Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: obj export is missing UVs

  1. #1
    Registered User adamredwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,030

    obj export is missing UVs

    Here a simple model that doesn't export UVs when exporting as an obj file.
    Does any know why or is this a perpetual Lightwave bug?
    (win7, LW 9.6 win32)

    I have applied the UVmapping to the surfaces.

    If I examine the .obj export file, you can see that the metal surface only gets:
    Code:
    f 406//277 408//295 386//296 378//276 etc...
    where the vt component is missing.

    If I export as .DAE it works.
    Any thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    // To draw is to think and discover.

  2. #2
    Export (metal surface) works fine on my end. Thats all i can say =/
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #3
    Works here too. Lw9.6 32bit win7.

    Code:
    usemtl metal
    s 1
    f 406/218/277 408/216/295 386/221/296 378/225/276
    f 385/223/260 406/218/277 378/225/276 351/228/258
    f 340/230/242 385/223/260 351/228/258 315/234/238

  4. #4
    Super Member dwburman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    2,880
    Did you set an image in your UV Map? If you just make a UV Map and don't put anything in it, it'll disappear on export. Actually, I sort of recall reading that you don't actually have to put an image on the UV, but you at least have to open the texture editor and select UV projection mode and select the UV Map.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

  5. #5
    Registered User adamredwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,030
    Thanks for helping me guys!

    I found the problem:
    I had another model open in modeler, which was using the same surface name(metal) as the model I was exporting.... so therefore, when I exported to obj the exporter got confused somehow. The other surface may/may not have had the UVmap applied.

    When I closed the other model, the obj exported correctly.

    It's a bug, but glad there's a solution. Thanks again.
    // To draw is to think and discover.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •