Thread: off topic: new kindle

off topic: new kindle

hi guys just got the new kindle today in the post!

first thought after using it for 2 hours or so
    screen clarity: amazingly crisp
    kindle books: work just fine

text to speech: good, clear voices a bit robotic but okay..seem to be the same voices from xtranormal cast!

general getting around:simple to pick it up...no real head scratching needed so far.

PDF's: you can view pdf's on the kindle but you have to be aware it has a small screen so usually you'll need to zoom in to make pdf based books/manual large enough on screen to read..which means constant slow scrolling from left to right on most books...even when you make the screen landscape.
    so looking up reference stuff will be okay but general reading on pdf's will be annoying.

if you get a kindle i'd point you to mobipocket creator to so you can convert pdf's word files etc to kindle format which make books/manuals a pleasure to read or listen to.

experimental features:
    browser:

pretty good, remember it's using a phone connection not broadband/wifi so it's slow but FREE!
    obviously no Youtube or flash support [epaper remember not a lcd screen!]
    works okay on most sites like bbc,

getting around the screen is a little fiddly...no mouse but you have a 5way cursor and the back forward page turns take you up down the webpage

facebook
    is abit slow and sometimes boots you back out to the login screen but you can get in eventually...by the way had to jump thru some hoops as it sees the kindle as a new location so had the verify myself.

yahoo email
    again abit slow to load the page
    also on my test email it would only give me 2 lines to 'see' on the email i was typing, makes wrinting a long email abit annoying...but again yo have to remember this is an experimental feature.
    update: switching from plain text to rich text gives you plenty of space to see your message text being written

general web surfing
    is okay...you can zoom in on the pages, most link/buttons work, only came across the remember password link box not being selectable in facebook login screen so far.

remember it's an ebook not an iPad killer!

as an ebook it's great...the other stuff it does is a nice add on

i'm hoping to get some kindle books written/illustrated and published mainly children's books and sci-fi books...images will of course be rendered or using some 3d scenes to make em!

more later!
    Last edited by cresshead; 10-02-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Hi Cress..

In your vid I noticed when you change pages there is a type of negative looking flash to the page. Is that actually happening or just a weird byproduct of camera/youtube and if it is happening does it bother you or is it noticeable after reading with it for a while?

thanks
    Jim

Purveyor of Free Models R.Feeney's Avatar
    Thats the way that all E-ink devices work, it doesn't take long to get used to it. A day or two was all it took for me.

I have been using a sony ebook reader for 3 years now and I rarely notice the page change at all.
    Personally I prefer the readers without wifi or 3g, I just dont want any distractions when I`m reading a book.

I have a Sony ebook reader, and I came --->||<---- this close to buying a Kindle from the USA .. I didnt because the shipping cost was prohibitive. I would have liked to get one, but here in Australia we're a bit behind. I think we only just started stocking the original Kindle.

I don't think it matters which reader you get - they are a great item to have. I don't believe I shall ever buy another physical book again. I'm not sure about all the extras the kindle or other readers come with (webpage browsing or whatever), I just want it to read books. The page switching can be odd to begin with, but you get so used to it. There's been times when I'm reading a book on the reader and I go to reach for a bookmark because it feels like I'm reading a real book.

Thanks for the review vid. Nice points you brought up. I'm still waiting for a version that supports non Latin characters.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Feeney View Post
    Thats the way that all E-ink devices work, it doesn't take long to get used to it. A day or two was all it took for me.

I have been using a sony ebook reader for 3 years now and I rarely notice the page change at all.
    Personally I prefer the readers without wifi or 3g, I just dont want any distractions when I`m reading a book.
    ty

I bought a Kindle last week and i'm finding it really good. I've played with the browser on it, it was ok but not great. As i am only using it to read books, and the only reason i bought it, the extras on it are not really that much of an interest to me.

As as book reader i do have to say it's fantastic. The changes of the pages really are not an issue even after a short while using it. The fact it is lightweight and very easy to read the screen is good to me. Not had it long enough to test the month long battery life claim (yet).

took the kindle to work today...reading a sci fi novel on the bus journey to/from work is excellent way to spend the time rather than looking out of the window...i was transported to a distant world where THROG's had destroyed our camp..

> Visions of distant shores by Andre Norton
    currently reading book 1 : storm over warlock
    Last edited by cresshead; 10-05-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by voriax View Post
    I have a Sony ebook reader, and I came --->||<---- this close to buying a Kindle from the USA .. I didnt because the shipping cost was prohibitive.
    Total cost for the new kindle (wifi version) couriered to the door was $180 AU - $30 USD shipping. And the $AU has gone up since then. Maybe it's more expensive in Perth.... It's one of the only things from Amazon that isn't overpriced for the shipping!

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    I have a Sony-Prs505 myself, with a 2GB card in, hold all my tech reference stuff - it's great. Page turn is a bit slow and PDF's can look oddly formatted when zoomed into a bigger font, (my eyes are crap), but wouldn't be without it now
    Too old to die young.

just ordered the amazon leather cover for it! [apple green]
    i'm thinking that i'll be taking this thing everywhere so want to look after it!
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!