Thread: Capture HDV via Firewire

Capture HDV via Firewire

How have you guys been capturing HDV because when I capture HDV from my Canon XHA-1 via Firewire (SE2), the capture screen is very choppy and a lot of the times it stops the capture process. Is it a hardware issue or software issue?

Las Vegas Toaster
    sounds like your hard drive can not keep up.... I have captured literally hundreds of hours via firewire with no problems
    Brett Beanan

Gang'
    I'd like to think I'm as smart as the average bear, but I've got a problem that has got me by the ???.
    Recently upgraded to VT5 - new computer - etc.
    Shooting with the Canon XHA1S
    Problem,
    Firewire cable hooked up (6 pin on both ends)
    I cannot get VT5 - speedEdit to recognize the camera
    yes - it is in playback mode (tried both of them, 'VCR/PLAY' and 'EXT. CONT'}
    I've tried every conceivable start up sequence.. ie camera first, then VT5. VT5 first then camera, camera playing back video then VT5... etc.
    Any ideas?
    This is the first time I've tried to capture from the Canon.
    Yes the 'DV ON' is selected on the camera.
    Help
    John

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    What OS are you using? If it is Windows 7 64 bit (may also be 32 bit), then change the 1394 driver to legacy. This may fix both your problems.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

WOW,
    Yes I'm using Windows 7.
    Changed to 'legacy' and bingo-bango-bongo.... it worked
    gotta love this forum
    Thank you
    John

Yeah I thought it was the problem.
    FYI: This is not a SE problem and I found out about it when I did a search last month on 1394 problems in Windows 7. The search led me to a Premiere forum where the advice to switch to legacy was given. It worked for me so I figure I would offer it when ever it even sounds familiar enough of a problem.

I'm hoping it helps the other fellow as well because past this easy fix, it can end up being a larger problem.

Your welcome and take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Don't give up - that's just what they want you to do!
    I've been through the hoops on firewire too. Here are some key data:

The connection requires a handshake between the camera and the computer, the camera will respond based on the resolution of the tape in the camera. I have a Sony M25U deck and if I have a SD-DV tape in it, it will show up as a generic DV tape deck, and I can only capture SD DV.

If I have an HDV tape in it, it will handshake as a Sony M25U deck and give me the ability to capture HDV.

Also, SpeedEdit will not be able to take the link of the deck f some other program has it ir gets it first. Windows Movie Maker is oftern the default program to accept incoming firewire DV deck or camera connections. You should check to see if WMM is getting the connection first. It's possible, but you probably would have found it by now.

I also have an Avid Adrenaline on the same machine as SE, and if the Avid software is running AT ALL, whether it has the deck or not, I cannot get the connection, and I have to close Avid Media Composer, and then I have to re-boot the deck to force the handshake before I can get a proper connection to either capture or send.

If Avid can do this, I'm sure other software can lock it out. I am sure you have slready tried rebooting & not having anything else running before you try hooking up, so this probably isn;t what's happening with you, but it's worth mentioning.

Maybe you have some digital photo software suite that you installed with a new camera that is lurking in your taskmanager with a bus monitor type program, waiting for you to hook up, and it might be jumping on the line for the handshake, and this would preclude SE from getting it, because SE seems a little less tenacious in it's monitoring.

I've sometimes even found dirt or pocket-fluff stuffed into the jack preventing the cable from going in the whole way (the pocket fluff comes from having the cable in your pocket - can't really fit a handycam in your pocket), and this again will stop all connections.

I'll think of another reason right after I hit send on this reply, too.

I believe the driver was his issue and now he is fine Mutley
    Like I said, it is a Windows 7 problem and not a SE problem but once you go back to the legacy driver, it seems to solve the problem most times, as it did this time for him.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster