Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japan

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    All our sympathy and good wishes for anybody suffering from the ill effects in Japan at the moment.
    And certainly the very best wishes for the next couple of years as well since it is certainly going to take some time to recover (regardless of the result of the nuclear accident).
    I have to say that I really admit how well the people of Japan are coping with the situation so far.

I won't even comment on the images. However it is certainly good to see that even the more adverse neighbours are sending help over as well as Japan accepting it.

shame to the image link. i just want to go back to the normal life and celebrate cherry blossom with friend and laugh a lot. i believe in all the technician there. pray for it. and amen to the people in tohoku region.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffrySG View Post
    He says they've been having about two aftershocks every day which is still kind of scary.
    The ground has not stopped shaking up here. I think we're at the 300+ mark for aftershocks. Dozens of 5~ 6.0's.

As for the plant, they are doing staff rotations to reduce exposure.

If you're going to donate $$, donate to an organization that will use it in other places besides here. Although the images are heart-wrenching, everything will be fine. There is food and supplies, the problem is the transportation/power infrastructure is damaged, which makes getting things around a pain. They have to go up the West Coast around Aomori then back down to get to us. No freight trains have been through here since.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Oh and JonW: おめでとう = congratulations.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont View Post
    Oh and JonW: おめでとう = congratulations.
    Years ago I could write a few words. But I cheated here!

The only earthquake I was in was our Newcastle earthquake decades ago. I was sitting at my desk in Sydney & everything moved sideways 10cm, I looked out into the warehouse & everything was shaking. That was enough for me!
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

These things break hearts. Also show the strength that ppl have underneath. Best wishes to our long dated friends on the other side of the globe.

Here in Portugal we are not so used to these massive destruction events in the last century, just hope we can be as strong as japaneses, since apparently at any moment we can have a event like that here, again, due to proximity of continental plates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake
    Last edited by probiner; 03-16-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Most you can do is not panic and know what to do during and after.
    Lamont G
    Artist Ubisoft Osaka/大阪

Just back form Tokyo yesterday, I was about to check in at west Shinjuku when the first quake happened, I ran out of the lobby and saw trees waving and buildings jiggling, everyone could only stand there and watch, it's the longest earthquake I've experienced, I felt my adrenaline building up and ready for the buildings to collapse ... all mobiles downed and about an hour later we saw the news about tsunami disasters on TV, so sad seeing people lost their families and love ones....

Those who're still working at Fukushima are real heroes! Good luck to everyone in Japan, take care Lamont.

Wishing Japan all the best...
    an earthquake, tsunami, more quakes, reactor issues...
    geez.

And as to those nasty posts...
    wtf?
    There are families over there people...
    families.

Those things shouldn't be thought much less posted for posterity.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    - Thomas A. Edison

hell on earth, unbelievable, unstoppable power of water and smashed buildings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12735023
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

All the best for Japan. I hope they get a wonder at Fukushima.
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

I pray for a speedy recovery of Japan...as a Japanese I feel heartbroken whenever I see the images and the videos of the disaster. I can just feel lucky I am not there when it happened.

I hope our Newtek/Lightwave members in Japan are safe and sound as well...

I've got a lot of relatives is Tokyo and thank God they are pretty much safe. Though they currently are doing scheduled power shutdowns, besides that a few aftershocks, I was told they're okay.

This is an eye opener for everyone on a lot of things...for those who live along the coastline, or for the countries with nuclear reactors. May this all turn out well...
    -Ken-
    http://www.kggraphics.com
    Desktop: Core i5 2400 | Windows 10 Pro
    Turbosquid Models

Quote Originally Posted by ken_g9 View Post
    or for the countries with nuclear reactors.
    True. Every other technology we know just stops working once the power drops. On a nuclear plant, you get a nuclear accident when the powercables got cut (no matter what the reason was). We (humans) can't handle this.
    Tchernobyl is 25 years ago, I wonder what happens within the next 25 years. There's a lot of plants along that San Andreas fault and in other areas on the globe with earthquakes. Didn't they think about it?
    If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.

I guess countries need careful planning and foresight. I read Germany shut down a few nuclear reactors which were operational since 1980 to do a safety check.
    -Ken-
    http://www.kggraphics.com
    Desktop: Core i5 2400 | Windows 10 Pro
    Turbosquid Models

I guess countries need careful planning and foresight.
    And I doubt that's enough. You can't plan with a black swan event in mind, cause you don't know what it will be. Of course, every death caused by human technology is bad, but it's one thing when a fuel station goes up and destroys a block and it's something different when your fuel station is able to send 35 millions to slow death. I was never before aware of the fact, that it takes a lot of energy to prevent a nuclear plant from blowing up. And that you just can't plan every detail of the future.
    I read Germany shut down a few nuclear reactors which were operational since 1980 to do a safety check.
    It's only for a period of 3 month (till the next elections). But I think the people will stand up and demand a shut down of some old ones. Here in Germany it had always some kind of movement against nuclear plants, it really got some more momentum now (alltough we're pretty alone in the EU with this point of view).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast