Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lobby space

well i gave up on Photomatix, especially with LW10 its a bit easier to get good results for interiors without much postwork. But tonemapping inside LW would be a nice option though.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

great work otacon, stunning real as always!

Why have you choosed this painting on the wall? Are you a fan of informal abstract art?

You really should consider making a tutorial about interior rendering. This could help a lot of us to fill some gaps, and increase the realism level of Lw renders in community dramatically

Newbie Member
    Very, very nice Otacon.
    I agree with Svenart it would be great to see a tutorial on the process you used.
    I would love to learn more in this area and you seem to have it.
    Great work!

Very nice!

I agree on the tutorial part .

Also, LW10 would love this scene with its linear workflow. I would really like to see the result from it.

Thanks. I picked the art because I thought the colors worked well with the scene. I would't say I'm a huge fan of abstract art, but I liked this one.

I hear a lot about tutorials. I guess im not sure exactly what people want to see..like a step by step guide? I try to give out a lot of info in my threads on my light setup, post process, etc..If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

I've always believed you can only learn so much from settings and technical details. The best advice I've heard concerning 3d is "observation is key".

Very Impressive. You know i love your style, hu
    amazing picture !

Valu Vasconcelos
    Valu Animation Studios
    www.valu.com.br
    Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
    http://vimeo.com/97776292

Quote Originally Posted by otacon View Post
    I hear a lot about tutorials. I guess im not sure exactly what people want to see..like a step by step guide? I try to give out a lot of info in my threads on my light setup, post process, etc..If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
    If you say we can ask...
    Why's your raw render so dark? And how do you tonemap?
    Any particular reason for adding the bg image in post?
    Thanks!

Well, i guess the render is so dark because he added not enough light.
    You can do tonemapping in LWs image editor or like in his case use Photomatix ( http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html ). Simply changing the white and the blackpoint gives you some good impression. The rest is like everything in 3D try and error.
    ingo erik moltzen - virtual image maker --- www.im-graphics.com

ingo is right. The render is dark because there's not a lot of light. The great thing about 3d renders is they contain a lot of information in their raw format...hdr or exr. Even more dynamic range than a photograph. So when you use radiosity that bounced light is in the render even if you dont see it...you need to tonemap it to see the light. It's much easier to adjust brightness on a rendering using a couple of sliders in real time rather than adjusting light intensities in LW and doing a bunch of test renders to get it exactly right.

The bg was added in post because I didn't know what image I wanted to use when I was making the scene. Doing it in post let me drop different images back there to quickly see which one I liked best.
    Last edited by otacon; 01-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.

It's much easier to adjust brightness on a rendering using a couple of sliders in real time rather than adjusting light intensities in LW and doing a bunch of test renders to get it exactly right.
    Now that's a good answer! Everybody knows darkness is just absence of light!

The bg was added in post because I didn't know what image I wanted to use when I was making the scene. Doing it in post let me drop different images back there to quickly see which one I liked best.
    I see... But doing so you lose "reflections". In this case is barely noticeable, except for windows where there are no reflections at all, but maybe it is so on purpose. Ayways it's a really good job!

Nice Ota!

I would like to be as productive with my spare time .... :/
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

As usual fantastic stuff otacon

A step by step guide would be wonderful. For those of us struggling with lighting, just seeing your settings and how you set it up would be terrific.

I had never looked at your website before but your work is beautiful. The interiors are gorgeous.

I really like your pictures. The light is amazing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12