Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: comparing Dell vs Mac

comparing Dell vs Mac

I had an earlier post on the difference between MAC and Windos and that could turn into a lot post, but heck, thats how we learn. If I were in a business of doing animation, I would opt for a MAC, but that would included setting up a new enviorment, since I have been a Windows user for eons. I can ill afford a MAC Pro at present time.

The more I learn doing Lightwave, the more RAM I need and also with using Zbrush, that really adds up on the RAM. My present computer is a XP professional with only 3.5 RAM since the other .5 RAM went elsewhere, as this computer only goes to 4 RAM.

I got a quote from Dell for a Studio XPS 9100 with Intel Core i7 8 MB. and 8GB of RAM and a Nvidia G310 512 MB DDR3 and 1TB serial ATA hard drive for a little over 1 thouand (no monitor). This should satisfy my hunger for RAM, I want your thoughts on this...I know that MAC user are loyal to the max, and I do not blame them, but they are expensive.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    IMO Apple makes awesome hardware. Their computers are sleek, SILENT, well built and dependable. The closest PC manufacturer I have seen to equaling the build quality of an Apple is by far and away Dell. And when or if it does come time to upgrade or repair a Dell, everything is easily removable and accessible without any tools (well minus a fan.)

My opinion anyway

ps ... I am not a Lightwave user. I am speaking as more of a hardcore computer user in general.. not software specific

Quote Originally Posted by lreyes View Post
    If I were in a business of doing animation, I would opt for a MAC, but that would included setting up a new enviorment,
    Why? do macs now come with good graphic cards?

I can't remember but I heard something about Dell's having some special hardware in them that made them hard to upgrade. Anyone know anything of this? I'm on a Mac now but looking at PC's in the future because of the graphics card situation.

Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post
    I can't remember but I heard something about Dell's having some special hardware in them that made them hard to upgrade. Anyone know anything of this? I'm on a Mac now but looking at PC's in the future because of the graphics card situation.
    I have 7 Dells running in my house now (one laptop) and have never had any problem updating any of them. I may have not come across the particular problem you speak of.
    The only extra research I have done was to make sure I bought RAM the machines liked. Some Dells are a little finicky in adding an extra graphic card. ie if you add a PCI card, you can't use both onboard graphics and the pci, but that is pretty easily found through research also.

Other than that, hard drives, dvds, fans, all go in and out no problemo. (for me at least)

I use a Mac for everything other that LW. I just don't want to spend the money on Apple tax if I can help it.

Third option:

Build your own, or as I do get a small shop to put the parts together that you want. Not only will they be cheaper, you won't be wasting money on parts you don't need.

This box is a bit long in the tooth but is typical of cost per GHz compared to a named brand. It was about $300 per GHz & a new Apple was about $500 per GHz.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100802

If you are after render nodes, some new bare bones i7 2500 would be the go.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Dell business Outlet....
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/notebo...ks&cs=28&s=dfb

Cheaper than you can build your own and same warranty as new

Dell Home Outlet
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/df.asp...df&cs=22&s=dfh

I build my own systems by going around and researching all of the parts that I need and making sure they are compatible with everything. This process takes sometimes months, since I shop for a long time while saving for a system and tech changes so much. But I did manage to build my system a little over a year ago for around $1200 while a Dell or other pre-built system like HP and the like with the same features would have run me around $1800 at the time. I get a good base going which is upgradeable and expandable into the future and go from there.
    --Andrew
    Bono Animo Esto

Intel Core i5 3570k
    nVidia GTX 970
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Im using Dell on both desktop and laptop, must say I've never have any issues at all. At work Im a Mac. Im happy with both of them, my only issue is OS.
    Macs are smooth
    Windows is... well, you know
    Dell XPS 8930 8-Core i9 9900K - 64GB DDR4 - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - Windows 10
    MSI Prestige PS63 4-Core i7 8565U - 16GB DDR4 - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q - Windows 10

Custom Build

W5680 x 2 $3900
    Supermicro X8DAL-I $590
    Ram 24 gb ecc $800
    Intel 80 gb SSD $250
    1 tb HD WD $100
    Supermicro 865w ps $370
    Chenbro case sr105 $180
    HS x 2 Noctua $160
    2 extra Noctua case fans $50
    DVD/CD $40
    OS Win7 Ultimate $230
    GTX 460 $230

Total $6900

$172.50 per GHz, at 3.33 (total 40 GHz)
    $162.35 per GHz turbo (total 42.5 GHz)

This is what I would buy now for my purposes.
    (au$ & we are still paying a premium let alone the exchange rate)
    Last edited by JonW; 01-19-2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

nvm
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Mac... overpriced imo, and too limited in availability of software, plugins, relative performance of that software compared to windows...

as for dell... wouldnt touch them with yours... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/te...gy/29dell.html
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Haha...I remember reading bad stuff about dell for some time....pass on them and look for a different brand.

Kuzey

I was wondering when someone would mention this of Dell.

PC: Build your own.
    Mac: Buy what you can afford.

They are all just boxes of rocks. It's you and your whims and wishes that make any difference at all.
    Robert Wilson
    i-7-4770k @3.5ghz, Titan, GTX 1660 Ti, et al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast