Thread: re-linking files to the timeline/storyboard

re-linking files to the timeline/storyboard

Hi folks.

I recently edited a lot of narration using SpeedEDIT which worked out fine.

Now a couple of weeks later the client has informed me that he needs one of the clips re-encoded.

When I boot the program and the timeline my edit is there but is shown in red, meaning there is no media or media offline.

How do I re-link the original media to the existing project timeline?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I use the Spreadsheet tab.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

OK.

When I click the spreadsheet tab all my files appear there in red. What to do?

Cheers

In the spreadsheet, you will see drive and path columns. Select all the layers and click on the three dots in drive and point to the right drive. Then do the same for path if need be. You also have access to the file name itself as the last column.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Thanks!

I'll give that a try.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post

In the spreadsheet, you will see drive and path columns. Select all the layers and click on the three dots in drive and point to the right drive. Then do the same for path if need be. You also have access to the file name itself as the last column.
    Once I figured out the spreadsheet order of things it worked like a charm.

Thanks a bunch. You saved me a world of pain.

Cheers

Mike

No problem
    Just want to point out, there is a whole chapter in the manual describing Spreadsheet.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Smile

I have to admit that when I went to the manual and looked for re-linking not much came up. Not ever having used the spreadsheet before I wasn't clear on its purpose. Now I'm a solid advocate.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have to admit that when I went to the manual and looked for re-linking not much came up.
    A search for "link" or "drive" will lead you to the Spreadsheet chapter, which among other things mentions the following:

The real power of the Spreadsheet is in its ability to manage file details, and do so in bulk at times.

For example, suppose you finished a project and cleared your hard drives of all the clips. Then six months later your client returns wanting some changes (oh joy). You can recapture the project clips, but suppose this time the clips wind up on your V drive rather than where they were originally. You can simply reload the project and open the Spreadsheet. Select the entries for all clips that you need to relocate and right-click on the first clip in the Drive column.

In the Context Menu, choose Edit Drive and enter V (if that’s where the clips are). When you press Enter, all the clips that you have selected will change their path to V.
    Something that's not mentioned in the Manual at present is also relevant. You will find an item labeled "Missing items search path" under Files in Preferences. This can also be used to re-associate files.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")