Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE 1.2 Disappears instantly

SE 1.2 Disappears instantly

After a near meltdown over the weekend, where one of the 4 drives I have set up as a Raid in my T4 system got flakey, I was able to get everything off of there and copy it to my newer QUad Core machine in hopes of finishing up a project that is three years in the making.

The first time I opened the project on Saturday, it was a ok for a few minutes and then SE disappeared. I opened it again and it seemed to stay open but disappeared soon after. I called Newtek tech support and was told that I should download the latest patch that addresses crashing if QUicktime is ont the system. I upgraded and was about to use it now

Tonight, I am unable to open the project at all. Crashes everytime. Instantly. I can open another simple project that has one long video on it and nearly no edits but not the one that I need to finish. What can I do? It cant be a rogue file in the video drive (in File Bin) because the simple project points to it also. Any ideas? My nightmare is continuing where it left off. I guess I am not out of the water yet.

I may have solved my own problem but I dont want to count my chickens. I looked in the entire V drive and saw one .txt file that I moved and now SE opens and stays open. Would a txt file wreak that much havoc? It wasnt on the timeline. I was just in the directory with the other videos.

Blog Entries
    Tony.

For the sake of your sanity, PLEASE upgrade to SE 1.5.5 and then the QT patch.

SE 1.2 is riddled with bugs and notorious for crashing. SE 1.5.5 is MUCH mor stable.

Seriously, do it.

Shabazzy

My mistake. I have the latest SE according to tech support. I am as up to date as can be regarding SE 1.

Oh well. I am back to being semi-screwed. SE is disappearing again for no reason. No mention in Event Viewer. No clues anywhere since everything else on this computer works without problem. I will call Tech Support tomorrow when they are open but I am not the slightest bit optimistic.

Blog Entries
    Things I would look at.

OS
    I know at one time SE 1.x had issues with Vista and Windows 7. XP was the most stable for new installations, while Vista machines required a service pack and other updates to make it more stable. What OS are you using?

Graphics Cards
    I read somewhere in these forums that Steve Bowie mentioned that a lot of the time SE crashes were down to graphic card issues. You may want to check yours against the NTs recommended ones and/or install the latest drivers for your OS.

Clean machine
    I'd try installing SE on a totally clean system. A brand new OS install (including all the required updates) with no other packages other than the OS and SE to see if you get the same problem.

VT vs SE
    Lastly, I'd try installing SE without VT to see if that overcomes the problem as there may be a conflict with the VT hardware and the OS or graphics card.

It's a lot of fault finding, but necessary fault finding.

Happy hunting.

Shabazzy
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 09-03-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Oh well. I am back to being semi-screwed. SE is disappearing again for no reason.
    Does this happen when you are not doing anything in SE, or does it happen when you are performing some operation or other?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for the reply guys. To answer your questions:

I am running XP SP3 so the OS is good. SE 1.5.5 installed. Not much else on this machine. I have Sound FOrge 9.0 installed for the audio and Photoshop CS2. Quictime 7.xx is on there but I have the latest SE patch for that. Other than that, there is nothing on this computer. I was a clean install of 32 bit XP when I built it. It;s Quad Core with 4GB Ram. System drive is 160GB and I have two 1TB drives striped for the video drive. I disable many unnecessary services (even DHCP) to keep the resources free. I have drive indexing turned off on the striped drives. This computer was tweaked and runs lean so that I could run SE without issues but that isn't happening.

I got an nvidia GeForce 7900 GT with driver version 8.4.2.1. I just went to nvidia's site and installed 6.14.12.5896. I opened SE and it crashed instantly when opening the project I am working on. It is all avis, rtvs, pngs, jpgs, wav files. No TGAs or anything weird. Plenty of edits though.

T4 is not, nor has ever been, installed on this computer. All drives are completely defrag'd and I ran a 5 stage chkdsk on them too without any problems reported.

There is nothing mentioned in the Windows event viewer.

This usually happens when SE is opening the project. I see the timeline for two seconds and POOF! If I am lucky enough to open it, it randomly disappears, usually while scrubbing the timeline or making any adjustment, so I guess the answer is, it happens when using SE and it has happened when I wasnt touching itUsually, I save all along the way with every edit that I do.

Should I completely uninstall SE and reinstall? It is the only progam on the computer that crashes. I am able to open another project that has one single video on the timeline and nearly no edits at all, so it looks like it may be the project file. If that is true, what can I do? But if it is the project, how would I have been able to edit it for many hours yesterday, but not today? It is completely random, which is what makes this so friggin difficult to troubleshoot.

If when you moved your video files, is there a chance that one/some got corrupted?

I've had problems with corrupted video files on rare occassions and the quickest workaround for me is
    1) before starting SE go to the folder(s) where the clips are stored
    2) temporarily (and carefully) move 50 % of them to a new folder that you have created (don't make copies and move them, this defeats the ultimate purpose, move the originals)
    3) try to open your project... if it opens and runs correctly (even with 'missing video icons') then the corrupted file is in the ones you moved.
    4) if it doesn't open correctly then reverse step 2 and move the other 50% to your new folder.
    5) After you figure out which 50% your problem video is in, you can then move smaller and smaller amounts of videos until you come down to 1 (or more)
    6) then recapture that one (those) and continue.

I didn't say it was fast, but it will work

John
    Last edited by videojt; 09-03-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have hundreds of clips and that would take forever. All of the files are good. I had already copied them a few months ago from the failing computer (before it was failing). I searched my posts and forgot that I had these same issues long ago before I even started this project.

Blog Entries
    Your set up seems fine, so the problem is almost certainly to do with this project.

I doubt very much that your problem is going to be your video clips, because I think if you were to start a new project and have those exact clips included without any effects, images, etc; you'd be fine. The exception to that would be HD clips that utilise AVCHD the file format. SE 1.5.5 is known to have a low tolerance with AVCHD.

I think you have a problem with one of the effects, plug-ins (if you have any), sound files or possibly images. If the problem is with the images, I reckon it's more to do with SE not locating it properly or a bad blacklisted codec somewhere.

You may need to rebuild the 'NewTek Info' folder from a new project by going to the 'Filebin' and right clicking in an empty area, then selecting 'Clean Temporary Files'. I'm not sure, but you may need to navigate to where your project is kept before you perform it.

Also, check out this thread as it contains some useful info pertaining to crashes with SE 2 that could be useful:
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105969

Happy hunting

Shabazzy

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Poof at project load has meant a corrupt clip or still for me every time.

If it were a bad clip or still, why would it work most of the time but not sometimes? It is the randomness that is driving me bats. I opened the project before and it disappeared immediately. I tried it again and it worked for awhile until I closed it.

My big question is this.... is it possible that if a file is bad, does it matter if it is already in the project or does it simply have to be in the file bin that everything is stored in to make it crash? I ask this because if I start a new project, the V drive is where everything is. If I navigate to the V drive (in File Bin), then I will see all of the files. Will SE crash for the file simply being in that bin or does it have to be on the timeline already? I could always make a new project and copy everything over to it. WOuld that fix it?

I have nearly all dissolves though I do have one or two 3rd party toaster dves but they play without any problem. I have no plugins. I think the only codecs I have installed are the ones that come with WIndows and the ones that came with SE during the install. I think they were seperate downloads from Newtek.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    If it were a bad clip or still, why would it work most of the time but not sometimes?
    Because it is bad.

Once 'corrupted clip' for me meant particular settings were causing the clip to be corrupt. I did not have to remove the clip, I had to disable ALL splines and adjustments and start from scratch.

I had a LOT going on the clip, color correct, resize, movement, audio, etc, and somewhere a setting caused the thing to go whacky.

I found the clip, removed all settings, then slowly replaced them one at a time saving between each and it ended up working fine...

:dontknow:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast