Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Primary Workstation iMac

New Primary Workstation iMac

I have thought of getting iMac a new primary workstation. I'm currently using previous (2009 March) generation Quad Core Mac Pro. This machine would serve as a rendering machine which I could send render jobs while modeling / animating with the primary machine. In some situations, I would like to put both machines rendering, so I think this machine should have some power.

Which iMac would you recommend? I think I will go with 27 inch model because of the display.

I think my budget would maybe allow 27inch 3.2GHz machine, but it's only Core i3.

Hi,
    when you want the iMac as rendering machine too, surely the i7 would be the way to go.
    With a more limited budget, it's probably better to go with the 21,5"/3,6/i5 iMac instead of the 27"/3,2/i3.
    Have a look at those barefeats-results: #1; #2; #3

Quote Originally Posted by rsfd View Post
    Hi,
    when you want the iMac as rendering machine too, surely the i7 would be the way to go.
    With a more limited budget, it's probably better to go with the 21,5"/3,6/i5 iMac instead of the 27"/3,2/i3.
    Have a look at those barefeats-results: #1; #2; #3
    I've got the i7 with 8 Gb, and it's definitely worth it.
    Hyperthreading works great with Lightwave.

That's great.
    I think Core i5 might be the right one for me. In this economical "weather" I think I would probably choose to go with the 21inch model. I also have so limited space.

I was thinking that it might make sense to hook my current Mitsubishi (25,5") display to the iMac instead of keeping it with the Mac Pro. Although I had some issues before when I tried to use dual displays with Mac Pro, I got this kind of stuttering, in 2 second intervals, everything in the screen just froze for a fraction of second. After I unplugged the second display, everything went back to normal. It might be that single video card isn't enough.

In my setup, the mac pro wouldn't even need a display but I could use it via Screen Sharing for rendering purposes.

But before it I think I need to get new laptop because I just donated my MBP to my wife. I just couldn't stand watching her suffering with her problematic VAIO and constant problems with XP, you know how it is, plus there was constantly some viruses despite running antivirus..

In any case, I will keep look iMac line with interest, who knows, if my animations will sell, I might be able to afford 27inch..

Haven't you a refurb store where you could get the i7 ? I did get via the French Apple refurb store my iMac with 2 TB HD, for 1600 euros instead of 2200. A real bargain !

I wonder if such refurb stores exist here in Japan. I've never heard of them.

one massive advantage of the 27" model is the ability to use the screen with another source (for example your current mac pro)

just thought I'd throw that one in there.

I wonder if such refurb stores exist here in Japan. I've never heard of them.
    when I compare with the German store, it should be at the low left corner at Apple Store jp.
    But, hey, that's only guessing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	refurb_store_jp.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	88408  

I've started to use refurb store long ago for my first G5-bipro. Used it for every new mac since then, and I've never been disappointed.

That is correct. That indeed is refurb store here in Japan!
    But I'm not seeing any amazing deals there, although some of the laptop configurations are interesting, include SSD, etc.

I think I might just wait patiently until I can afford the Core i7 option of the 27inch iMac.

I noticed the whopping screen resolution of 27" iMac (2560 by 1440 pixels!)
    Does it make sense to have this big resolution for Modeler & Layout work? Can this big resolution cause slowdown/problems in LW workflow?

You wouldn't imagine the ease it provides for the eyes. I switched from20" 2,4 iMac to 27" i7, and it's been a real pleasure. You get accustomed, if not addicted, very quick to the screen resolution.

That's fantastic! I am currently using only the 1920x1200 Mitsubishi IPS display.
    I think I will certainly go with the 27"!

Do you ever get headache when looking that, rather brightly lit 27" inch display?
    I'm occasionally getting headaches with Mitsubishi

Nope, it only tires my eyes on early mornings when I don't light correctly my living room to avoid waking up my elder daughter (who sleeps with her door open) before going to work.
    Otherwise, comfort is great with this screen, provided, of course, you don't stay behind it 12 hours a day without taking a break.
    Neons at the office give my real headaches for sure, but not my iMac at home.

I downloaded a little app called "brightness control" for my imac and I wouldn't be without it.

in daylight hours on a sunny day I don't really need it but late at night it comes in very handy.

No idea why apple never issued a firmware update so that their internal brightness control could go down all the way rather than just from "way too bright" down to "still too bright"

I'm on a four year old imac 24 here though so maybe the more recent ones can be dimmed a little more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast