Thread: New user with a TriCaster

New user with a TriCaster

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new using a TriCaster with a local community college. I am just learning the software using a TriCaster to make videos for emergency medical system training. I would like to be able to incorporate pdf file with video. Any suggestions on software to use to make this happen.

Thanks In Advance,

James A. Morris

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    You need to convert it to a rasterizer image format. I think Acrobat Pro has the ability but if not, Photoshop should.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I'm not really certain from your post whether you want to include video from your TriCaster in a pdf file, or want to display content from a pdf file through your TriCaster to video?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I want to be able to add in pdf file - 1 page into a presentation. Also, I know their is an update to ver 2.5 for the tricaster. Where can I find the version info in the software?

James

The simplest way to check for updates is just to use the Check for Updates link on the Admin screen.

As far as including a PDF page in a presentation, there are a couple of approaches. First, do you want a) to show the pdf through the Switcher to a video or live streaming output during a presentation, or perhaps b) to show the pdf on a larger IMAG screen (as by a projector) for a local audience in an auditorium?

a) Running the pdf through the Switcher forces you to reduce it to video resolution - 720x480, for SD NTSC (I'm assuming you don't have a TCXD model). You should bear in mind that this scaling will not display small text or detail particularly clearly on output. If video (or worse, Internet stream) is your target output medium, and the PDF has small text, you may want to consider converting the page to some more suitable format, or blowing it up and showing just part of it at a time.

b) On the other hand, if it's for local IMAG use, you'll likely want to use TriCaster's VGA Overlay feature, which can retain high resolution from an iVGA source (such as a PDF shown on another computer's display) while overlaying it on the projector output - separate from the Program output. This approach offers much greater legibility, if only on the projector overlay.

Again, if you do need to run the pdf display through the switcher (option a, above), you can either 1) bring the pdf display in live, probably using iVGA, but alternatively a scan converter, or 2) convert the pdf content to a more suitable file format for local use in one of TriCaster's DDRs. You could convert the pdf to a still image file, or - another interesting choice - replicate its content as an animated text scroll.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")