so I can not attest to its layout and usefulness. But reading about Exporting Files on page 108 was informative and helpful. I will take some time between events to read on. But my biggest hope is that the manual contains a good search function.

Honestly, some of the "Hints" in the section of the manual that I read were very helpful. Perhaps something on a regular basis that gave us the "Top Ten Secrets on How to use My 850". Could be an email blast to 850 owners (you do have that information). Supply details that we might not have time to dig out and that are hidden deep within the system. Maybe even a regular thread on the forum, although I will admit I do not get here as regularly as many thus the email blast suggestion.

But regardless of knowing where the manual is located, the 850 is a beautiful system that has put NewTek in the forefront of live production, editing and streaming. Bravo!!

Bill
    Last edited by wftiv; 03-18-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Quote Originally Posted by wftiv View Post
    I probably am not of the mindset to dig into a manual before I even purchase a unit.
    Agreed! I don't think many are; imho, manuals should be where you go when you need the finer detail, not so much how to get up and running.

That's why the intro blurb for the first chapter says "Hate reading manuals? If so, you are part of the majority (estimates are that between 60 and 97% of the human race concur). Most prefer to jump right in, maybe asking a friend for occasional help (and who can blame them)?"

Just below that, you'll read (in the short page discussing manual organization) this:

Part I - Getting Started: introduction to TriCaster; connecting devices (cameras, monitors, etc.) and registration, ending with the Live Production Walkthrough – a brisk jog through fundamentals, about 45 pages (if you’re a quick study, this may provide all you need).

But my biggest hope is that the manual contains a good search function.
    Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated. I just want to mention a couple points I think are useful.

• First, since it's a pdf, a keyword search is quite easy.
    • Second, the index page numbers and cross references appearing here and there are hyperlinks - click to jump.
    • Also, there is a pretty extensive keyword index at the back. I try really hard to index items from multiple perspectives, so - for example - you don't need to know that we refer to chromakeying as LiveMatte, either will suffice. (On this point, if anyone ever has suggestions for more entries, please sing out).
    • Finally, while so often it is the case that Appendices are trivial, that is not so in TriCaster manuals. The Huge "How do I ...?" section is basically a big and current FAQ, with its own index. Then there are appendices with valuable information on performance (including things like IMAG latency) and calibration. (Although not an appendix, I also want to highlight Chapter 10 on Streaming, which has a lot of useful info on networking topics).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Steve,
    Sounds like the bases are covered. Now that I have access to the manual, both on the NewTek site and on the 850, I will be able to take advantage of the vast amount of information provided. I know we have the DVD to look at but do we really have to have another computer along with us to play it. I suppose we can check it out back at the "ranch" but often that is difficult when headed to production locations. Would it be worth putting it on a USB drive? If you print more Quick Start Guides, it might be nice to mention that the manual can be found under "Help". One statement to that effect might have sent me in the right direction. Admittedly, I was one of the early 850 users and it arrived the day before I put it in my trailer and head to FL for a four camera HD shoot. No time to do much reading then and on the trip down, I spent the time not driving, sleeping....the necessity of a 1,000 mile trip. I was confident that I could get by switching four cameras using SDI the Start Up Guide was perfect for that. And I know SpeedEDIT. So I just bumbled a little when it came to some of the fine points of exporting files in other than the rendered Speed HQ format, which by the way looks excellent!

If nothing else comes from this thread, I hope it is for everyone to dig into the manual on the 850, now that they know it is there.

Thanks Steve...see you at NAB??

William
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    If you print more Quick Start Guides, it might be nice to mention that the manual can be found under "Help".
    Considering this is where 99.99999999% of all software puts it's manuals and 'help' information, is it really needed?

Thanks Steve...see you at NAB??
    No doubt - there's a post somewhere here about a user gathering Monday night. That's on my todo list for sure.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    Considering this is where 99.99999999% of all software puts it's manuals and 'help' information, is it really needed?
    I think the case could be argued that it's easier to overlook Help when it's in Startup, not the main Live Desktop - which is a little different than many apps.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Hey Jim,
    I have never gone to the Help tab on a program to find a manual. Sure there is some help stuff there but did not seem like a logical place to put an entire Manual in PDF form. But then I am a video production person and not really a computer dude. The computer is just the engine driving the train. All the productioin equipment I have used in the last 40 years has come with a printed manual. Even the four HD camera we were shooting with had their printed manual with them. And why not make a statement to the obivous. We can not all be as turned in as you and many others.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    No doubt - there's a post somewhere here about a user gathering Monday night. That's on my todo list for sure.
    not to hijack the thread, but...
    I'd love to hear some more info about that... only going to be at NAB for monday and tuesday....

Quote Originally Posted by DCvision View Post
    I'd love to hear some more info about that... only going to be at NAB for monday and tuesday....
    See http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117882
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12