Thread: The 850 is Simply Amazing!!!

The 850 is Simply Amazing!!!

I have been in front of the 850 now for about 2 hours.. All I can say is that this thing is simply SMOKING!

I'm seriously just jumping out of my skin!

So far here is what I have noticed that has really made my day.

The SpeedEdit encode to .mp4 format is very good about a 500% improvement over the encode that the Tricaster Studio produces. This improvement alone is going to save me at least 2 hours a week. Time is money and let me tell you I could not be happier.

I was not sure how happy I was going to be about the new menu system but so far I see the mindset behind it, and am sure it will grow on me from a usability standpoint.

As expected the onboard audio amps are ok, I will definitively continue to feed the box with an external mixer. One thing is evident though is really need to watch the levels coming in pretty easy to overdrive it.

Wish! I wish there has a Headphone jack on the front of the box.

Preference. Feel that I will run the system the majority of the time with a single monitor. The second monitor is ok but in my personal opinion, I did not spend very much time looking at the second monitor.

Weakeness. The streaming setup area is not real clear when it comes to using services like ustream. Will need to decipher what you want in the fields in the configuration.

Engineering concern. On the hard drive mount areas the fans for that enclosure should be pulling air from the front to the back. As it is now the hard drive enclosure is blowing air which does not make any sense. You should be pulling cool air from the front and pushing it to the back.

No heat monitor, would be nice to have had a heat readout on the front of the box to keep track of how hot the inside of the box is getting.

Now all we need is the new switcher... Have credit card at the ready when can I advance order that?

Todd...

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    soooooooooooo........ The million dollar question.....

Noise(y)?

I would not want to be stuck in the same room with it running for long. I am going to have to buy a sound isolation box for it. Its about the same volume as a wall A/C unit.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekNews View Post
    Its about the same volume as a wall A/C unit.
    wow

Geek, You are sooooo right. I had the same feeling when we got ours. It's a HUGE step above the prior TriCasters and I thought those were great pieces of technology.
    The 850 makes me smile every time I use it.
    We still use an external Macki as well. And digital audio is digital audio. You have to be more careful.
    As for the noise, yup, it has some powerful fans. But we have our 850 in the studio with the talent and we've had no problems with sound. I'd have it at least 20' from the talent and ideally a simple drape between the unit and talent would be enough to neutralize it.
    Gotta go, but I'll be back soon with 850 feedback since I'm back in town more now.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Consultant
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Todd,
    Have you tested the Frame Buffer feature yet? not just making a still as a frame buffer but viewing and editing it on another computer? It is sweet
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster