Thread: Hybrid convergent-parallel stereoscopic camera setup (tutorial)

Lightbulb Hybrid convergent-parallel stereoscopic camera setup (tutorial)

I developed this early in 2010 when tasked with some stereoscopic work in Lightwave. The built-in stereo camera is uselessly limited, so...using Lightwave's tilt-shift camera and basic nulls, this setup lets you create perfectly tuned convergence without any perspective distortion. Pretty nifty, if I dare say so myself.

http://iaian7.com/lightwave/StereoscopicCameras
    (Lightwave scene downloads are available from the Vectorform blog)

The attached images are stills from a looping animation done in Lightwave using the camera rig posted above, and comped in After Effects (lighting effects and anaglyph compositing, though all the water ripples were done in realtime on the Microsoft Surface during multitouch gameplay, so not shown here). More tutorials to follow in the next couple of weeks, covering basic Anachrome/Trioscopic/ColorCode compositing in Photoshop, After Effects, and Quartz (for use with Noise Industries' FXfactory Pro in Final Cut, Motion, or After Effects).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish420.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	293.1 KB 
ID:	88083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish420stereo.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	88084  
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

The above article was started over 6 months ago, and in the time between writing and getting approval from my employer to post, it looks like Newtek has been working on updating the stereo camera! A good thread to follow is over here - http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112310

That said, the hybrid system above may yet be superior for a while. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by Iaian7; 09-14-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    John Einselen

Nice mate.Thanks to share your knowledge and smart solutions for LW.
    I' ve my own hybrid stereo rig for this task (equally outdated by the new stereo aproach in lw10) I 'll post very soon,maybe it can give 2 cents to the cause.

pff I am not entirely sure, but I used a great stereo camera rig posted by you here on the forums somewhere Iaian?

LW10 (and 9.6.1 beta for that matter) don't work on our massive scene so no new tools to be used (whether they work yet or not). Adapted your rig a bit and it is saving me tons of time! (got 90 sequences......)

Big thanks to you mate...

ps: ow hey, you also got that nice clouds tut. I'm still waiting till I can use those.

Thanks guys! I didn't think I'd posted anything about a stereo rig before, maybe someone else?

And do post that rig Lightmann, always good to see how others are solving the problem.
    John Einselen

Ah indeed, it wasn't you. Dang, these rigs are popping everywhere

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthr...reo+camera+rig
    Jrandom posted it.. (thanks mate!!)

I guess because there is a very good use for them. How I would like to actually preview such rig in anaglyph or checkerboard.. Then again, by now with experience just alternating between the cameras quickly gives good info as well.

Wow, interesting! And that thread actually knows what they're doing with the math... I randomly hacked away till things seemed to work.
    John Einselen

Rigs dont work

Im worthless at scripting so forgive me, but anytime I load the shift camera rigs into my scene (using load items from scene) the shift script stops working and they dont follow the null. What am I doing wrong?

Be careful

Ok, I set up a bunch of scenes by loading the items into the scene with the camera rig. That seemed to work fine. Then I went to render and re-opened the scenes and the script for the rig wasnt working anymore. Just a heads up that these scripted solutions can be problematic, especially if you cant debug the script yourself.

I'm seeing some issues like this as well. Lightwave 9.6 tends to corrupt expressions on save/reopen (I keep seeing things reset to the wrong item names), and the Lightwave 10 beta just screws up everything (doesn't work at all).

What version are you using?
    John Einselen

Ugh

Im using 9.6. Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. And thanks so much for taking the time to create and post this. I thought it was a very nice implementation, and it was frustrating to have to do it all manually. Lets hope Newtek gets things together soon. I'm already moving on myself.

Thanks again.