Thread: photoshop cs5 question

photoshop cs5 question

i saw a tutorial video where it's possible to place textures on a 3d model inside photoshop CS5, is this tool more convenient than putting the UV maps with lightwave layout?

at the moment i only have photoshop version 5, i'm thinking of updating to photoshop cs5 if this new adobe tool will make texturing faster. i want to ask the experiences of other LW users who use photoshop cs5 first before i purchase an upgrade. thanks.

I believe you're talking about directly painting on the model in Photoshop, similar to using a program like Deep Paint, 3dCoat or Zbrush, which you can't do in Layout or Modeler.

A guy at work has used the Photoshop method, and while it works, it isn't as robust as using one of the above mentioned apps. I know he was having problems painting across seams which might be fixed in CS5 but I couldn't tell you for sure.

You could probably use a mix of the Photoshop 3d painting technique and the more old school way of painting on a flat UV layout.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

CS5 Extended has extensive 3D tools available & this is pretty easy to do, but it's pricey & the standard version doesn't have that in it.
    Warren Christiansen
    Core i7 3.2Ghz
    12GB Ram
    Windows7 64
    Geoforce GTX285

It is quite handy. One advantage is that you can still open each texture as a flat file, so simultaneous 3d and 2d painting is simple, and setting up two views, one for each, is quick. Another advantage is being able to paint diffusion, bump, reflection, environment, luminance, etc. maps directly in Photoshop.

Do not expect stellar performance, though - it depends mainly on your opengl speed. On my modded 5870-->v8800 it runs smooth most of the time. On slow, basic video hardware it's a pig to use.

Why not download the CS5 PH Extended trial, and see for yourself before committing your cash?

i saw a tutorial video where it's possible to place textures on a 3d model inside photoshop CS5, is this tool more convenient than putting the UV maps with lightwave layout?
    You will still have to uv-map your model before importing in Photoshop. Though Photoshop can do a remap (either based on less stretching or not), it means you will have to export the model from Photoshop back into Lightwave for the textures to match. I would stay away from PH's uv-mapping - no control whatsoever over the process.