Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Motherboard for Vt5

Custom builders HELP!!! LOL

Asus? Gigabyte? 6GB? 12GB? What is the de-facto standard? What are the most stable i7 boards?

One issue with older vt2 cards is that you need to use a PCI v5 slot, apparently most newer motherboards only have PCI v3.3 slots - no clue about AMD, I have only used Intel (Xeon boards) for my personal computers.

Quote Originally Posted by csandy View Post
    With VT[5], you can build a 64-bit system on the very stable Windows 7 and have a large cushion of RAM and employ the latest I/O technologies.
    Is this verified? I sold my T2 Card, SX8 and VT5 software. The buyer wanted to know if it will all run under Windows 7 64 bit.

Also, can anyone verify that it requires a PCI 66 mhz v5 slot?

Consultant
    If you use a Gigabyte board, you won't have any problems. At least one of the PCI slots will work for either your older VT[2] card or newer VTpro card.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Thanks. How about 64 bit Windows 7? Will it work?

Consultant
    Yes.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

cuts issue motherboard

[QUOTE=sarahstaar;1061536]i will try the Gigabyte motherboard
    Hey

I had the same issue..... what they told me was it's a timing issue....
    if you preview it first, it buffers itself , then it cuts clean...
    if you are cutting on the main bus it will sometimes go clean depending on where the timing lands....works better if you sync everything together....

on my VT 4 I am using a SUPERO X5DA8 motherboard with only 1 gig of ram... need to upgrade that... but i do have good luck with everything...
    i get the odd crash....
    wondering if they vt5 upgrade will work?

We don't use VT5 But Gigabyte make pretty decent mobos
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/main.aspx?s=42

Have fun!
    Last edited by Roadwarrior; 11-24-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    Creative 3D Films
    3D Animation & Motion Graphic Resources
    www.creative3dfilms.com

Have Your Say!
    http://www.creative3dfilms.com/Forum/

Studio XPS 9100 compatibilty

PART 1
    I am considering the below Dell set up due to the speed of the machine and the ability to get up to 24 gigs of ram. The motherboard does have a PCI slot. I am using VT5.x software with a VT2 card. Does anyone have a XPS9100 with a VT set up? Does anyone know if I'm going to have any problems using the VT2 card in the machine?

PART 2
    I am currently using a Gateway FX series computer with 4 gigs of ram Intel Core 2cpu 6400 @ 2.13ghz and a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 video card. It runs good, but at times when editing HD it hangs up, like the system is trying to catch up with what I am editing (no other programs open at the time). This doesn't happen a lot but it does happen. So would I just be better served by buying a new video card and save the $$$?

DELL SYSTEM I AM CONSIDERING TO UPGRADE TO:
    Studio XPS 9100
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit, English
    Processors Intel® Core™i7-930 processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz)
    Memory 12GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 6 DIMMs

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTVBLUEbrush.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	90411  
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

Dell, though it is hard to keep track of all models have dropped 5V power and signalling support in their systems before most other name brand system suppliers. The same isn't true of Taiwanese brand motherboards but still for realtime all of the time the situation is easier to assume it will work but not certain on these (to clarify, non-Dell) boards. If you are unsure the backwards looking slot is a bit of an identifier. The key is at one end of the 3.3V slot motherboards, although you can read more than one capability into either type of key. The main reason for the key is the signalling. Dell have taken things further by dropping the 5V fail, afaik.

In theory any PCIe board could work with either the StarTech PCI enclosure (either 2PCI+2PCIe or 4PCI) but I've not tried that option yet. Though it has potential for portability and system interchange that I like (especially in that ExpressCard host adapters are possible from StarTech). Magma issues (a competitive vendor's solution that didn't work so well out of the box in the specific case of VT) described in these forums have stopped me from indulging without prior proof. StarTech has a number of positives about the design (airflow) , hook-up and likely re-sale value however such a purchase might work out.

So, beware Dell or get the seller to undertake to accept a return on the basis of it not being universally compatible yet described as such at the point of sale. Assumning they do this at all.

If the OP was regarding switching main without prior preview (which is a PAL region directional preference rather than the 'going-to-camera-x' preview that is the paradigm that the asynchronous internal TBC design of the VT is consructed against. Any hope of switching raw is going to 'glitch' in too many instances to be used this way. Preview can be simulated and I believe there are some rapid scripts available that add some latency but nevertheless give some assurance for those who don't wish to double-key each source cut they do Live!

It is also possible to choke a computer with the wrong mix of additional software. You need a lot of headroom to take the suite to also serve other ambitions. Sure, AntiVirus used to be recommended against for this reason but there are more sinister resource grabbers that we easily forget. AntiV is more or less viable even for live systems, imho.

Tread carefully and if anyone has a working platform based on i3,i5 or i7 then do share it here please. All contributions are eminently useful, to someone.

This conundrum sells a lot of TriCasters.....
    Last edited by rbartlett; 12-07-2010 at 07:17 AM.

I have been using VT editing systems since the Amiga days. Of course once Newtek went PC, I too jumped over to PC from VT2 up to VT5.xx as well as SE2. Recently I wanted to upgrade to a faster computer with greater RAM, my choice was the Dell XPS9100, it has up to 24 gigs, and I'm sure higher gigs possibility in the future. The only problem I had was going to be, not all i7 motherboards recognize the older VT cards. The XPS9100 motherboard is one that does not recognize the VT older cards. Since 99.9% of my work is digital/HD work, I really don't have a need for analog in/outputs. My solution was simple. I use SE2 for editing and CG. Then I was able to upload the VT5 software into the XPS9100, then move the shortcuts for Lightwave and Aura-VT in to a folder to access those programs in the VT5 software. The only thing that I can't use is the VT5 editing window, but SE2 replaces that problem. So I now have a faster post production system that includes SE2 with CG, Lightwave and Aura-VT. Basically a VTXX.xx system. Of course I kept my other computer with the VT5 system which gives me the analog abilities when needed.
    Last edited by VisionTecVideo; 01-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

i7 and VT5 solution I use

I have been using VT editing systems since the Amiga days. Of course once Newtek went PC, I too jumped over to PC from VT2 up to VT5.xx as well as SE2. Recently I wanted to upgrade to a faster computer with greater RAM, my choice was the Dell XPS9100, it has up to 24 gigs, and I'm sure higher gigs possibility in the future. The only problem I had was going to be, not all i7 motherboards recognize the older VT cards. The XPS9100 motherboard is one that does not recognize the VT older cards. Since 99.9% of my work is digital/HD work, I really don't have a need for analog in/outputs. My solution was simple. I use SE2 for editing and CG. Then I was able to upload the VT5 software into the XPS9100, then move the shortcuts for Lightwave and Aura-VT in to a folder to access those programs in the VT5 software. The only thing that I can't use is the VT5 editing window, but SE2 replaces that problem. So I now have a faster post production system that includes SE2 with CG, Lightwave and Aura-VT. Basically a VTXX.xx system. Of course I kept my other computer with the VT5 system which gives me the analog abilities when needed.
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

still not solved...

i am doing the same research and coming up with little.....

what about the asus p6x58D ?

anyone had luck with that ....?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12