Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VT Availability Update

New-Tek Digi-View, with rgb color wheel, amiga 1000

Now that VT is EOL, it would be great if Newtek would extend firesale pricing for us loyal customers who didn't purchase VT[5] when the software upgrade price went up to 3 times what it was for previous versions. I would still buy this.

Thanks.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

A firesale of hardware and software perhaps. What are they going ot do with it otherwise?

Consultant
    Most likely use them for RMAs. The older cards for older systems, the newer cards for any VT, the Duo, TC100, Pro, ProFX, Studio, and Broadcast.

But I'll agree with you that the price point for the VT5 upgrade is out of whack.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland2 View Post
    New-Tek Digi-View, with rgb color wheel, amiga 1000
    My Calibar still works fine and is immensely useful.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

Friend of Prince of Space Ty Whitaker's Avatar

Board Trade Ins?

I thought that NewTek was offering a HUGE discount on a TriCaster when you traded in your VT5 boards. Wouldn't badllama and others be able to use this to help with costs?
    Ty Whitaker
    Video Production Supervisor. MTSU
    [email protected]

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Whitaker View Post
    I thought that NewTek was offering a HUGE discount on a TriCaster when you traded in your VT5 boards. Wouldn't badllama and others be able to use this to help with costs?
    Yes, but I believe their position is that what they currently have works great for them and they can't justify or afford the additional $15,000 outlay.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

SX-84 for sale

I do have an SX-84 available for those looking to expand their VT system.
    Contact me if you are interested.

[email protected]
    248-589-7778
    Jay Wiencko
    Executive Director
    Community Media Network
    1230 Souter Dr., Troy, MI
    248-589-7778
    [email protected]
    cmntv.org

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    End of an era. Certainly. I have been with Newtek (with the exception of the aberration with Play...gasp) since the .9 software, and while I've been around longer than most, I also knew this day would come... it is not without regret.

I simply cannot afford $25k to do HD. It is obvious that Newtek has lost its way offering exceptional value at exceptional prices.

I will continue to edit SD on the VT5 until it dies (format or computer), but it now looks like I will be going HD with a top of the line Mac (another gasp) and FCP and save $15k in the process.

I'll still be around and will certainly miss all my friends here... it was a very tight community at one time (remember the dial-up BBS?). That I'll miss as I'll be assimilated in to the Mac gang.

Thanks for everything, Newtek.

It's still a sad ending.
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

You know, I am personally more attached to VT than almost anyone else out there. For almost 6 years, I put about (at least) 14 hours a day into it at the expense of almost anything else ... ask my wife . At some level there is a piece of me in almost every feature in the product, starting at the lowest level of the UI toolkit right up to the design of things like the NLE.

The above said, I do not personally feel sad that VT is going away. It truly was a great product and had a great life... probably way beyond almost any other product on the market.

The new members of the TriCaster really are just as much part of VT (and Toaster) heritage as VT was. These products however reflect a lot of things that we learned in the VT days, for instance than making a product that relied on computers for cutting edge real-time processing was incredibly difficult and unreliable if you could not control the computer that the systems are running on. This has of course got worse since we need to have more features, in HD - which is 6x the bandwidth of SD. Computers have not kept pace with that level of processing change and so the need to optimize systems has become even more important than before.

Let me be honest however and offer the personal observation that the single channel hardware card and NLE market has changed dramatically since the Amiga and early VT days. Very few cameras now do not have some ability to bring data digitally onto a computer and it is no longer the market reality that you buy your NLE with the capture card (hence SpeedEDIT is available separately.)

No matter what, know that NewTek's ambitions and philosophies have not changed. Indeed, we are more driven and more ambitious and I believe are making products that are not just incremental improvements over the last ones.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    You know, I am personally more attached to VT than almost anyone else out there. For almost 6 years, I put about (at least) 14 hours a day into it at the expense of almost anything else ... ask my wife . At some level there is a piece of me in almost every feature in the product, starting at the lowest level of the UI toolkit right up to the design of things like the NLE.

The above said, I do not personally feel sad that VT is going away. It truly was a great product and had a great life... probably way beyond almost any other product on the market.

The new members of the TriCaster really are just as much part of VT (and Toaster) heritage as VT was. These products however reflect a lot of things that we learned in the VT days, for instance than making a product that relied on computers for cutting edge real-time processing was incredibly difficult and unreliable if you could not control the computer that the systems are running on. This has of course got worse since we need to have more features, in HD - which is 6x the bandwidth of SD. Computers have not kept pace with that level of processing change and so the need to optimize systems has become even more important than before.

Let me be honest however and offer the personal observation that the single channel hardware card and NLE market has changed dramatically since the Amiga and early VT days. Very few cameras now do not have some ability to bring data digitally onto a computer and it is no longer the market reality that you buy your NLE with the capture card (hence SpeedEDIT is available separately.)

No matter what, know that NewTek's ambitions and philosophies have not changed. Indeed, we are more driven and more ambitious and I believe are making products that are not just incremental improvements over the last ones.

Andrew
    Hello Andrew,
    My main question at this time is Newtek planning to expand the feature set of SE (stand alone and Tricaster)?
    Will the main upgrade be a new DVD engine?
    Thanks
    Rich

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    .....The new members of the TriCaster really are just as much part of VT (and Toaster) heritage as VT was. These products however reflect a lot of things that we learned in the VT days, for instance than making a product that relied on computers for cutting edge real-time processing was incredibly difficult and unreliable if you could not control the computer that the systems are running on. This has of course got worse since we need to have more features, in HD - which is 6x the bandwidth of SD. Computers have not kept pace with that level of processing change and so the need to optimize systems has become even more important than before.

Andrew

Understood, Andrew. Time marches on and waits for no one, etc. etc. etc.

I think many clearly understood the evolution of Newtek from the first day TC was announced. It was not simply a name change. It was the death knell of the VT.

As a very small shop, I simply cannot afford your products anymore. The "bang for a buck" always seemed to be the company mantra along with "television for everyone". I could *most* always afford to buy Newtek's products while keeping my business viable.

That is no longer true.
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

posted by ACross...

I, too, was sad to see the end of the VT, but, realistically, knew it was coming. Since most of my work right now is in SD and because I know the technology is solid, I'll be using my VT[5] system until it dies.

The Tricaster is certainly incredible technology for live TV production, but something that is overkill for what I do (animation and video editing). For me, $25,000 (or even $15,000) is too much to spend just to get a second copy of SE for HD editing.

Jim Capillo mentioned "exceptional value at exceptional prices" one of the strongest selling points in NewTek's arsenal that has attracted so many of us to NewTek in the first place and kept us here so long. From the Digi-view days, I set up our Cinema program at my university with the Amiga Video Toaster, then Lightwave, Video Toaster Flyers, VTs, and finally SE. One of my best students who became a top Lightwave animator in the industry, joined our faculty to teach Lightwave. We did all this and continue to teach Lightwave instead of Maya because of NewTek's "exceptional value at exceptional prices."

The standalone version of SE for people like me is a godsend. When several of us, me included, started beta testing v.2.0 about a year ago, enthusiasm was quite high. But for months now, we've heard nothing from NewTek about the bug reports we've already filed or any new builds to test. It's as if NewTek is discontinuing that product as well.

I sincerely hope that is not the case because SE is one NewTek product that keeps people like me loyal to NewTek. Sadly, though, SE is being eclipsed by other NLEs such as Premiere and Vegas and despite the many requests from users about SE's future, no word or answers have come from NewTek. This is what is frustrating me and, I'm sure, your loyal user base.

NewTek, in fact, owns two great programs that, if combined, could give other NLE's real runs from their money. I'm speaking of SE and Aura. Is there any thought of looking at this possibility? If so, I'm one beta tester who will place this kind of testing or any testing with SE as my top priority.

As for me, my limited funds are now directed at the purchase this spring of a high def camera (possibly the new Panasonic AF-100). By summer, I hope to have a dealer custom build a high-end video editing workstation integrating my VT[5], SX-84, and standalone copy of SE with the newer HD technology. All of this at a lot less cost than the Tricaster. My hope is that SE will be my primary editing software on that new system.

Could we hear from you about what NewTek is doing with or plans to do with Speed Edit? Those of us with limited funds (I'm on Social Security and a small pension) and no use for the live TV production features of the Tricaster would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by dweinkauf View Post
    The Tricaster is certainly incredible technology for live TV production, but something that is overkill for what I do (animation and video editing). For me, $25,000 (or even $15,000) is too much to spend just to get a second copy of SE for HD editing.
    I could not agree with you more. That is why you can buy SpeedEDIT and a BlackMagic card ... which is a lot cheaper than the VT ever was.

Jim Capillo mentioned "exceptional value at exceptional prices" one of the strongest selling points in NewTek's arsenal that has attracted so many of us to NewTek in the first place and kept us here so long.
    I would argue that we still are absolutely true to that philosophy. Next time your are at NAB, look at the cost of systems that do even close to what ours do! Heck Virtual set systems typically run more than twice the cost of our system and have very limited number of channels (ours has 8) and requires external keyers (ours has one for every input.) Thats before you even start to think about everything else that we have.

But for months now, we've heard nothing from NewTek about the bug reports we've already filed or any new builds to test. It's as if NewTek is discontinuing that product as well.
    We have learned the hard way that although it is really tempting to tell everyone everything that we are working on that it ultimately works out worse for all involved. We prefer to stick to talking about products we are ready to talk about. I can think of quite a few cases where we mentioned particular "possible" features publicly before we had them ready and working and they ended up becoming FAR more work than we anticipated which delayed the product by 6+ months ... if we had known that up front we could have either made the product "6 months better" for 99% of users or shipped it 6 months sooner.

RIP VT. I got my start in visual effects with the VTNT. It's a little sad to see it go. But its was a fun ride.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123