Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 850 Noise Level

Although I believe that TCXD850 is very much in-line with similar products in terms of noise, there is simply no disputing the fact that the quieter we can make it the better and we remain committed to make this the absolute best product we can.

Although I've not posted in this thread in a few weeks, I can say that over the past month and a half that we have spent a lot of time looking into issues surrounding this and it is a bit early to report any firm conclusions at this point simply because we still need to go through some rounds of vibration, heat, shock, power line harmonics (fans impact this a lot unfortunately), etc...

I plan on responding in quite a bit more detail in the near future, however I am going to say unofficially that if you know what you are doing (and are brave), very careful about internal wiring (make sure that all cable routing is secure and everything is tied down) that it should be quite possible to change the fan if you so desire. You will probably need something that pushes at least 90cu/ft a minute. If you are in a very warm environment I would probably try for a bit more.

Of course, this is highly unofficial for now ... but rest assured that we are looking into this in a lot of detail.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by pconradt View Post
    The 850 is pretty dang loud. The 120MM fan on the front does move a ton of air, but it is spun up to full speed at all times. I forgot to get a model # on it to see how many CFM's it is moving. I'm curious to see something like this would be a replacement http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-nexus120m...entcasefan.htm
    According to NewTek support, the rating of their fan is 90 cfm which is much higher than the fan you linked to. Right now I'm having a tough time finding a 120x120x25mm fan w/ 90 cfm that is quiet. If anybody has a lead, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Last edited by scaught101; 11-05-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    ---
    Scott Whitney
    www.PodWorx.com (Company)
    www.VegasVideoNetwork.com (Online Broadcasting Network)

Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    Although I believe that TCXD850 is very much in-line with similar products in terms of noise, there is simply no disputing the fact that the quieter we can make it the better and we remain committed to make this the absolute best product we can.

Although I've not posted in this thread in a few weeks, I can say that over the past month and a half that we have spent a lot of time looking into issues surrounding this and it is a bit early to report any firm conclusions at this point simply because we still need to go through some rounds of vibration, heat, shock, power line harmonics (fans impact this a lot unfortunately), etc...

I plan on responding in quite a bit more detail in the near future, however I am going to say unofficially that if you know what you are doing (and are brave), very careful about internal wiring (make sure that all cable routing is secure and everything is tied down) that it should be quite possible to change the fan if you so desire. You will probably need something that pushes at least 90cu/ft a minute. If you are in a very warm environment I would probably try for a bit more.

Of course, this is highly unofficial for now ... but rest assured that we are looking into this in a lot of detail.

Andrew
    Thanks for this info, Andrew. What is the voltage rating for this fan? I'm seeing a couple options during my research.
    ---
    Scott Whitney

Being I started this thread some weeks ago before getting my 850, and having mine arrive this morning all I can say is that wow it is loud.

Being that I am on travel I do not have my audio metering gear with me but I can see that I will have to purchase a hush box for this unit. With a studio that is only 14x12 it is louder than 6 other computers that are in the studio.

Considering the cost of land in Hawaii goes for about 450.00 a square foot where I live, I don't see the studio getting any bigger soon.

The 850 is about 50% louder than what I expected. But having worked on a lot of rack mounted gear in the aerospace industry this box is not the loudest I have ever heard for a 4U piece of gear.

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by scaught101 View Post
    According to NewTek support, the rating of their fan is 90 cfm which is much higher than the fan you linked to. Right now I'm having a tough time finding a 120x120x25mm fan w/ 90 cfm that is quiet. If anybody has a lead, please let me know.

Thanks,
    http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6019

I'll save my commentary for some other time. Maybe during the Christmas holiday.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Newtek Elite Partner
    For those that may not be aware, Newtek has a certified replacement intake fan available.

It is MUCH quieter, and while the power supply fans do make a bit of noise, it is nowhere near as loud as it was with the original fan. (I can actually hear the power supply fans now.)

Thanks Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by eracer View Post
    For those that may not be aware, Newtek has a certified replacement intake fan available.
    Yes, in case anyone missed it, here's the announcement.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Newbie Member
    Uh oh. The 850 on order is to be moved between small theatre control rooms. Very small space with open control room windows right above back row of audience seating (less than 10 feet). This could be really, really bad.

"Portable" should be for assorted venue use. I'm sure this will be sorted out.
    But is it something we should delay shipping (out of country) for?
    Chris

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I posted on another thread but I received my replacement fan on Monday and I plan on installing on This coming Monday.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

What's the verdict on the new fan, Jose? I am quite concerned with my Tricaster 850 order in regards to this problem. My use of the Tricaster 850 will put me in small venues with audiences. Any good news?

Thanks.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Sorry, been so busy I forgot to follow up.
    It is a lot better and now the tektronics scope are noisier (they have loud fans). But that is my strange noise test since before changing the fan, the XD850 was louder.
    So I am satisfied. Note this is in a control room with scopes, decks and other things so not sure what other peoples view on this but again, I am satisfied.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M. View Post
    What's the verdict on the new fan, Jose? I am quite concerned with my Tricaster 850 order in regards to this problem. My use of the Tricaster 850 will put me in small venues with audiences. Any good news?

Thanks.
    We installed the new fan on our 850. What a HUGE difference! Much better, and a green glow to boot.

I'm not completely convinced its moving as much air as the previous fan, but if it's good enough for a NewTek recommendation, it's good enough for me.
    ---
    Scott Whitney

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    How can you tell if an 850 has the new fan or the old fan? Is there any externally visible difference? My new unit is a bit louder than I expected (I can clearly hear it anywhere I stand in my 30'x30' studio) I'll need to investigate ways to mitigate the noise if this is the 'quiet' model...

Thanks,
    -john
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

The new ones have a green glow coming from the fan, which is right behind the radiating ring pattern on the front of the case. I would describe the old one as loud and this new one as very quiet. If you can clearly hear it from 30' away, you've probably got an old one. When my laptop fan fires up it sounds louder than the TriCaster is now...

Kris

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by kltv View Post
    When my laptop fan fires up it sounds louder than the TriCaster is now...
    Kris
    You laptop fan is louder than the coolers on the 850's redundant power supplies? What kind of monster laptop do you have?
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast