Thread: Tricaster and LiveStream

Tricaster and LiveStream

Has anyone done this?

Streamed from the Tricaster to Livestream and enabled the mobile option?

LiveStream is telling me I need to output the video from the Tricaster to a PC running their Procaster software to be able to do that.

To me that sounds like I'm defeating part of the purpose of having the Tricaster.

Anyone doing this?

Thanks!

Haven't tried it but this has been posted as a solution:

Originally Posted by pconradt
    Take a look here http://www.livestream.com/userguide/...ith_Livestream this will give you some info on how to setup for Livestream.

Basically, you can put whatever 1-word you want in the stream ID. Nobody will see it. You then need to modify the following URL rtmp://publish.livestream.com/mogulus/[your_channel]/username=[username]/password=[password]/isAutoLive=true for your username/password settings. Be sure to remove the [] when you enter your info. If you are streaming in 16x9 you will also need to add /aspectWidth=16/aspectHeight=9 to the end of the string.

Given your bandwidth availability, you could pick the highest output. Normally between 500-700kbps. Remember, that whatever you send out, your users will need to be able to handle on the download.

I was just wondering if anyone had perfected this process since the release of the TCXD300 V3 update? The streaming settings have changed and it now includes a "web based" option.

Basically, like the OP, I want to stream to livestream.com and have my viewers able to see the stream on both mobile AND desktop devices.

Livestream says the only way to do that is via their ProCaster solution, but I'm wondering if I can achieve the same thing with a custom profile in the Tricaster (given that it appears to be the Flash Media Encoder under the hood).

Anyone come across a good solution for this??

Matthew P

Just pontificating as I don't use Livestream anymore.. but is the Procaster interface a web interface? If so, you should be able to access it and configure whatever you need from within Tricaster. The interface just drops in to the background when you "close" it after starting a stream. So it works differently than the old idea of building a "stream profile," and instead works much more like a Webcam, where you use the CDN interface to select the Tricaster as the video source.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    PodCaster is their own encoder and does not use FMLE. You will need to find a CDN that has the ability to take a RTMP and allow it to do what you want. Another way is to do the stream yourself using a Wowza media instance on the Amazon cloud to take your RTMP from your TriCaster and then stream to desktop or mobile.
    This may change in the near future with Adobe now doing HTTP streaming but not yet through the TriCaster directly.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    Just pontificating as I don't use Livestream anymore.. but is the Procaster interface a web interface? If so, you should be able to access it and configure whatever you need from within Tricaster. The interface just drops in to the background when you "close" it after starting a stream. So it works differently than the old idea of building a "stream profile," and instead works much more like a Webcam, where you use the CDN interface to select the Tricaster as the video source.
    No it's their own encoder so a standalone application.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Just make sure you have the main concept AAC plugin loaded on the TriCaster for the iOS devices.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Guys, thanks so much for your replies! Can I ask you to unpack a couple of those answers?

Jef, are you saying that if I use the AAC encoder on the Tricaster, I just push ONE stream, and it will be viewable on mobile and desktop devices alike? I presume that means that I need to select ONE bit rate as a compromise and go with that? Can I ask you to share your TriCaster encoder settings so that I have a baseline to work from (I'll have to wind them back, as we're in Australia and the Livestream performance can be choppy due to congestion on the Pacific link).

Jose, I am intrigued by your answer, and would love to hear about other options for the destination of my stream. I am not "tied" to livestream in any way, so perhaps there is a better way for me to go about this??

Matthew P

yes I'd like to know more about AAC. Would like an easy way to get stream out of Tricaster into Mac Mini w/ Lion. Have tried Matrox w Thunderbolt Adaptor but Matrox Vetura Capture drops frames and crashes.

I just thought I'd keep this thread alive with what I am finding out along the way.

I purchased the AAC encoder from MainConcept and installed it on the Tricaster. You then need to edit one of the profiles (or even better, create a new one based on an existing one) by opening up the Flash Media Encoder back in Windows, navigating to the profile you want to use as a base, and change the Audio Encoding to AAC (I then saved that profile to the same location as the others and put "AAC" at the end of the profile name to make it easy to choose from the list back in the TriCaster).

I'm now experimenting with bitrates to see which will give me the best compromise of playability on portable devices and quality on desktop devices, and I'm sorry to say the news isn't great. A "playable" bitrate on my iPhone connected to good WiFi looks pretty lousy on the desktop!

I did experiment with sending TWO bitrates to Livestream.com (you'll need a "%i" at the end of your stream name in the TriCaster), but that didn't give me the effect I was after (it just gave me two separate "camera inputs" in Livestream's "Producer" console). Livestream.com support confirmed that the "two bitrate" scenario is only available by using their "ProCaster" app, but I suspect it would be do-able in the FME if only you knew the correct syntax.

I don't want to push out to a separate computer due to the added complication for my students (simplicity being the main attracting of the beautiful TriCaster for teaching & learning), so for now I'm stuck with EITHER showing lousy quality on the desktop or not offering a stream to mobile. Bit of a shame really!

Anyway, Livestream are now beta-ing their "new" system, so I just have my fingers crossed that it offers this "dual bitrate" feature to users of that system.

More as it comes to hand...

MP

Livestream is beta testing the new Procaster now. Still looks like that will be the only way to achieve a multibit stream to both mobile and desktop. I did notice that when I launched Procaster it recognized my Blackmagic Multibridge as a source and marked it as a certified device. I'm wondering if the UltraStudio by Blackmagic will work the same.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Studio_3D.html

Thunderbolt compatible so you could go SDI out from the Tricaster right to a Mac laptop running the Procaster. Not ideal but definitely a workable solution.

Thanks for that. Still not ideal, adding a device just to add a stream.

If Livestream can offer multi-rate streaming from FME but they choose to lock it down to just ProCaster, that would be a terrible business decision, forcing people onto other solutions (as it will certainly do for me). It's just not acceptable to not have an "any screen, any size" solution.

If it's some sort of technical issue, well then it is what it is I guess.

What a shame.

mp