Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: comparing Dell vs Mac

Prices on PC parts these days are almost sad. I just bought 8 gigs of RAM for < $100. I still remember shelling out $200 for 4 MEGS. If you go with PCs you can build rendering drones for $400 pretty easily and a really nice workstation for < $1,000. So for $2,000 you'd be much more productive. But that is, of course, with me assuming everyone wants to build their own.

Apple products are very well engineered and thought-out. Personally, I don't feel the extra planning is worth the mark-up, apple has notoriously high profit margins. But if you want a box you can plug in and run a certain application or two with no fuss, fixing and modifying at all, and have the cash, it's a solid option.

-Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Mac... overpriced imo, and too limited in availability of software, plugins, relative performance of that software compared to windows...

as for dell... wouldnt touch them with yours... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/te...gy/29dell.html
    Well, that happened too to Asus, Abit and many more manufacturers...
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    you can google and find articles (written by whom? with what bias? who buys ads in the magazine or paper?) bashing every computer maker out there. I imagine I can dig up a dozen articles saying Lightwave is the worst software made, or you can listen to actual people who use them.

I have yet to read a post in this thread from someone who actually owns a Dell and has problems, just people on with hunts searching for slamming articles.

7 Dells aged 1 to 6 years old running in this house 24/7/365 and all I have done repair wise is to replace a power supply in the quad core but that was because I overtaxed it with extra drives and a big honkin video card.

Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post
    I can't remember but I heard something about Dell's having some special hardware in them that made them hard to upgrade. Anyone know anything of this? I'm on a Mac now but looking at PC's in the future because of the graphics card situation.
    Most Dells use proprietary motherboards, but all the other components are pretty standard. That just means if your motherboard dies, you have to go to dell to get a replacement.

Personally, I roll my own, but if you can't build your own, Dell is your best option, IMO. Apple is way to expensive for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    Dell business Outlet....
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/notebo...ks&cs=28&s=dfb

Cheaper than you can build your own and same warranty as new

Dell Home Outlet
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/df.asp...df&cs=22&s=dfh

Yes, absolutely. I saved about 30% on a refurbished Latitude E6400 and it came with a 2 year warranty.

I've built my own PCs for about 15 years and have also repaired them. I've never had a PC out of commission for more than a day or two as the only failures I've had were power supplies and a hard drive. I reckon I've saved a fortune.
    i7 920 2.8Ghz, 12GB OCZ Gold, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Nvidia 250 GTS, Cheiftec A-135 750W, Zalman Z7
    Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz, 8GB Corsair Dominator, Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6, CiT PSU, Quadro FX4500

There are sites where you can find discount cupons for Dell, I've got one for the last Dell we bought.

Used to go the Dell route until I started building my own. Dell does use proprietary parts is what I've heard. Just the motherboard? Well that's the important part that everything plugs into. Rather go with a trusted mobo manufacturer then Dell. If their parts building is anything like the support you get with them, I'd steer clear.

Macs- just echoing what others have said. I'm sure they're nice, but I would hate to be another person on the boards complaining because someone's not porting a plug-in or giving us as good as version as those damn windows users.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 01-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Yes, I've been a good boy dstorer's Avatar
    IMO, Dell is junk. I have worked as an IT fixit guy for 'bout 11 years and when you get a 'new' Dell - the parts can be up to 3 years old. Also the Cro-mags they send out for onsite support?!? I had this guy shoving a heatsink onto the CPU trying to get it to 'click'. I'm talking 1/2" above the board and slamming it. He 'poo-poo'd' my complaints and then I had to get a new motherboard. Their saving grace is thier (other) support. I like HP, but the support is not as good as Dell.

I build my own. If you want RAM over 4GB = Win7. If you are up to it, check out Tiger direct for bundles, for about $600 +/-, you can get a sweet deal. Make sure the motherboard will support more than 4GB of RAM. Tomshardware.com can fill you in on what you are about to embark upon. Also, you can't call for support...

My first computer was a Mac, but PC is cheaper. It's give & take. Macs dont have (as far as I know) so much worry with spyware/virus', etc, but Macs == $$ and in the Lightwave arena, the lion's share of plugins are for the PC arena. I imagine that's due to the platform the developer works on and he/she may not have to time to port/support Mac.

Good luck with it...
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    -Thomas Edison

Mac sucks and PC rules.

get a Sony or Gateway

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Used to go the Dell route until I started building my own. Dell does use proprietary parts is what I've heard. Just the motherboard? Well that's the important part that everything plugs into. Rather go with a trusted mobo manufacturer then Dell. If their parts building is anything like the support you get with them, I'd steer clear.

Macs- just echoing what others have said. I'm sure they're nice, but I would hate to be another person on the boards complaining because someone's not porting a plug-in or giving us as good as version as those damn windows users.
    It appears that trend might be changing. Discreet is moving all their development effort to the Mac.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55166

Quote Originally Posted by DrVideo View Post
    It appears that trend might be changing. Discreet is moving all their development effort to the Mac.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55166
    I'm not sure one company that makes video editing software hardly indicates an industry trend. I haven't seen any indication that 3D developers are taking a similar route.

EDIT: And I see Neverko beat me to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    Mac sucks and PC rules.

get a Sony or Gateway
    Sony suck big time! they are expensive and very delicate. Their service is also expensive and bad. I had a Vaio desktop, a glass of water drop over the keyboard (in this model the keyboard is attached to the computer), this accident cost me $200 to replace the keyboard. The service insisted they had to erase my HD and reisntall windows or they won't fix the machine.

I'm a long time Dell PC user. My desktop is Dell, my laptop is Dell, my sisters laptop is Dell, I steer everyone to Dell.

On their website you can configure a system to your needs and their price is superb (just steer clear of the Alienware computers, they are expensive as hell!!). A few years ago my Dell desktop developed an issue with the hard drive and I rang Dell tech support to see if they could help. On reaching a tech support member, he took my phone number, I hung up, and he rang me back so the call was free!! He then talked me through the issue and it was fixed there and then. And on top of that, Dell rang back TWICE a couple of weeks later just to check everything was ok!! What superb customer service!!

I've not had any problems with updating the system either. Granted, this was minimual updates, new graphics card, new hard drive, installed a bluray drive. I didn't do anything big like updating the processor or something, but I've had no problems there either.

The only down side for updating is the BIOS is very resticted in what you can mess with, but in all fairness, they've never caused me a problem.

Another thing I like about Dell is that they give you physical discs of the software you ordered and that comes on the system. I hate it when folks buy a computer, not Dell, and they have to create their own backup discs from the installed software. Burned CD-R's/DVD-R's don't have the shelf life of a proper factory created disc and one friend I know lost his own system due to one of his burned system restore discs no longer being readable.

As for Mac, I don't have a Mac, but I am getting one. BUT it's only because I want to get into App development for the iPhone and iPad, I will not be moving my setup over to Mac. Mac is very expensive, I have to say that. A Windows 7 Dell computer will do just fine and if I was setting up a professional computer graphics business, I'd be getting a powerhouse PC from Dell, and not a Mac.

Just my input to the question.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast