Thread: dual display off laptop

dual display off laptop

In the process of updating my laptop so that I can use
    speed edit either at home or on the road. Do I have to have a specific graphics card on the laptop that will accommodate dual independent display, so left side is timelime and right side is pgm, pst, capture or however I choose to set it up? I was editing on a desktop and that config was no problem. Have not tried this on a laptop so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the info

I run twin 24's off my laptop - one connected to a VGA port, the other to the HDMI port.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Blog Entries
    As Steve says.

So long as your laptop has video ports (vga, hdmi, s-video, etc) that your operating system has drivers for, then you should be able to connect and use an external monitor with it, no problem.

This all assumes that you know how to use your OS to configure the display settings of the laptop.

Shabazzy

Thanks to both of you. Yes I configured my desktop when
    I bought VT3 years ago, and I will be updating to Windows 7 for OS on the laptop. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't a specific graphics card required to produce the independent displays from the edit preferences. Have always used a desktop, so this will be new for me. I appreciate the information.
    Let me ask this, would an I5 processor with an ati HD5730 graphics card be more than enough, or should I go with the i7. There seems to be a lot of combinations, but I would like to buy something that won't be antiquated within a couple years. Should I also be sure to get windows 7 64bit. I have read that speededit was designed for 32 bit. Will it be a problem if I go with the 64bit. Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    The processor rule is always going to be, buy as much power as you can afford. Graphics programs are incredibly maths intensive and always require large amounts of number crunching power.

SE is very fortunate to be written in a very clever way and works efficiently with whatever processing power you possess. So generally speaking, you probably won't notice that much difference in performance from a Pentium 4 dual processor setup, Core 2 Duo/Quad or i3/5/7/9 setup. With SE it's all good.

The only reason you'd need a really powerful processor is if you are using other tools that require the raw processing power they offer, such as 3D programs, composition programs, data analytic programs (spreadsheets, databases, maths), photo manipulation programs, etc.

As for 64bit OSs, it's true that SE is written for 32bit OSs, but it will run fine with 64bit OSs too. It just won't take advantage of the things that 64bit OSs offer, such as speed and memory addressing increases.

So to sum up, if you want to future-proof your setup, get as powerful a processor as you can afford and buy a 64bit OSs.

Hope this helps

Shabazzy