Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange Juice

Orange Juice

First, allow me to say how deeply impressed I am by the majority of users in this forum. Your skill and creativity keeps inspiring me to try and become better within the 3d medium.

Been working recently to bring my amateurish skills up to something I can be a bit happier with. I decided to play around with some liquid and glass today.

Any comments/criticisms are most welcome.

Nice work so far. Now see if you can put some reflections on the glass. Maybe 1 or 2 luminous poly's, or read up on implementing an HDRI for your reflection map.

Cheers. Keep at it.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    Or read up on implementing an HDRI for your reflection map.

Thanks for the feedback and are there any good locations for learning about use of an HDRI in lightwave?

Craptose Intolerant UltraViolet's Avatar
    Nice JonBee ... Yep, reflections are missing and glass is bit too thick and too narrow on the botom for my taste

BTW, how did you embed letters into the glass ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    Maybe 1 or 2 luminous poly's ...
    Hopper, I keep hearing about this luminous poly crap all over the forum (and I used forum search and could not find anything about it in layman terms), only thing I got about it is that is suppose to help with caustics ...

I have no idea how to create these lil' buggers, is it in the modeler ?

Please give us noobs some tips, thanks
    These moments, as beautiful as they are, are evil when they're gone...

Quote Originally Posted by UltraViolet View Post
    BTW, how did you embed letters into the glass ?
    For the purpose of this render, it's a bump map. I could switch to displacement mapping if I needed a view from the side.

Good start, now get a glass of orange juice and look at it... Your orange juice is too "plasticky" and needs to have some translucency and light transmission, just my opinion... carry on.
    Paul
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Quote Originally Posted by jonbee View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and are there any good locations for learning about use of an HDRI in lightwave?
    You could try hdrlabs.com. Check out the Smart IBL plug-in.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Okay, added HDR and modified the orange juice to have some sub-surface scattering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hdrjuice1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	88907  

Okay, added HDR and modified the orange juice to have some sub-surface scattering.
    The SSS on the juice made a huge difference.. it looks like very thick/pulpy juice now..
    The glass still needs to be showing more reflections - at the moment it doesnt seem to be reflecting anything. Take a look at a glass in your kitchen, everything reflects off it. Maybe you need an HDR image that reflects more detail?

Alrighty, figured out why my reflections were not showing up too well:

Name:	juice_rc1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	88917  

Quote Originally Posted by UltraViolet View Post
    Hopper, I keep hearing about this luminous poly crap all over the forum (and I used forum search and could not find anything about it in layman terms), only thing I got about it is that is suppose to help with caustics ...

Please give us noobs some tips, thanks
    Sure, no problem.

As an example...
    1. Create a standard single plane 4 point poly (i.e. a rectangle).
    2. Give it a color (preferably a bright tonal color)
    3. Place that "panel" in your scene as a light source (keep in mind that it will be seen in reflections by default).
    4. Modify the surface properties of the panel and turn up the Luminosity channel.
    5. Test render and adjust colors and luminosity to taste.

In image 1, you can see I've placed two offset polys in front of the subject (marked in red). I added a black border because I wanted the border to show in the reflection (looking at the reference pic, you'll understand why). I also created an entire room so that I could get nice even radiosity bounces to create a more naturally lit scene as if it were a product shot type of setup. It's not totally necessary, but it made it easier to adjust the lighting intensity without using the ambient light (which can wash out some textures if not used sparingly).

I added luminosity to the far "back wall" poly and the "ceiling" poly directly above the subject (also marked in red). I also gave the ceiling poly a warmer tone (more red). I did this so that I could adjust the overall tonality without having to constantly tweak the surface attributes of the subject.

In image 2 you can see the very basic surface setting for the left luminous poly (the right is identical).

You can see the final result in image 3. Notice you can see the luminous polys in the reflection as desired.

Image 4 was the original photograph that served as my reference.

I could have easily produced the same end result by using standard lights, but the poly setup was easy, I already had the scene from an older project, and it makes for a much faster render than other lights. With the way I have it set up it's a bit odd in Layout, but then again... it worked and texturing/lighting is not something I'm particularly good at.

There were only two area lights used in this scene and the render time was less than 1.5 minutes (on a 4.1GHz OC'd Q6600). I could have cranked some of the basic render settings to eliminate some of the aliasing artifacts and overall quality, but it was for the speed modeling challenge and final output wasn't too terribly important.

Hope this clarifies the mystery for you. I've been there. (still there most of the time).

EDIT: I have included the robot object (broken up into layers for study) and the entire scene for you to play with.
    Just mess around with the settings and see what you can come up with. Keep in mind that the render settings are low... i.e. RPE, bounces, AS, etc... If you crank them up, the lights will blow out the scene. You'll have to tone down the luminosity, and light intensities.

Name:	lighting_setup_001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	88967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighting_setup_002.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	88968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robot_balance_003.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	407.1 KB 
ID:	88969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	robot_balancing.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	88970  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hopper; 10-14-2010 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks very much for the lesson Hopper
    Imma look into testing this out.

Thanks very much for the lesson Hopper
    Imma look into testing this out.
    You're welcome. But don't read too much into the Layout setup. It was poorly assembled and you would never use these lighting (intensity) and render settings normally. You can get the same results by adjusting the render settings and bringing all the lights down significantly.

This would be a better lesson in how to NOT setup a scene. Set all the lights and luminosity back down to 0, adjust the render settings to a higher quality first (i.e. bounces, quality, etc.), then bring the luminosity and light intensity up slowly.

I had quickly blown all the lights out because of the poor render settings, which makes the scene hard to work with inside Layout.

You'll see what I mean when you open it up.

Craptose Intolerant UltraViolet's Avatar
    Thanks Hopper, I really appreciate this
    These moments, as beautiful as they are, are evil when they're gone...

thats very real looking to me.
    I want a glass of orange juice now.
    brb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast