Thread: Animating a pipe...

Animating a pipe...

I've searched the forum and have found tutorials/info on making things flow through a predefined "pipe" object, but what I am trying to animate is something like a long pipe being "drawn" on a path. I watched the tut on LW's homepage on serpent- and that's kind of the idea, but I need the tail of the serpent to remain fixed, but as the front should move along the path and appear to grow.
    I hope I am describing this well-- remember the old windows screensaver where it looked like pipes were being drawn in 3D and it just extended... like that only more smooth/organic and with curves.

Any help would be much appreciated-
    Thanks!

Have a try with fertilizer ?

Sounds like the morph down a bone trick or Shift Spline Transform to the rescue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aozfc57R4WA
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    you need the fertilizer plugin available here: http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/...ch/Fertilizer/

If you need the 64bit plugin and it's not included in the download I can dig it out for you. I haven't used it for a while but I have used it for growing veins and branches...unfortunately the developer hasn't kept the website updated so it might not be the latest build...but I can dig it out if it's not

Thanks for the quick responses- does anyone have experience using fertilizer plugin on LW 9.6.1 on a mac? Plugin fails to load...
    Perhaps I do need the 64 bit version, biliousfrog - as long as it runs on mac.

Thanks so much

now that it appears around here...anyone knows if thereīs a 64-bit version of Shift Spline Transform? I havenīt found anything that can substitute it, but I only install 64-bit versions now in my system.
    Do I really have to install a 32-bit version just for using shift spline transform?
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?thereīs plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

you could use DP's shifter node.
    here's a tutorial even.
    http://soldierwithin.home.comcast.ne...in/shifter.mov

as for the head of the pipe, you'd probably need to animate that as a separate layer at the front of the growth curve.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmiller1 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses- does anyone have experience using fertilizer plugin on LW 9.6.1 on a mac? Plugin fails to load...
    Perhaps I do need the 64 bit version, biliousfrog - as long as it runs on mac.

Thanks so much
    I only have the PC versions I'm afraid. You could contact the developers and see whether it was updated.

i need fertilizer for mac 9.6, any help?

Fertilizer

Quote Originally Posted by biliousfrog View Post
    I only have the PC versions I'm afraid. You could contact the developers and see whether it was updated.
    Hi mate didnt know there was a 64 bit version, i would love to get hold of it if possible
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Hi mate didnt know there was a 64 bit version, i would love to get hold of it if possible
    :agree:

Quote Originally Posted by Astralworkz View Post
    :agree:
    Me too!!