Thread: Tricaster Pro and Skype

Tricaster Pro and Skype

We have a studio set up with a 3-camera set up with all cameras and mics lined into our Tricaster Pro. We are wanting to experiment with filming our host on set, but having a guest hooked up via Skype, and capturing Skype video with Callrecorder software for MAC.

The issue we are running into is we want to use Skype to capture video of the offsite person. But, we do not want to use that audio. We need the person on set to be able to hear the person on Skype however without any audio interference from the computer.

Should we have the offsite person call-in and pipe that into headset for the host? We don't want to hear our host on the offsite persons phone either, so I'm guessing they would need a headset. Suggestions from anyone who has experimented with Skype and Tricasters?

What I do is feed the tricaster SD Video from a seperate computer into one of my channels

Second I take the audio out of the computer run it through a line balancer and then input that into a line in on my mixer. I use a Aux send to send the audio back to the skype computer. I come out of the aux send, go through a line balancer and into the mic in on the skype computer.

I then take a video out of the tricaster and feed that to a A/D converter and send the digital video to a firewire connection on the skype computer, this way the host can see and hear audio and gets video feedback

This way the guest video is patched directly into the tricaster, and it is a fully interactive experience. You can do this with a cheap windows machine.

This is the only truly effective way to bring in a skype video call. You can do a search on the internet for skypeasaurus I copied my design of my two channel skype system directly from those specs.. Total cost to do 2 channel skype system was about $1000.00 the most expensive thing was profesional A/d converters.

Todd..

Quote Originally Posted by kesmar View Post
    We have a studio set up with a 3-camera set up with all cameras and mics lined into our Tricaster Pro. We are wanting to experiment with filming our host on set, but having a guest hooked up via Skype, and capturing Skype video with Callrecorder software for MAC.

The issue we are running into is we want to use Skype to capture video of the offsite person. But, we do not want to use that audio. We need the person on set to be able to hear the person on Skype however without any audio interference from the computer.

Should we have the offsite person call-in and pipe that into headset for the host? We don't want to hear our host on the offsite persons phone either, so I'm guessing they would need a headset. Suggestions from anyone who has experimented with Skype and Tricasters?