Thread: FLV import in SpeedEdit

FLV import in SpeedEdit

I have a client that has 6 large files all in FLV.

Will SpeedEdit import these? I'm still using 1.55 so will either 1.55 or 2.0 do the job?

If not what program would you recommend to do the conversion?

Thanks for your guidance...

Thanks! James

Blog Entries
    I'm not 100% sure if SpeedEdit will import FLV files into it (I don't see why it couldn't) but assuming you have a Windows based operating system, you could download AVS Video Convertor. It's an excellent tool that converts pretty much anything to anything. And best of all, its FREE!

http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter.aspx

Hope this helps

Shabazzy
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 06-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks! I will look into that program. I was hoping that if SpeedEdit could keep it in its native format FLV that what I will be rendering too when I'm done.

Thanks again! James

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jredmond108 View Post
    Thanks! I will look into that program. I was hoping that if SpeedEdit could keep it in its native format FLV that what I will be rendering too when I'm done.

Thanks again! James
    Well, technically SpeedEdit would only recognise the FLV file format as one it is compatible with and will then decode the video data stored in the FLV file.

Once decoded, I think SpeedEdit converts the data into something more SpeedEdit friendly for you to edit with, but the video data you edit with isn't going to be the original FLV file's encoded data.

The point is, you don't have to worry about losing quality by using a convertor. If you're going to use a convertor, just make sure you convert your FLV to a file using a lossless video codec or uncompressed codec, that way you can be sure that when you edit it with SpeedEdit you'll have lost nothing.

Of course there are going to be some exceptions to the above paragraph, but these are really fairly minor and more to do with SpeedEdit rather than the convertor.

All the same, I'm pretty sure SpeedEdit can read FLV videos.

Shabazzy

Best way for flash to my knowledge...

You should get SE 2.0, then in the file view find your .flv's and "Right Click" and "Convert to SpeedHQ" and save them where you want as same size (30fps) SpeedHQ files.

Do your edits with those new SpeedHQ converted files then render out "AVI - SpeedHQ Project Size" clips to load into the FLASH MEDIA ENCODER, the FME gives out much better flv's and while you edit in SpeedHQ your not loosing any quality from the originals!

Hope this helps, for my flash files for web the settings I use for best quality/most compatibility are:
    flv
    420kbs video
    24 fps
    96 kbs audio

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Thanks for the great info on FLV

Shawn,

Thanks for directly answering whether SpeedEdit 2 works with FLV files (or at least how to do it).

For this particular project my client was in a big rush so I used a converter (to avi), edited them and now converting them back to FLV.

And thanks to Shabazzy to confirm how it could be done.

Shawn, Why do you record with 24 fps and only 420 kbps. Most videos these days I used 600kbps and been thinking of going up to 700 kbps. So far no complains from my clients or their end users.

All the best, James

Post why my settings for flv's

I use 24 fps because I feel that pushing through less frames per second increases the individual still quality. The 427kbs probably could be upped a little bit, I've been using that figure for a few years and found it worked on slow dsl connections but those are dwindling, hope that helps.

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com