Thread: Linear Workflow colors on Mac?

Linear Workflow colors on Mac?

I've been reading up on linear workflows and for Windows there is a smattering of linear color-pickers but none for Mac that I could find.

I was thinking of making a simple node setup that would convert a regular color node to its linear equivalent but haven't found a clear description of what math I need to use.

What I've found so far is the equation:

log(in_value) / log(out_value)

So if I wanted to convert a gamma 2.2 color to linear, would I multiply each scalar in the color vector by:

log(2.2) / log(1.0)

? Are those natural logs, 10-base logs, or does it even matter? (It's been a long time since Algebra class...)

(I've also been pondering writing my first Lightwave node plugin that will do this very same thing once I've got the math down. If I get it to work, I'll post it for free here since it would be a rather handy thing to have for us Mac users.)

No need to re-invent anything... db&w already has a gamma color correct in their Simple Colour Corrector node which is part of their free node pack. Definitely worth downloading! We all need to thank Mike!

http://www.db-w.com/content/view/137/175/

Rock. On.

Thank you.