Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VUE 9 Sidegrade

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    So am I right in thinking that I can sidegrade from 6 Xtreme to 9 Complete, and I'll lose the option to call up Vue from within LW (I never used that in the end as it rendered so slow!), and I can't animate above a crazy large resolution?

Dunk
    Yes. xStream is the only version that has this capability. We use it at work, and after version 8.0 it's actually been quite fast. But you're right; prior to 8.0 it was unusably slow.

Infinite is the so-called 'standalone' version (which I have,) and it doesn't have the convenient 'renders within LW' feature, but you can still bring LW camera data and objects into Vue and you can export a LW scene out of it. Not exactly the same thing but if you know how to composite, it's workable. Version 8.0 finally allowed you to import Lightwave objects with UVs; previous versions only read the very old, pre-UV maps .lwo format, making it less useful.

Complete is apparently the version just below Infinite, and it seems lacks much of the LW data exchange capability. Although, from the product features description it sounds like you might still be able to import camera motion data. At least, that's how I understood what it says on the comparison page. Maybe somebody who has Complete can clarify this point.

Oh, one other important feature missing from Complete: the ability to render clouds with alpha channels. This too was introduced in Infinite and xStream 8.0, and it finally made rendering separate Vue cloud-only passes possible for us.

G.

Thanks for that reply G, much appreciated

I have to admit that xStream's slow rendering coupled with buying HDInstance and already owning quite a few XFrog tree libraries means I've ended up using Vue only for sky generation - an expensive plugin for skies! My workflow is happy enough this way, so if I can get a cheap upgrade to Complete then at least I get some decent sky goodness, and can also, I assume, import 3D geometry fine from LW Modeler for still shots. After my 6-6 experience I'm loath to spend too much on Eon's software.

Dunk
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    After my 6-6 experience I'm loath to spend too much on Eon's software.
    I know what you mean. After I bought into Infinite, I was unpleasantly surprised at the cost to maintain the program. Upgrading from 7 to 8 was okay, but to get the 8.5 update, I was required to buy a 1-year service subscription. No problem, I thought, but then it turned out that their 1-year subscription starts from when you originally bought the upgrade, not when you buy the subscription. As a result, I only got three months of my 1-year before it expired.

At least they did give me a 'free' upgrade to 9. (And I wound up renewing my sub after that anyway. Sigh!)

Anyway, just for the improvements in render speed and AA quality alone, the upgrade to 9 is probably worth it no matter which previous version of Vue you're using.

G.

Blog Entries
    yeah i really don't want to give EON my money anymore. If anything ill just Terragen next. Hopefully by that time woody3d has some kind of integrations into other apps.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products...209%20Complete
    Last edited by calilifestyle; 12-01-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add link
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Naw - I think I'm going to go for 9 Complete and suffer the lack of LW integration. For $99 it'll be worth it just for quicker backdrops - a large cloud hemisphere can take an age in 6 for print rez use :P
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Still at Vue 5 Infinite because e-on has never provided an easy upgrade path to the current release over the last few years, at least that I've seen. Shame on them because they probably would have had my money for the interim upgrades.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Basically Yes

That was the main difference I noted. Like you I found LW/Vue integration clunky and blew that off, except skies.

I'm getting done what I need and a happy camper.

Kevin L
    There is something far greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Liber777 View Post
    Still at Vue 5 Infinite because e-on has never provided an easy upgrade path to the current release over the last few years, at least that I've seen. Shame on them because they probably would have had my money for the interim upgrades.
    They did give a last chance upgrade from vue 5 for 399US a few months back. But since I don't really use vue too much I never upgraded. Vue 5 provided me with skies that's about it.
    Wonder would it be possible to get a vue 6 license used and upgrade that.

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    At least they did give me a 'free' upgrade to 9. (And I wound up renewing my sub after that anyway. Sigh!)

Anyway, just for the improvements in render speed and AA quality alone, the upgrade to 9 is probably worth it no matter which previous version of Vue you're using.

G.
    The thing that caught me out was rendernodes for Vue xS. I hadn't realised that, unlike Ozone, they are not sold as node-locked and so the *cough* customer *cough* is forced to buy a license server. Sadly, that's not trivial - it's $500. That's a flat fee, so ILM wouldn't see that expense as significant, but if you only want to add one or two nodes that's just more than doubled what you planned to pay.

Frankly, it's a braindead decision. It's only a license server - it doesn't do anything for your render times. It puts a huge barrier in front of people wanting to carry out distributed rendering with Vue xS on a hobby/small studio basis.

I'd bought the render node licenses without having a license server - the shop doesn't detect that you don't have a license server purchase on file. It's perfectly possibly to purchase render nodes for xS in complete ignorance of the licensing policy. I had quite a shock and beat them down to a more reasonable price for the license server (although still significantly higher than I would like).

The only upside is that a single maintenance fee covers all rendernodes and the license server. That's taken some of the edge off, but I'm sore.
    Inactive.

Yes, years ago we (the Box at R+H) felt we got a little burned by xS and its render nodes scheme. It was expensive and the 'in Lightwave' render times where painfully slow compared to simply rendering the scenes within Vue. For a long time, we didn't bother with xS, and just used the program in standalone mode for creating matte paintings and exported environments for Lightwave-only renders, or we used it for very short Vue-only renders.

With Vue xS version 8, that all changed though. There are still some weird, undocumented caveats to watch out for, but overall we've seen excellent render times and quality using xS and Lightwave for our most recent projects.

At Little Green Dog, my wife and I are using Vue 9 Infinite for our Brudders short film, although we're still evaluating to what degree. It will probably not be used much on this project because the film has already become way more complicated than what we originally intended, but maybe the next one will make better use of it.

G.

I'm definitely going to look into this. The main thing I've been using Vue6Infinite for lately is cloud fly through and if Vue9 Complete can use more than one CPU at a time to render clouds, I'm in.

Although "RenderCows can be configured to use any number of cores" is a no for complete. I may need to d/l the trial.

Comparing 9 Complete and 9 Infinite gives you a good look at the differences.
    Last edited by dwburman; 12-02-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

I haven't used it a lot, but Vue9 Complete shows 8 cpu (i7) and it definitely renders much faster than Vue8 on a simple file.

yeah would be nice to have a comparison between Vue6Infinite and Vue9Infinite then. I hardly use the program and $99 expense is probably too much specially since I don't have it - but on the other hand I don't want to fall too far behind.

I just got an email from e-on letting me know that they released a PLE version of Vue 9 Infinite/xStream, so here's a chance to try it out for free.

G.

Does 9 render spectral clouds (particularly when you're flying through them) faster than Vue 6?
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast