Thread: NEWTEK... If you're listening

Newbie Member

NEWTEK... If you're listening

Why do I have to use Sony Vegas in order to edit in SpeedEdit? Come's in handy to convert AVCHD files larger than 4gig, but I've also had to use Vegas to export 24pa DV files to SpeedHQ since SpeedEDIT can't detect and remove the 2:3:3:2 pulldown. This should be a HUGE red flag for Newtek I would think. The main reason I still edit with SE is becuase I know it so well. Everytime I'm forced to use another editing package I get a little more comfortable in it and those blasphemous thoughts of “Wait, why do I still use SpeedEDIT” start creeping in.

It is NUTS to me that NewTek would put the effort into making a product like SpeedEDIT 2.0 and yet fall so short a few key areas. I have been a loyal NewTek patron since the “Digi View” days. I had Toaster 1.0, a Toaster 2.0, a toaster 4000, a toaster/flyer, a PC flyer, as well as VT2,3 & 5. In the interest of trying to make SpeedEdit 2.0 a viable solution for my editing needs, I posed a question to NewTek support today.

Simply put, since NewTek includes the line "Offers extended real-time preview and playback with support for Blackmagic Design™ and other compatible external video devices" in their marketing material, I asked what those devices would be? I want continuing to edit with SpeedEDIT, and since VT5 simply does not output HD video, I’m forced to mothball my VT5 card and look for other solutions.

I was told by NewTek support that” there is no way they could know what 3rd party devices would work with their software“. He then followed up with, “we focus our concerns with our software not 3rd party products.”
    Guys, (NEWTEK) don’t put it on your Marking Sheet if you can’t backup the claim! I am frustrated because every day it seems more and more inevitable that Final Cut is going to be in my future.

I may be ranting a little, but I just had to vent for a sec.
    Last edited by Kavik00; 12-08-2010 at 01:36 PM.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Kavik,
    The answer is that SpeedEDIT works splendidly with Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards.

There is not an official list, beyond compatibility with Blackmagic Design cards. If your video card is a DirectShow render device, it may support SpeedEDIT. If so, it will show up in the SpeedEDIT drop-down list of available devices.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavik00 View Post
    I am frustrated because every day it seems more and more inevitable that Final Cut is going to be in my future.
    Since "Final Cut" necessarily means that I would have to migrate to a Mac, that thought quickly vanishes. As a developer, I can't afford to be changing operating systems and/or hardware platforms every couple of years (and paying twice as much for it).

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post
    Since "Final Cut" necessarily means that I would have to migrate to a Mac, that thought quickly vanishes. As a developer, I can't afford to be changing operating systems and/or hardware platforms every couple of years (and paying twice as much for it).
    Now THIS guy I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lara View Post
    Kavik,
    The answer is that SpeedEDIT works splendidly with Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards.

There is not an official list, beyond compatibility with Blackmagic Design cards. If your video card is a DirectShow render device, it may support SpeedEDIT. If so, it will show up in the SpeedEDIT drop-down list of available devices.
    Paul - Blackmagic states that their Intensity Shuttle device will work with a USB 3 interface. Now excuse my ignorance here, but can a USB device be DirectShow compatable. I have been trying to see if this will work with my laptop since it does have USB 3 capabilities and this device would be a perfect fit for me. Hate to buy one of these devices only to find out that it is nothing more than a paperweight. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

LightWave Fan Boi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Videonut View Post
    Paul - Blackmagic states that their Intensity Shuttle device will work with a USB 3 interface. Now excuse my ignorance here, but can a USB device be DirectShow compatable. I have been trying to see if this will work with my laptop since it does have USB 3 capabilities and this device would be a perfect fit for me. Hate to buy one of these devices only to find out that it is nothing more than a paperweight. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    The Intensity Shuttle is capable of working with directshow, however, the shuttle has been plagued with problems that BlackMagic are (apparently) still working on. A lot of people who own it seem to view it as in beta when used with Directshow enabled third party apps (Adobe CSx suites included). Even with a driver update, many Directshow apps fail to be seen by the Shuttle, but the feeling is that the problem is more down to Directshow than the shuttle.

I know that it works great with Media Express, but since that doesn't use directshow that's to be expected.

I'd say if you buy one, keep your receipt in a safe place.

Shabazzy