Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Project

Newbie Member

Sci-Fi Project

I am creating a medium sized sci-fi carrier for a project and here is an image of the model (no textures yet) and am wondering if I'm going overboard on the panels maybe? I am using the stencil tool and multi-shifting the bevels out...any suggestions/crits on that or anything else is much appreciated.

This is the front section of the docking bay and I will be texturing this section next and then hopefully finish the rest of the model, but this is my starting point.

Thanks for any input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MidwayA4.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	944.8 KB 
ID:	89985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wireframe.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	89986  
    Last edited by Aquarian; 11-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Nurniewise it's cool, but maybe between the small details and the big ones you could add some medium size elements to break some place the monotony. Otherwise it looks promising.
    Cheers

Some nice nurny work going on there.
    i7 920 2.8Ghz, 12GB OCZ Gold, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Nvidia 250 GTS, Cheiftec A-135 750W, Zalman Z7
    Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz, 8GB Corsair Dominator, Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6, CiT PSU, Quadro FX4500

Wow that looks realy good did you put all the cracks in it youself?
    and im not saying its badd but somethings seems off with the door thing in the front.

Blog Entries
    more nurnies....
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more nurnies!!"

Name:	MoreCowbell.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	90063  
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

Newbie Member
    More nurnies it is! I added a little more structure but am hoping to add a lot more detail this weekend...hopefully this section will set the stage for the rest of the model. I appreciate the suggestions!

Name:	MidwayA5a.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	999.6 KB 
ID:	90070  

That's funny - it actually looks like you kit-bashed the spine of a Space: 1999 Eagle in the sides of the front bay!! Very nice...

It sure looks pretty cool and I do hope you'll get to texturing it some day. I'm wondering, in the second screenshot it looks like you're using n-gons, is that right?

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnusFast View Post
    That's funny - it actually looks like you kit-bashed the spine of a Space: 1999 Eagle in the sides of the front bay!! Very nice...
    You can see a few of meshweaver's nurnies mixed in there, and that's one of them I was actually thinking the front bay was looking a bit like the front bucket of a backhoe lol, looks alight I guess...I was planning on putting some sort of landing lights on those protrusions in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    It sure looks pretty cool and I do hope you'll get to texturing it some day. I'm wondering, in the second screenshot it looks like you're using n-gons, is that right?
    Thanks for the compliment Traveler, I hope I get to texturing it someday too! Pretty much everything is quads and n-gons and this has actually caused a few issues with rendering I've had to work out because the stenciled poly can end up pretty non-planar a lot of the time and render with ugly lines slicing through the sides and even sometimes it looks like the poly is floating above the model when it's rendered...very weird.

For this I can either triple them (which I hate to do because it gets messy fast) or the other option which is much better IMHO, and that's stenciling, doing the multishifts to get the panels, then deleting the stenciled poly and replacing it with a quad again. This method is actually pretty quick and has worked great so far, I just have to avoid getting crazy with the number of sides on my stencils. Hopefully I'll have some substantial progress made this week since I was too busy watching season 4 of BSG this weekend

Newbie Member
    Just wanted to update this thread. I have built most of the front half but my system can't really handle anymore (almost 9 million polys) so I'll have to put this on hold and build some smaller ships.

I posted some large images here: http://aquariandesign.com/midway/

I attached a ortho side view and the texturing test I was doing...was hoping to finish it but it's just not workable all put together. I could probably finish the modeling as separate files but I'd never be able to render all the pieces together, so I guess I'll give myself an A for effort hehe.

Thanks!

Name:	Mirrored_Side.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	91919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TextureTestA1b.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	91920  

Just my IMHO here:
    Overall the model looks cool, but I actually think that you should completely re-make the bay door. All this technical noise just doesn't fit there. It's a damn door, there are no high-tech stuff within, so there shouldn't really be any complex lids etc on the surface. Right now it gives me an impression that it's a temporary patch, as if the real door got blown out and starship crew made a replacement out of some piece of hull.

Also, you should probably add more navigation/docking stuff around. And, if it is a military vessel, some short range defensive turrets around, perhaps? Like, to keep enemy boarding parties away and shoot down incoming missiles.
    Last edited by Kora; 01-17-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Newbie Member
    Thanks Kora, this is my first spaceship model in about 10 years so I'm trying to get back into it. I'll probably have to rebuild the model from scratch because the polygon count is way to high to be practical. This was more or less an experiment on how detailed I should model and although I'd like to do the rest of the ship with the same amount of detail my system just can't handle it, even if it was the only model in the scene.

The gun turrets and armaments were actually on the top and bottom sides that would open up when enemies approach etc. The idea behind the whole ship is that it is armored like a tank with everything sensitive covered in armor, even windows closing down to transverse harsh nebulae, etc. I have a fairly decent nurnie collection from this model so rebuilding it shouldn't take too long, I'll just have to keep an eye on polygon count. Thanks for the input!

Looks awsome!! How did you texture the ship in your last image?

Newbie Member
    Glad you like it! For the texturing I primarily used the ee_grit node (http://katastro.fi/~eetu/gritnode/) plugged into the diffuse channel and some turbulence in the spec and color channel. I plugged turbulence into the falloff of the grit node to break it up. There is also some IFW panels procedural mixed in. I'm pretty lousy when it comes to using image maps for texturing so I try to do everything procedurally, but I'm slowing coming around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast