Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 850 Noise Level

850 Noise Level

My tricaster will reside in the small studio I broadcast from most of the time. The current tricaster studio has minimal noise. But with the 850 having a dual power supply, I know that sometimes those types of boxes are pretty noisy..

Knowing the engineers they likely went with ultra quite fans etc.. But what is the rated noise level of the 850.

Second do both power supplies have to be run, if they do what is the rated wattage on each.

For someone that has one what is the noise level comparable to.

I am looking at buying a Isobox which is around $2500.00 if the wattage is above 1500 watts I have to get the higher priced unit to maintain air temperature.

http://www.custom-consoles.com/isobox.php

Toddd..

Quote Originally Posted by GeekNews View Post
    Knowing the engineers they likely went with ultra quite fans etc.. But what is the rated noise level of the 850.
    GeekNews,

I am afraid that i actually do not know the exact noise level of the system. I can say however that the first units that we took to NAB where very noisy and based on feedback from people there we put a lot of effort into bringing the noise level down. In general our biggest problem was to keep decent air-flow when the entire back of the unit was covered by connectors and so all of the usual options for holes where not easily possible.

Second do both power supplies have to be run, if they do what is the rated wattage on each.
    This one is much easier. We can run with one of the two power supplies if need be, and each is currently rated at 400w.

My final caution of course is that everything is subject to change. We keep careful track of the parts that go into the system and look for quality issues that can impact some batches of parts and make changes are required.

Andrew

Having done flow dynamics for gear for the military, I can understand the challenges in cooling. Engineering the Routing of air can get expensive and even more hard if your dealing with a stock case.

With all of the liquid cooling options out there today, I hope you all invested in liquid cooling of the processors and other high heat components, because you can reduce the heat with some of the off the shelf products today.

So long as the 850 is sucking air in the front and blowing it out the back most of these sound isolation boxes are designed to push air that way the last thing I want is the 850 to overheat. Because its gonna be running 24/7 when it finally arrives.

Are you recommending people leave 1u above and below the 850 as open air space. If your having trouble getting airflow out the back of the unit where are you venting it?

If you can get this unit in a isolation chamber it would be nice to know what the DB level is.

It's good news those power supplies are only 400 watts actually quite shocked about that in that they are so small.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I would wait on the isobox purchase until you test the noise level firsthand. They are noisier than the Broadcast but not near as noisy as some of the Supermicro case based VT systems we have built.

Regarding heat, yes the air goes front to back. No vents top, bottom, or sides needed. If I can cram one of these 850s in a MINI and not overheat then I strongly feel like your application is a piece of cake.

Just one suggestion for transporting and racking the 850, actually three.... Shockmount Shockmount Shockmount

And not the skb case type, real road case style with 2 inches of foam cushion
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thanks for the info, and semi good news on the noise level.

Pretty amazing that they have been able to have enough airflow with all the connectors in the back.

Would not ship this thing anywhere with out a true road case and shockmounts. If you don't mind me asking what shipping box and model did you go with? Many of them are not quite deep enough,

If you want to send a note offline thats fine as I know some folks are selling boxes on here.

Todd.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Thanks for the info, and semi good news on the noise level.

Pretty amazing that they have been able to have enough airflow with all the connectors in the back.

Would not ship this thing anywhere with out a true road case and shockmounts. If you don't mind me asking what shipping box and model did you go with? Many of them are not quite deep enough,

If you want to send a note offline thats fine as I know some folks are selling boxes on here.

Todd.

We have all our road cases custom built that we sell. We use several different manufacturers depending on the case. OptiCase here in Texas does a fantastic job for me on most of my cases. Odyssey, Olympic, Anvil, and Calzone are all used on occasion too.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Newtek Elite Partner
    I just racked up our demo unit, and that sucker is LOUD. There is a 120mm intake fan on the front, and it does not appear to be controlled by the BIOS, or an onboard thermistor.

I know better than to modify the thing...but man that thing makes some noise.

I've built a bunch of VT5 systems using the Supermicro CSE-743 chassis, and yes, the 5 fans in that box do make a racket, but...they are BIOS controlled, and if you set the system to quiet mode, it will ramp the fan speed if heat buildup dictates it.

I do understand that a VT5 chassis and a TCXD850 chassis are two different animals, and slowing the fan on the 850 would probably be a really bad idea.

But jeez that thing is loud.

Can you possibly try to email me a photo of the fan (preferably from the inside) of your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by eracer View Post
    I just racked up our demo unit, and that sucker is LOUD. There is a 120mm intake fan on the front, and it does not appear to be controlled by the BIOS, or an onboard thermistor.

I know better than to modify the thing...but man that thing makes some noise.

I've built a bunch of VT5 systems using the Supermicro CSE-743 chassis, and yes, the 5 fans in that box do make a racket, but...they are BIOS controlled, and if you set the system to quiet mode, it will ramp the fan speed if heat buildup dictates it.

I do understand that a VT5 chassis and a TCXD850 chassis are two different animals, and slowing the fan on the 850 would probably be a really bad idea.

But jeez that thing is loud.

Question How about noise on the XD300?

Our TCXD300 is very loud. Louder than the three Dell Xeon dual quad-core systems and a couple external hard drives with always-on fans (combined). I'm curious whether this is normal for the TCXD300?

When we do productions, we have typically set up our equipment on a table within 20-30 feet of the talent. We could never do that with our TCXD300.

I'm interested in "hearing" about others' experience with the TCXD300.

Quote Originally Posted by eracer View Post
    This is not at all good news.... Any chance you can get a DB reading on it.

Short of someone sending me a DB meter, there is no chance that I will be able to provide scientific data about the sound emitted from the fans inside the XD300.

Best I could is hold the phone up to it for you, which would be unscientific, at best. :-)

I have been pleasantly surprised with the fan noise in my XD300. Very, very quiet.

Maybe there's a problem with ours? Anyone else have reports of either a quiet or loud XD300?

Las Vegas Toaster
    My 300 is in a tiny green screen studio (like 15' x 10') and the noise is not a problem at all
    Brett Beanan

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I would say the XD850 is loud and the XD300 is quite. If I can find time this coming week, I'll use a DB meter to do some readings of the two. There are times I forget the XD300 is even on but I never make that mistake with the XD850.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast