Thread: Speed Edit to iDVD, How do I ?

Newbie Member

Speed Edit to iDVD, How do I ?

How do I transfer or import speed edit into iMovie to continue editing and then to iDVD? I transferred the files off the external hard drive to iMac, but they don't open.
    Last edited by joejany; 06-14-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joejany View Post
    I transferred the files off the external hard drive to iMac, but they don't open.
    You're using Jobs's technology, and you wonder why you're having a hard time?

Knowing him, the reason you can't import your files, is because he doesn't them to hurt the precious "user experience" of the Mac platform.

As a Mac user, I'm surprised you haven't realised you have no freedom to do what you want. You MUST ONLY EVER abide by the law of Jobs or be cast out of the Sacred Walled Garden.

Good luck mate. (You'll need it)

Shabazzy

Shabazzy, It depends on your point of view

In my Opinion, "Newtek" is the propriatary walled garden.
    I have a mix of Apple and Newtek Equipment and at least Apple supports many open standards of video codecs.

I have wrestled with the NT25 NonStandard Avi files, Their version of Mpeg2 Pro that looks very jagged when imported into FCP and Have found that if you have the time, that the best way bring Newtek files over to the Mac is to export a plain Dv25 AVI and Import that into Quicktime or Final Cut.

Imovie uses DVStream format which is Video, Audio & Timecode, & Metadata in a single stream.

If can render the DV25 AVI out of Newtek Box, transfer the file to NTFS formated Firewire Drive, then plug it into the Mac.

Next open the file on the Mac with quicktime, export the file as "Movie to Dv Stream" and Viola! Open the resulting file in Imovie and Export out to IDVD.

DrVideo

Blog Entries
    Hi Dr Video,

I think I'm right in interpreting your post as addressing comments made by me and to the original query made by JoeJany. So I'm going to reply to the part that I think refers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DrVideo View Post
    In my Opinion, "Newtek" is the propriatary walled garden.
    I have a mix of Apple and Newtek Equipment and at least Apple supports many open standards of video codecs.

I have wrestled with the NT25 NonStandard Avi files, Their version of Mpeg2 Pro that looks very jagged when imported into FCP and Have found that if you have the time, that the best way bring Newtek files over to the Mac is to export a plain Dv25 AVI and Import that into Quicktime or Final Cut.
    You have to remember that Apple and NewTek are very different companies targeting very different markets.

Apple is an company that produces computers, consumer electronics and software technologies and therefore produce a much broader and far reaching consumer base. Because they have fingers in so many pies, their draconian approach to the advancement of all aspects of digital freedom, be it software development, hardware development, software development or creative development from third parties and individuals, reaches much further and is much more profound than video codecs.

NewTek on the other hand produce hardware and software for video professionals and 3D artists and therefore perform nowhere near the same scope of restrictions and harm as Apple.

And to be fair to NewTek, if you want to import different codecs and file formats into their technology, they are VERY accommodating. Given the difficulties you've stated using Apple tech with other third party tech, I would say that the same cannot be said of Apple technologies. Which just proves my point that Apple doesn't play well with others.

Do it their way or hit the highway.

All the best

Shabazzy

Neither one of you addressed the original question.

If you want to import into Imovie you need to import Quicktime files.

You can render your SE project to Quicktime or you can use a free standing program.

The question I have is why?

What start with one program and move to another? Why not just captue in the program you are going to edit with?
    Dynamic Video Productions
    Mount Laurel NJ

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joejany View Post
    How do I transfer or import speed edit into iMovie to continue editing and then to iDVD? I transferred the files off the external hard drive to iMac, but they don't open.
    Render and choose Quick Time and then DV 4:3 or 16:9. If you customize it, you can change the format to Apple Component YUV 422 which also works. MP4 works as well. Now as far as quality, the Apple Component YUV may be the highest but I really am not sure. iDVD will not load MPEG2 files that I know for sure. I also have never burned a DVD using but I have tested files for compatibility to make sure they load into it.

Render out some different formats and run some test using a DVD-RW disk. This way you can make test and report back to us which looks the best. I do know HD resolution clips using Apple Component YUV 422 look very good in iDVD but then again, I have never burned a disk to see final delivery.

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster