Thread: Web Streaming Solution?

Web Streaming Solution?

Hey everybody!

While I am quite familiar with offline video solutions, I have never had the need to concern myself with webstreaming of video content. A client recently asked us, if we could help him with setting up a solution for webstreaming of not just one, but 4, maybe even 5 cameras at once. In addition, he wants to keep a high quality local copy.
    Now there are plenty of software solutions that allow me to do either or, but both at once is somewhat difficult, especially since the quality of the webstream and the local copy would have to be quite different.
    The other issue is CPU usage. If I want to have 5 cameras, preferably in HD and compress the streams of all 5 of them at once, then CPU usage could become a problem.
    I was therefore thinking about using two separate machines, one for the webstream and one for the local copy.
    That way, I could split up the workload at least a tiny bit.
    In addition to all this, the budget is not very big either (less than 4000 USD, excl. our salary for the job). So if anyone has some ideas about how to best solve this, please let me know. If this cant be done for the budget, please let me know too. At least I know then how to proceed from here.
    Thanks in advance!
    Elmar
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

A Tricaster... errr, from that company, I think its called Newtek or something like that.

Don't know will it fit into your budget, though.
    Last edited by akademus; 06-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

Don't know will it fit into your budget, though.
    Well, yeah I know about Tricaster. Tricaster is great, but a bit too much, for what our client needs. It would also totally burst the budget.
    We need a cheap solution that works with cheap cameras (probably connected via USB) and that is generally not very sophisticated.
    We have been working out a few ideas, but they are all a little soso.
    My biggest concern is the fact that downsampling 5 HD streams and compressing them for web all while saving them with another compression for HQ storage does take quite a lot of computational power, at least from our current tests. It seems like we might need two separate computers.
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Blog Entries
    There's software solutions.I'm not sure but if you do a search for pod casting software should get you what you're looking for
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Elmar Moezler -
    I was therefore thinking about using two separate machines, one for the webstream and one for the local copy.
    A few years ago some cameras could record (Tape / harddrive etc) and output via Firewire / USB at the same time. If you can find a cheap HD cam that can do the same today then maybe that's half the battle. You only have to worry about processing power.

(UK Prices)
    Budget recordable HD Camcorders = 4 x £250 = £1000 approx
    Budget PC boxes = 2 * £250 = £500 (2 streams each) approx
    Software = No idea, shouldn't fill the rest of your budget though.

Total in US dollars = $2350 approx + software.

If you can get video tape, DVD or memory card type cameras then all the better (no need to transfer anything later and the client keeps the hardcopy).

[EDIT - oops. Monitors help don't they , add on another 2 * $150. There's also storage media for the camcorders, but that's an ongoing cost and should be met by the client]
    Last edited by T-Light; 06-25-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Brent

Check out...

http://www.digital-rapids.com/Produc...fications.aspx

They have scalable hardware solutions.
    And one of the best realtime encoders.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor