Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random colouring parts with DP Kit - not working ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Or the Extended Spot Info in conjunction with the Sequencer node for pseudo random shuffling if you have a lot of items in the scene (both from the free db&w tools).

Cheers,
    Mike

So many options .. so little time to test them. Cheers for the tip Mike

Thx for the infos guys.

@ adk
    Yeah, thats kinda the result I'm looking for.

I'm having problems with the ObjectID Node. When I want to import it to Layout, I get the "Plug-in not found or added" Error. Does anyone maybe now why?

I DL the 64bit one. Using LW 64 and Vista 64.

http://208.109.87.135/artists/videos...jectID_x64.zip

@ Lightwolf
    How exactly do I use the nodes? I took the Extended Spot Info and the Sequencer Nodes, tried both Object outputs plugging them in the sequencer that runs into the Input of a Gradient Node.

I don't get the result I'm looking for. The Objects all get the same color and thats the last color in the Gradient Node.

Any way, thx for your help guys. I'm slowly getting somewhere I think

Greetz
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dawg View Post
    @ Lightwolf
    How exactly do I use the nodes? I took the Extended Spot Info and the Sequencer Nodes, tried both Object outputs plugging them in the sequencer that runs into the Input of a Gradient Node.

I don't get the result I'm looking for. The Objects all get the same color and thats the last color in the Gradient Node.
    The Sequencer Node always outputs numbers in the range from 0..1 - that's what your gradient should cover.

Cheers,
    Mike

So in other words, True or False?

Or is it like 0,1,2,3 etc.?

My Gradient is setup with 6 Markers set to "Step" and having a color each or a Image 2D with the UV Texture setup in the color inputs.

Hm, I'll have to try again.

Thx
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

So in other words, True or False?

Or is it like 0,1,2,3 etc.?
    Neither... a floating point number between 0..1, but one that is identical for every value entered into the Sequencer on subsequent runs. It's a pseudo random number.

So more like the following values: 0.1, 0.8, 0.2, 0.3567, 0.9342, etc...

It only makes sense if you need random colours/surfacing that is consistent (it was initially designed to generate RGB mattes as a replacement for object/surface ID buffers).

Cheers,
    Mike

Oh I understand now. Floating point. Ok not too difficult I think. I should be able to just use the values in the Gradient Node as 0, 0.1, 0.2 etc.

I wish the ObjectID Node would work to see if that is more what I'm going for. I mean, your Nodes are great for randomness, kinda like HD Instance stuff (which I can't afford) and will come in use, thats for sure

Greetz
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

Oh I understand now. Floating point. Ok not too difficult I think. I should be able to just use the values in the Gradient Node as 0, 0.1, 0.2 etc.

I wish the ObjectID Node would work to see if that is more what I'm going for. I mean, your Nodes are great for randomness, kinda like HD Instance stuff (which I can't afford) and will come in use, thats for sure
    You can always use the Object number directly (which outputs the same value as James ObjectID node).

Cheers,
    Mike

Ok just tried it. Works great. Thx for the info about the output.

I was about to ask that So I can use your Extended Spot to get the Object that was Cloned using "Node Item Motion" to control the the Gradient so I know which Object will get the desired Texture?

I tried that with the Gradient set to 1,2,3, etc and connected the Object output from the Spot Node. I didn't get the desired result though.

So as I understand, you say I get the Object Number (like 1,2,3 etc) from the Node and can use that with the Gradient?

OK I'll try again. I hope this works so I can go to the next Step.

Greetz and Thx

EDIT:
    Hm, thats what I've been trying before and I do get a result, but the result is all objects get the last Texture/Color from the Gradient node and not the assigned Texture/Color controlled by the Gradient based on Cloned Object.

But I'm getting closer.
    Last edited by K-Dawg; 08-10-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Tested something
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

So as I understand, you say I get the Object Number (like 1,2,3 etc) from the Node and can use that with the Gradient?
    You do, but it's actually the object number in the complete list of objects used by Layout.
    But, getting the clone number -> i.e. "Object (##)" (returning 0 if there isn't one), would actually be a nice feature request

Cheers,
    Mike

Oh ok. That means I would have to use the Object ID from Lightwave itself and put that in the Gradient.

How do I find that ID out? Hm, that means I gotta be careful later on when I'm finished with every thing then clone the Objects (which a many) without losing the ID.

Thx Mike
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

Oh ok. That means I would have to use the Object ID from Lightwave itself and put that in the Gradient.

How do I find that ID out? Hm, that means I gotta be careful later on when I'm finished with every thing then clone the Objects (which a many) without losing the ID.
    The object ID is basically the (sequential) number + a high value to flag it as an object (as opposed to a camera or bone).

I believe the new scene editor displays it.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thx Mike. I'm getting somewhere now.

Well I dunno if the new Scene Editor shows Object IDs. Either I can't find the Setting for it, or it isn't available. Same with the flyout Menu at bottom of UI. I think it's the Item List Menu. Can't see it there either. I can sort the Items in the List by Object ID, but couldn't see the ID itself

Now I gotta find out what is wrong with the ObjectID Node. Is it normal that the plug-in file for x64 is only 51k ?

Anyway, thx a bundle Mike

Greetz
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

Now I gotta find out what is wrong with the ObjectID Node. Is it normal that the plug-in file for x64 is only 51k ?
    That's fairly reasonable for a simple node, yes.

Cheers,
    Mike

Well I dunno if the new Scene Editor shows Object IDs.
    Properties->Item: Names and Statistics, last column.

Cheers,
    Mike

Cool thx.

I really appreciate your help Mike, but I guess I have to bug you with something else now.

The ID of the Objects are (for now) 100000e3, 100000e5,100000e7 and 100000e9

How do I use that in the Gradient Node?

Greetz
    Kevin "K-Dawg" Reeves

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast