Thread: Stonehenge Dissertation Project

Newbie Member

Stonehenge Dissertation Project

Hello!

I am in my university final year and I am using Lightwave to replicate some real life stonehenge images.

Here are two of my renders so far.

There are some imperfections I know regarding matching the models to the projections, but I have 4 of these to create and time does not allow for perfection here unfortunately, but I am still curious to see everybody's views on it and improvements for future projects.

I welcome all criticism, but please know that I have only been using Lightwave for about 6 months (alongside university) and I am still breaking the surface

These are both done using simple front projection mapping.

Hi Dogman... can you post the original background plate too? Just want to know what I'm comparing here.

It's good to see that Universities are still using Lightwave... that's always good news, and when I did my degree this forum was HUUUGELY useful, so now it's time to repay the favour!

I'm wondering what the project/brief is for this... has the BG got any stones in it?

As far as I can tell, the stones look pretty good, but finding it tricky to know what is projection mapped.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Hi Dogman... can you post the original background plate too? Just want to know what I'm comparing here.

It's good to see that Universities are still using Lightwave... that's always good news, and when I did my degree this forum was HUUUGELY useful, so now it's time to repay the favour!

I'm wondering what the project/brief is for this... has the BG got any stones in it?

As far as I can tell, the stones look pretty good, but finding it tricky to know what is projection mapped.
    Hello lardbros,

The whole picture is projection mapped, the aim was to simply recreate a real life photo onto a 3D scene, which is what my project is about.

I simply created the models and ground to match the photo, projected the stone and ground textures onto the models.

It was all too easy though, so what I did was take this original into photoshop, replace the lighted areas so that I ended up with a flatly lit photograph, and then lit it using Lightwave, so all the lighting in the render is artificial.

Regarding Lightwave though, unfortunately it is not nicely accepted by the students in Northumbria University. Reason being is many students there are after jobs in the gaming industry (including me), and when we look for jobs all we see is requirements for Autodesk software.

Couple this with absolutely woeful tutoring of Lightwave, and we get a lot of disgruntled students. I am taking the effort to learn it on my own though, I spent about £50 on some fantastic books by Wordware publishing and I think my learning really took off. A couple of years ago I hated Lightwave as I found it extremely unintuitive(sp?) and difficult to learn without proper tutoring. I am not one to learn off simply by tutorials too, I like to understand what I'm doing and being a beginner at the time it was difficult.

Its just extremely annoying that I have to waste time doing totally irrelevant university assignments when I could spend my time learning 3D.
    Last edited by DoGMaN X; 03-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.

I see what you're saying, this seems almost a pointless task really... I could understand if you were putting other 3d objects into the scene and using the stone henge stones as shadow catcher type objects, that would work very well.
    Shame about the lack of interest in Lightwave, it seems that way at most Uni's these days.

Once you've learnt one, you should be able to pick any other 3d stuff up with a few weeks... it will take years to learn the detailed bits, but you can hit the ground running once you've got the basics in hand.

Northumbria eh? My bro went there, and I went to Teesside... miss the North a lot! Tutors don't tend to help very much it seems... they didn't much when I was there either... i think taking upon yourself to learn is definitely a good plan, and those wordware books are awesome, a good purchase. Keep up the learning!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    I see what you're saying, this seems almost a pointless task really... I could understand if you were putting other 3d objects into the scene and using the stone henge stones as shadow catcher type objects, that would work very well.
    Shame about the lack of interest in Lightwave, it seems that way at most Uni's these days.

Once you've learnt one, you should be able to pick any other 3d stuff up with a few weeks... it will take years to learn the detailed bits, but you can hit the ground running once you've got the basics in hand.

Northumbria eh? My bro went there, and I went to Teesside... miss the North a lot! Tutors don't tend to help very much it seems... they didn't much when I was there either... i think taking upon yourself to learn is definitely a good plan, and those wordware books are awesome, a good purchase. Keep up the learning!
    I must admit I feel the same way regarding the point of the tasks, but thats university for you.

It hasnt been totally pointless for me though, I have learnt a lot on how Lightwave works and some basic techniques.

Regarding what you said about the detailed 3D most time consuming to learn, I totally agree. I used to use 3ds Max in my second year for a few months, I get the feeling about 80% of the stuff I learnt with Lightwave can be passed back should I need to move. I suppose learning how to use the software is not difficult, its what to do with it.

This is my second picture, I diverted a bit from replicating the original picture and took a bit of a side in experimenting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16_render_4.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	93652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	figure3.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	93653  

Hi @DoGMaN X,

I'm trying to create online course (program) tasks for my students. Stonehedge could be one of the examples for the optional or additional projects/assignments I'm planning for the practical part and final group project.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLewis View Post
    http://buyessays.cheap/terry-lewis-course

Hi @DoGMaN X,

I'm trying to create online course (program) tasks for my students. Stonehedge could be one of the examples for the optional or additional projects/assignments I'm planning for the practical part and final group project.

Edit: Could you please share your project via Dropbox or Google Drive? I'm having issues with images here on the forum.