Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LT2 with Excel

Quote Originally Posted by dnewman31 View Post
    [EDIT]if I had a license to LT2 I could probably even do some community how to videos on it... (hint hint) [/EDIT]
    Or .... I have Access, and LT2 - so if you come over to my place on a Saturday ... (I'll buy the beer).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    I never heard back on the suggestion, though.
    Mostly, I think, because it's a lot easier to type that line that to implement direct OLE support into LT.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Code Jockey
    During the LT2 beta test I suggest Datalink be able to access Excel files directly.
    I agree that this would be good, also support for direct xml access with xpath would be good too. Does is support pulling rss feeds?

I also suggested a means by which you could do calculations in LT2
    It might be handy but all this could be accomplished either with stored procs/sql on the sql server or a sheet in the xls that has calculations in it.

Good separation of concerns would make the page simply consume prepared data, that way when you make a quick title with a subset of the information you don't have to reenter (and risk a typo in) the formula. Instead the data would be prepped elsewhere (SQL) always be correct for the screen. Putting the logic in the display may seem great, but trust me, eventually it will bite you.

Back on the subject of SQL and external data:
    Another thing worth noting with consuming other data through sql is that you can do an Import and save the SSIS package so that the next time all you have to do is run the package.. Then you could set it up on a job to run at whatever interval you need (not sure if the job support is in sql express) to keep the database current with the file source.
    Duane Newman
    FrogPond Technologies, Inc.
    www.frogpondtech.com

I installed Apache, PHP and MySQL locally that will dynamically retrieve data from the internet, update the database and even produce a XML file. When putting the keys into LT2 and Datalink, nothing is referenced.

In my particular case, I am not using Excel nor Access. Building a database would allow things to update dynamically, which is the point in our effort - a Twitter search function that can then be imported to LT2 via Datalink.

I assume that an ODBC System must be installed, but that is where my breakdown occurs. I have never been able to get Datalink to speak to any xml file.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Gandy View Post
    I have never been able to get Datalink to speak to any xml file.
    I'm not aware that it should, apart from reading it's own xml definition file (in the Database Input folder). My understanding was that it uses the values in that file to directly query the SQL database - i.e., not that it pulls values from an xml file constructed by the database.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Code Jockey
    Steve, can you find out if LT2 understand MySQL connections?

While the query languages are the same (in as much they adhere to the SQL 98 standard) establishing connections is entirely different than MS SQL Server.

I'm just shooting in the dark with suggestions here as I just have LT.
    Duane Newman
    www.frogpondtech.com

Thanks for noting the difference, Steve. I will have to make sure that the proper form of query is placed in the xml subdirectory and then give that a shot. It has been a number of weeks since I worked on the project, so I'll check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Mostly, I think, because it's a lot easier to type that line that to implement direct OLE support into LT.
    Pash. Details, details.

Yeah, I'm sure it's pretty complicated!

Quote Originally Posted by dnewman31 View Post
    Steve, can you find out if LT2 understand MySQL connections?
    I'll continue trying to find out more. In the meantime, can you direct me to any online infor on MySQL connections?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Code Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    In the meantime, can you direct me to any online infor on MySQL connections?
    I'm afraid not, I'm not that familiar with MySQL (generally use MS SQL). I just know that they don't talk the same protocol (network), just the same/similar query language. I think MySQL supports ODBC connections, but again-not positive the details.
    Duane Newman
    www.frogpondtech.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12