Thread: What format would you archive to for highest quality?

What format would you archive to for highest quality?

I was having a discussion with another member of this board and was just curious what the rest of you are doing. I just finished my final SE project after 4 years of firggin tweaking. I got through it and I am done. Stick a fork in me. I am now Newtek free. I never went to SE 2.0. The only reason I was going to even keep my SE 1.5 was so that I could access my 8 years of RTV Uncompressed files. I keep them because I always worry that there will be another format in the future that I could transfer these high quality files to so it will look the best it could.

Here is the $64,000 question.....

If you were to leave Newtek behind forever tomorrow, and I am not suggesting any one of you should, what format would you render your projects out to assuming that you no longer had access to SE or VT to play back any of your projects?

For the record, if Newtek ever releases SE that is 64 bit and includes MultiCam, I will be back in a heartbeat.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Uncompressed BGR24

Or the HuffYUV codec.

Are most other editors such as Vegas, Adobe, Avid, etc able to open Uncompressed BGR24 and HuffYUV codecs?

If the computer has the codec installed, then the NLE should be able to open it.

So, if you are sending the file to somebody, you might need to send them the codec installer as well.

Lagarith is also a contender.

Lightbulb

In your situation, you might also try the Project Backup Wizard in the ToolShed; it does a fair (but not complete) job of isolating the source files which are actually used in the project.

I have found, however, that it tends to make duplicate copies of any files used inside a SubProject, and goes wonky with image sequences. So, after making a Project Backup, do not expect to be actually able to open the project from just the project backup. It will, however, give you back-up copies of "most" of the source files used in the project.

If you do an archival render of your project in a lossless format, this will be nice too. But what you might also like is to have the original source files around. And if you want to convert the source files from RTV to another codec, that is another idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Are most other editors such as Vegas, Adobe, Avid, etc able to open Uncompressed BGR24 and HuffYUV codecs?
    I 'think' BGR24 comes installed with windows and so should be available and opened by everything with no other installation needed. It's what I use daily to pop back and forth between SE and AE. Big files though. But uncompressed quality.

You will need to download the Huffy. It's lossless also but creates smaller files than BGR24.