Thread: When UV mapping do you absolutely have to unweld all your points?

When UV mapping do you absolutely have to unweld all your points?

I am trying to figure out how to UV map in Lightwave. I was pretty much a pro in Maya but from the tutorials I've seen it would seem that I have to throw everything I know out the window. It seems so backwards and messy to have to unweld points just to get a selection on the UV map like you want it.

Also, if I choose to do the UV layout in "Headus UVlayout" will the UVs be used when I import the OBJ into Lightwave? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    The unwelding points thing aint necessary, but is helpful in certain situations, or for pulling off certain tricks. These tricks, however, really realte to the god awful UVing workflow in LW itself which I tend to find, unless ur really into it, is probs best avoided.

This goes double if you've got UVlayout... Ive been using it for a few years myself, and its so awesome and fast... So yes, go there, and as for importing back to LW, sure, works fine... just bring your obj into LW and all the UV data is good. The only thing to be aware of is that theres LW only data like surface shading, weightmaps, morphs, etc, which won't export in and out with the obj format... so either UV your mesh first, then continue working on the other stuff once it's brought back to LW, or take a peek around for the different methods of transferring UVs from an imported obj to your original lwo, making sure to watch for point order matchup, etc.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

well my advice would be to download the plg plugins: http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

these tools are really important for my workflow. the packing plugin is amazing.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

UV unwarp works not too bad with PLG UV I think, it's indeed the only way to have a nice unwarped map right inside modeler...in some cases I just unweld the points that needed to be "cut", launch PLG and it's working fine, just have to automatic merge the points after this...(I'm often unwelding points cause PLG selection method is sometime a pain)
    But for sure, unwarping in core will be more than welcome!

I understand that you unweld when using plg. I actually use plg's selection method. It can be a pain because it's hard to zoom where you want. But the Advance Selection works very well.

Just keep in mind that the PLG UV tools will not run on the Mac v10 and will not run on the Mac 9.6UB (intel) version of LW either. If you're on windows def. get them!

How do I install plug-ins? I found the one's you guys recommended! Thanks for all your help!

Rida2

That's an easy one - Go to Utilities/ Add plugin, and choose the plugin to add. Be careful not to delete your existing plugins.
    On a counternote, Ive never used Maya. What made you change to Lightwave- what are the pros and cons of Maya vs Lightwave.
    Cutting geometry also gives u the ability to quickly layer your parts one over the other , and without worrying about seams, and gives you freedom of a multimesh!
    Rida2.

Devastatin'
    I swear by those PLG tools, they improve UV mapping in lightwave 1000x

if you want you can also create different groups just like zbrush. Assign different surfaces to the different parts you want and plg will use those to create uv islands.

Anyone using 3D-Coat to UV map with Lightwave?

Other than the one issue where 3D-Coat doesn't like layers sharing a UV map, it seems like a good match, especially as the 3D-Coat/Lightwave appllink support from Liberty3d.com is now out and the 'official' one from 3D-Coat will be out in a day or two.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7308