Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA

Consultant
    Priceless!
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Quote Originally Posted by csandy View Post
    Also, I'd challenge Steve with the assertion that VT5 has only three real [I]inputs. (snip) ....Best to say three discreet video channels.
    Well, honestly I'd reverse that, and say it has 3 inputs and 'numerous' channels (one could make a case for 24) ... just as we say that TCXD850 has 8 inputs, but refer to it as a 22-channel switcher.

Word-play aside, though, I think the point stands. On TCXD50, I can directly monitor 8 live video sources (not including network sources). On VT, only 3 - whatever terminology you prefer.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Well, honestly I'd reverse that, and say it has 3 inputs and 'numerous' channels (one could make a case for 24) ... just as we say that TCXD850 has 8 inputs, but refer to it as a 22-channel switcher.
    I agree with that statement completely. That's why I said "discreet video channels" instead of just channels.

But if you take discreet and video away, I can't agree more.

My FiOS TV has a couple of thousand channels, but only one discreet video channel.

It's fiber of course, so the limitation is vendor imposed instead of by technology.

But there is certainly no argument that the TCXD 850 can show 8 camera input sources at the same time and the VTPro card based products can only show three.

For those thinking of upgrading, you should really let them know that it's not apples-for-apples though Steve. It's not like the 850 is only 3 times more capable in viewing ability - the quality of the virtual monitor is much better, isn't it?
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

It's not like the 850 is only 3 times more capable in viewing ability
    Sure, and I'm not trying to argue that TCXD850 trumps VT in every conceivable manner. In a considerable number though, it does tromp all over it, so it's not like the king was knocked off by a wimpy pretender.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Sure, and I'm not trying to argue that TCXD850 trumps VT in every conceivable manner. In a considerable number though, it does tromp all over it, so it's not like the king was knocked off by a wimpy pretender.
    Well said.

Funny though, I was trying to write an equation and it just happens to be the icon for some funny professor looking guy. I was trying to write "eight over three times" more capable. LOL. But you got the point.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

Well it's a very sad day it took me 3 years to put together my VT system at a cost I could afford bought the VT2 second hand then waited and waited until a SX-8 came along at the right price.

To everyone I rave on about the system not many have heard about in the UK while others were struggling with Prem Pro (edit render, edit some more render some more!) I was flying through files and on to the next job with it's real time editing speed.

As soon as I saw the Tricaster I knew the writing was on the wall for VT, VT had given us far too much for the money.Looking at the line up all I can see is the TriCaster™ TCXD300 come close to what I need but can I afford it not a chance.................

By stopping the upgrades to VT Newtek has now priced me out of the market, we were about to start marketing a new product to customers in 2011 but with the VT no longer being upgraded I think that service will no longer happen unless we can spring for a TriCaster™ TCXD300 which currently is a none starter

A very very sad day for us.
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

Also, for webcasting - the VT is simply amazing. While Flash doesn't work as you would expect, the work-around produces phenomenal results - better quality than you can get out of a TCSD because of host computer limitations.
    Could you please point me to an explanation of the work -around? I have not gotten started with webcasting so I didn't know there were issues with Flash. - Thank you

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by badllarma View Post
    ...By stopping the upgrades to VT Newtek has now priced me out of the market, we were about to start marketing a new product to customers in 2011 but with the VT no longer being upgraded I think that service will no longer happen unless we can spring for a TriCaster™ TCXD300 which currently is a non starter
    If your VT[5] does today what you need for 2011, then please remember that NewTek will continue to offer tech support on your system. This announcement in no way affects its existing functionality
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Quote Originally Posted by CSandy
    Also, I'd challenge Steve with the assertion that VT5 has only three real inputs. Really, we're talking about are three real discreet video channels. [truncated]
    Engaged in subliminal marketing for Discreet(tm), Mr. Sandy, sir?

If not, the spelling you were after is "discrete".

-FinalX

The end of the line for the VT is a sad but not unexpected announcement. The first Amiga Video Toaster I sold was serial #13 and I owned VT board #4 so I've been in this for a while.

The TCXD850 should carry the legacy of the VT into the future just fine.

The engineers, past and present, at NewTek should be proud that they created a product that lasted in the market place as long as it did (and continues even today as the guts of the SD TriCasters). 1999-2010 is quite a run.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4k.

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalCutToast! View Post
    Engaged in subliminal marketing for Discreet(tm), Mr. Sandy, sir?

If not, the spelling you were after is "discrete".

-FinalX
    Ha! Freudian slip. Does Discreet still exist? Maybe time for this disclaimer again: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpos...13&postcount=8
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    Could you please point me to an explanation of the work -around? I have not gotten started with webcasting so I didn't know there were issues with Flash. - Thank you
    Someone from NewTek explains how to make Flash work in VT5 in response to my questions about getting it to work as the internal presets imply. I can't seem to find the thread.

But in a nutshell, you need to launch FMLE and select the VT card as the source. The VT driver needs to be launched as well. I believe you can have VT5 and FMLE up and running at the same time.

Hopefully someone with a better memory or research skills will post something more helpful, but you'll get it if you poke around a bit with the settings.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    1999-2010 is quite a run.
    That is just mind-blowing. Can anyone name any other computer hardware that has remained essentially unchanged, yet still a viable product for a decade?

I can't.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lara View Post
    I can't.
    "Amiga Video Toaster". I win.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast