Thread: Live Text on my Laptop Doesn't Run

Live Text on my Laptop Doesn't Run

I have a new laptop with Windows 7. Live Text installed fine but now won't open because it says that you must have 1280 X 800 resolution. My laptop goes to 1366 X 768, but no higher. I tried to find new drivers to no avail. Also I tried the 640 X 480 compatibility mode that Live Text has and it doesn't work either- just keeps putting the pop up that says it must be 1280 X 800. Any ideas?

My old Windows XP laptop worked fine....

thanks
    -Larry

Quote Originally Posted by lvsoule View Post
    Also I tried the 640 X 480 compatibility mode that Live Text has and it doesn't work either ...
    Ummm - what 'compatibility mode', Larry? Where are you seeing that option?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

If you right click on the livetext icon(or shortcut icon) - and go to properties- then pick compatibility - there is a run in 640 X 480 check box - but that doesn't work.

Aaah, thanks, I see. That's a Windows feature, not an LT one. It's intended to make it possible to run an older application that fails to run under Windows 7 (designed, for example, for XP or earlier) in the Win 7 environment. Interesting attempt at a workaround. I guess it doesn't resolve the fact that LT needs a certain amount of real estate on the screen, though.

From the LT 1.x manual:

LiveText requires (as a minimum):
    • A CPU which supports the SSE2 instruction set (typically an Intel® Pentium® 4 or better)
    • A graphics display card (AGP or PCI-E recommended) with Microsoft® DirectX® 9™ (or better) compatibility
    • A monitor capable of displaying a minimum resolution of 1280x800 pixels
    (The same minimum res applies to LT2.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I am having the same problem after buying a $1200 dollar laptop. Not an old laptop. Was wondering if LT2 had the same problem and you gave me the answer. Saved almost $300. Can anything be done?? I am really upset that 1. this laptop can give higher resolution and 2. that LT would not work on my windows 7 laptop. Feel like back in the days of windows 3.1

If your laptop has an external video port, you might be able to connect a bigger external monitor and solve the problem that way.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I think LiveText 2 warns you about not being high enough resolution, but will let you continue anyway.

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kltv View Post
    I think LiveText 2 warns you about not being high enough resolution, but will let you continue anyway.

Kris
    Kris,

That would work for me, but is this something you can confirm? Mr SBowie, is it possible that LT2 just warns and let me continue?

Possible, yes, but the reason for the warning would be that some controls might not appear on the screen when it's too small.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I can try it for you. What's your target resolution?

Kris

Thanks kltv. My native resolution is 1366 x 768. next option is 1280 x 720. Will try some virtual desktop options. Thank again!

Steve is correct, the UI does not scale so the resolution cannot be any smaller than 1280x800. Ran into this myself a couple times trying to work-on the-go, back when we were making the default Title pages for the TriCaster 850.
    NewTek Customer Support:newtek:

FYI -- I've used PowerStrip to shoehorn a 1280x1024 resolution into a Dell Inspiron 300m (native: 1024x768 max), and get LiveText running on that. It's not super functional, and I wouldn't want to do a lot of intensive CG development on it, as the physical monitor still only displays 1024x768 pixels, and when you move your mouse to edge of the screen, the remainder scrolls into view, but it probably can be coerced into working that way, as well.

-steve

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Lots easier to:

A: buy a new laptop with correct specs

Or

B: use an external monitor

One of demo machines for LiveText is a Lenovo small form factor PC running on an Atom proc with no dedicated gfx card. It runs great. Smaller than a Mac mini and only cost 300. Will run desktop at full 1920x1080 via VGA or hdmi
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 03-25-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI