Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Set Editor Trial

Virtual Set Editor Trial

Is there any plans to release a trail version of Virtual Set Editor?

If there are, I'm not aware of them, but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions, for whatever little that may be worth.

Edit: Just to mention it, the new TCXD850 video mention in this thread shows a glimpse of VSE.
    Last edited by SBowie; 03-03-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

VSE Questions

Thanks, I do have a few questions.

1) Can you replace textures within a LiveSet, not just change the hue but change the texture it self, wood to steel for example?

2) Can you import your own 3D objects, such as object made in Lightwave?

3) Is there plans to make a Lightwave Plugin or something similar to create your own LiveSets for the XD series? I already know about the SDK but that is limited and complicated.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rifftrax View Post
    1) Can you replace textures within a LiveSet, not just change the hue but change the texture it self, wood to steel for example?
    For 'fixed' objects like a desk, or wall in supplied LiveSet template, you can process the color (proc amp style), but not really change the object or its original texture, no.

In some of the layered templates, which are basically layer upon layer of placeholders, you could essentially create whatever you want by importing imagery rendered in your app of choice, though. Likewise, and maybe even more so for layered .psd files that you create externally and convert to LiveSets in VSE. (In many respects, this latter process would be much like what we did formerly for SD LiveSets in Aura using the LiveSet plugin).
    2) Can you import your own 3D objects, such as object made in Lightwave?
    Not as an .lwo, no, but in many if not all cases, you can certainly render a LW object to a 32bit format in LW, and then inject the rendered image into a LiveSet template in VSE (some limitations, depending on the set design).
    3) Is there plans to make a Lightwave Plugin or something similar to create your own LiveSets for the XD series?
    I don't know of any, if there are.
    I already know about the SDK but that is limited and complicated.
    Complicated, indeed - but limited? I can't really agree with that, I'm afraid. It's really quite powerful. (Not a lot of fun, unless you're a geek whose knob is turned up to 11, but powerful ...)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks

It is most likly that I am to limited to understand the power of the SDK

It is certainly not for the faint of heart, you've got that right. (VSE is so much friendlier, it's amazing though. I don't think I can overstate the value of being able to convert PSDs to LiveSets.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't think I can overstate the value of being able to convert PSDs to LiveSets.)
    I'll second that! It's like having Photoshop directly connected to your switcher. So cool!

Kris

What does Virtual Set Editor recognize in a PSD other than a "input a" or "input b" layer name. Its only giving us generic options to tweek (hue, saturation, IRE etc) on every layer in the PSD except "input a" or "input b".

The ready made preset virtual sets have window options and allows us to drop in an image. Its not letting us with a PSD. What can I do to change this?

I think of it more as the VSE is only as powerful as the .psd it's given.
    Right now the sets we are developing have channels for everything from specular, reflection, and shadows to UV coordinates, depth, and material ID maps for replacing textures and dof controls. Lightwave has a good PSD Exporter. I've actually had to reign myself in from going too far overboard.
    Granted you can't use UV coordinates in Photoshop (or VSE), but you can use them in After Effects or Fusion and you can use them to paste your logo onto a curving pillar or perpectively map onto a floor, or change from one wood texture to another.
    The VSE sets we are making are so cool they will have a market outside the VSE because of their advanced layering features and channels. Pretty exciting stuff for me (geek knob turned to 11).
    Eric Pratt
    Virtualset.com - Virtual Set Marketplace
    Virtualsetworks.com - Tricaster Virtual Sets
    Virtualsetworks on Facebook - Get Social

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by domeprod View Post
    What does Virtual Set Editor recognize in a PSD other than a "input a" or "input b" layer name. Its only giving us generic options to tweek (hue, saturation, IRE etc) on every layer in the PSD except "input a" or "input b".

The ready made preset virtual sets have window options and allows us to drop in an image. Its not letting us with a PSD. What can I do to change this?
    Right now, you would have to trick it as far as changing a window image and I'll use that as an example.
    Layer input b
    Layer room with windows hang alpha channel
    Layer input b
    Layer input a

If you bring this into VSE, you use the first input b and use the drop down menu to choose an image. Choose a skyline image and scale, position, rotate as well as the other color setting. Now because the room with windows have the alpha, you will see it behind the windows.
    Next use the next input b for your b and the layer a for your a.
    This is a simplistic example but should convey the way to trick the VSE PSD import function for some of your needs.

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Pratt View Post
    I think of it more as the VSE is only as powerful as the .psd it's given.
    Right now the sets we are developing have channels for everything from specular, reflection, and shadows to UV coordinates, depth, and material ID maps for replacing textures and dof controls. Lightwave has a good PSD Exporter. I've actually had to reign myself in from going too far overboard.
    Granted you can't use UV coordinates in Photoshop (or VSE), but you can use them in After Effects or Fusion and you can use them to paste your logo onto a curving pillar or perpectively map onto a floor, or change from one wood texture to another.
    The VSE sets we are making are so cool they will have a market outside the VSE because of their advanced layering features and channels. Pretty exciting stuff for me (geek knob turned to 11).
    Yeah I've been doing it this way for a long time staring with SD TriCaster sets I was compositing in Aura but forget about that. Eric this even has bigger uses and one being product packaging previz. See you render out the UVW texture and then design a template to populate the texture. So if you render a cereal box and render out say 360 degree animation with the UVW pass. Now you feed the texture template for the cereal box and a client can previz how the box will look with it's art work with zero rendering, just a single image. Add the normal pass and you could also change the lighting for the fastest packaging previz around. Same for all kind packaging like shapoo bottles, jars of jam, detergent containers, etc.
    Of course you can do this in LiveSet but will have only only angle of the package at a time but that is not so bad either because of the instant display with the proper image feeding the LiveSet channel.

Anyway I went a little of topic but it's even better than you think Erik!

PS this year was the first time I delivered a XD LiveSet and the AE UVW version to a client as they had special needs. As always, I told them to use YouVeelizer plug-in.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    So if you render a cereal box and render out say 360 degree animation with the UVW pass. Now you feed the texture template for the cereal box and a client can previz how the box will look with it's art work with zero rendering, just a single image. Add the normal pass and you could also change the lighting for the fastest packaging previz around.
    Probably the most helpful thing I have ever read on this forum Jose. Rendering might be the biggest time killer of all time, especially for a novice such as myself (no I will not call myself a noob). Since you proclaim you went off topic a bit, i figured nobody would mind me coming in to give a simple thank you.

Now picture the cereal box is a virtual set.
    If only there were better support for UV and normal maps, I would love a plugin for Photoshop.
    Eric Pratt

I'm new to the Tricaster setting, I'm just wondering if I can say import a 3d object or file from lets say "Maya" or "Silo" into the Virtual Set Editor and from there into the Tricaster.

Cheers

Virtual Set Editor handles 2D data, so you would need to pass your 3d models as renderings. Preferably through Photoshop following the guidelines for creating an importable layered .psd file.
    Eric Pratt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast