Thread: Time Warp in point

Time Warp in point

Is there a way to adjust the timing on the in point? For example, if you saw a great basketball play, you hit the in point & it adjusts to a pre-determined time shift...say 5 seconds before you hit the 'in' and gives you more of the play. Marking in's was easy with football, just hit it at the snap of the ball. It is more challenging with other sports when you don't know when the play actually starts. We typically have the clips in DDR1 on cue so when we wipe to them they start playing right away.

Jon, I learnt a great tip for just this reason. PC games are a pain to know what's about to happen as you cant see the entire map from one viewpoint.

When you see a great play, hit Replay Out, then scrub back to the beginning of the play and hit "I" on the keyboard.

This will add an in cue point so that when you play the DDR1 it only plays the segments from this point. This allows for a "highlights" reel to play out at the end of the game too.

Recording proceeds as normal so you can repeat this as many times as you wish.
    Last edited by Cabe; 12-09-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Very cool. We've tried scrubbing back before but with it on Cue it would always take us to the beginning of the clip no matter where on the clip we were. This sounds like it would work. Thanks

Would hitting "O" mark the out as well if we wanted to trim it up?

All models also support one or another method of interactively trimming playlist items, in addition to the i and o keyboard shortcuts, Jon.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I took a quick look & it seems as if this won't work for us. We do graphics from the text tab & the ddr shortcuts don't work with the text tab open. Flipping back and forth between tabs is too cumbersome.
    This is for the Studio version...forgot to mention that.

replays

Good evening
    Finally received Time Warp tonight. Now I am very frustrated. I was thinking I could Record output on an external hard rive, while using TW for Instant replays. I guess not true.

I also see that you have to know in advance when a goal is scored so you can record it. I guess I have to research previous message about "I" and "o" keys.

Does the entire "output" get saved as a series of files if you are using TW? I just checked my files and it appears as though this is true. If so at the end of the game I could concatenate all these segments and have the entire game, along with a series of shorter "hilite" clips ?

Very disappointing, especially for the dollars paid.
    Any comments or suggestions, please? Whit
    Last edited by hughdemand; 12-09-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hughdemand View Post
    If so at the end of the game I could concatenate all these segments and have the entire game, along with a series of shorter "hilite" clips ?
    Much as I hate to disappoint someone who can use "concatenate" correctly in a sentence, I'm afraid you can't count on that, Whit. Even if you are careful, you'll run the risk of a missing frame here and there. When using TriCaster for dual duty, as both a live production and replay system, you really need an outboard solution for a master recording (really, that's never a bad idea, for failsafe purposes).

That said, a lot of people use TW very happily, and I I'm pretty confident you'll find you can too. I'd suggest a little quality time with the manual, a little practice, and then drop back in here for a few tips.
    Last edited by SBowie; 12-10-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Just for info:

TC Broadcast (and also our TCXD850) loses exactly 1 frame when you press the "OUT" button on TW.

So everytime you record a new replay you will lose one frame of your recording between the two files.

BTW.: That applys to PAL modes only - I didn't check this for NTSC or 30fps.

Cheers

Pro.

Time Warp & recording

Ah, the sombre (or is it sober) light of day. After sleeping on Steve's advice and the knowledge previously divulged in this thread, I see the light!

Here at home this AM, I practiced (experimented) with a clock as the talent so I could determine if the timing coincided with all the button pushing etc.

0. Start the "Record Live Replay"
    1. Using the technique of hitting the "Replay Out" button 5 seconds after an event brings up a clip on the DDR1
    2. FWD this clip to 15 secs before the end and then hit "i" on the keyboard. (Assume "REPLAY IN" would accomplish the same thing). I then have a 20sec clip ready for replay.
    3. Meanwhile it would appear as though the action is still being recorded in the background , waiting for another "event" to occur.

Between periods I have a potential series of clips on the DDR1 ready for a hilite package.

The next AM I have a series of large files ready to be assembled to produce a entire game file with which I will produce a DVD. I can also include the entire hilites group of clips by replaying them from the DDR1 and "recording Live Output".

A dropped frame or two is not a factor in my level of work. hell I have missed a few minutes on occasion when I forgot to start "Record Live Output".

THank you folks.

Of course the real test is tonight and my TC man is in the hospital so I will probably have to move from Color commentator to the TC.
    Last edited by hughdemand; 12-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Good luck!
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Time Warp -

Thanks Paul

I am hoping I don't need it, well not too much of it. The last time I used a form of Instant Replay it was less than spectacular. Worked fine in practice but under duress..........

That time I was using a WINTV encoder and a laptop with a S-Video feed back to my mixer. Worked in theory!

I am all set up at the rink for tonight's game. My Number 2 TC operator is coming in and hoping she can get the sequence down before the 1st goal. I'm secretly hoping for a 1 - 0 game, easy on the replays and my game file.

Thanks everyone

Whit

Rtfm

Survived the streaming on Friday night. My #2 TC person was there and I tried explaining my technique for Intsant replay.

Luckily it was a low scoring game ( 2 - 1 for the bad guys) so a good game to experiment. She missed the 1st goal and we laughed it off. Captured the 2nd one OK. The 3rd goal pointed out weakness with my technique. Hitting "Replay Out" worked fine but there was a lot of video to step back thru to insert the "in" point.

Of course, on Saturday AM I did as was suggested, read the manual, and discovered 2 clicks get you to the end of the clip! Sure beat a 5 minute rewind with the jog shuttle.

So looks like we have the method down for next week, but the game is away and we will only have a 3 man crew, so I will be on the TC. Fingers crossed.

I made a DVD from the saved instant replay clips and any missing frames are not obvious. Should keep everybody happy.

Recorded to a SDHC from our #1 camera, HD is fantastic !

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Whit