Thread: A few problems

Multimedia Magician

A few problems

I just set up my new SpeedEDIT 2.0 / VT5 system. It's very nice. Thanks to Steve, and everyone else who offered me feedback while putting it together.

I did, however, run into some problems that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I suspect some of these might be easy fixes, and perhaps something I'm just overlooking.

1. I need to digitize with VT5. I don't have a breakout box. During the digitizing process, I can not hear the audio, although I can see it on the level meter coming through the audio mixer. I am unable to assign a fader slot to "Y/C input" (which is where I'm digitizing from). The audio plays back fine once the digitizing is complete, but not through VT5. I have to load the clip into SpeedEDIT 2.0 to hear the audio after I place the clip on the timeline. Any idea on how I can hear the audio through VT5 (especially while digitizing)?

2. In SpeedEDIT, I bring in my clips that I've digitized. If I make any changes to it like size, 3D positioning, cropping, etc. the picture disappears completely. The only way to make the clip viewable again is to undo any changes I've made. I noticed that if I change the aspect ratio from "Auto" to something else, this problem does not occur. But it's kind of a pain in the butt to have to do that all the time. Any suggestions?

3. What do you recommend to render a high quality video to play back on another computer? I want to render out at 1920x1080, but every time I try, I get lousy pixelated quality, and generally at a 720 or 640 x 480 resolution. I've tried AVI, Quicktime, and even mp4. I'd appreciate any recommendations to get a high quality render so I can port to my Mac and playback using quicktime.

4. Slow mo. I have a clip I'm playing back at 50%. SpeedEDIT looks great playing back clips in slow motion. However, if I try to make the audio normal speed (100%), it also changes the video clip back to normal speed. Even if I unlock A/V and move the audio clip elsewhere on the timeline, if I change the speed of the audio, it will affect the video it used to be attached to.

5. Is there any way to make the SpeedEDIT output window not have that frame around it, and just fill the computer monitor all the way like you could with VT4?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but if anyone can help with any of these, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by travisr View Post
    1. During the digitizing process, I can not hear the audio, although I can see it on the level meter coming through the audio mixer.
    Unfortunately, that's the way digitizing over firewire is in SE - you can't hear the audio. I agree this is an undesirable, but just so you know, it's not a bug.

2. The only way to make the clip viewable again is to undo any changes I've made. I noticed that if I change the aspect ratio from "Auto" to something else, this problem does not occur.
    I've run into this in SE2. This IS a bug. I don't know if there's an easy way around it. I'm sure it will be fixed, but it never hurts to have another bug report.

3. What do you recommend to render a high quality video to play back on another computer?
    (leaving this one for someone with a mac to respond to ...)

4. Slow mo. I have a clip I'm playing back at 50%. SpeedEDIT looks great playing back clips in slow motion. However, if I try to make the audio normal speed (100%), it also changes the video clip back to normal speed.
    That seems like a bug, too, to me. I find you can work around it by bringing in a second copy of the original file - there are a couple ways to do this. Hold down Ctrl, and drag the audio from the clip straight down, to create a copy. Now click the original audio waveform, and press Del to remove it. Stretch the video clip. The copied audio is not affected. (Mind you, it will have a much shorter run-time than the stretched video clip. SE doesn't currently do audio re-sampling).
    5. Is there any way to make the SpeedEDIT output window not have that frame around it, and just fill the computer monitor all the way like you could with VT4?
    Double-click the Video Output window's frame, then right-click and set the zoom to something suitable (might be "100%" if you're running a monitor at 1920x1080).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Multimedia Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Unfortunately, that's the way digitizing over firewire is in SE - you can't hear the audio. I agree this is an undesirable, but just so you know, it's not a bug.
    I'm not digitizing in SE. I'm using the DDR in VT5. It works fine with the DDR on our VT4 system. Why wouldn't this method work with VT5?

Thanks for the feedback. I hope some of these bugs are fixed.

Multimedia Magician
    Also, I'm not digitizing over firewire. I'm using the VT5 card with Y/C input.

Also, I'm not digitizing over firewire. I'm using the VT5 card with Y/C input.
    Oh, sure it would. In that case, you ought to be able to hear the audio (via the VT card's audio outputs) ... assuming you've got the appropriate gain slider up on the audio mixer, of course.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Las Vegas Toaster
    ... and the audio patched into the Vt5 since the Y/C input is video only
    Brett Beanan

I have a Sony DSR-11 Mini DV deck that I use to digitize my SD footage through the BOB on my VT5 or via firewire on my laptop copy of SE 2.0. When I digitize via firewire, I simply plug a set of speakers into the audio out jacks of my DSR-11 and get as much audio as I need.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    dweinkauf,
    You mean ingesting the DV from the DSR-11 as it would already be digitized, right? Better to put analog video directly into the VT than going through the DSR-11 as you would loose some quality, even if sometimes unnoticeable. On the laptop using SE2, I could see that as a good alternative but not on the VT.

travisr,
    Pretty sure NewTek still may have had the VT as the systems audio card in VT[4] but that was so unreliable with Windows updates (I think that was the big issue) that it was taken away in VT[5]. That means whenever you want to hear audio out of your VT system, you need to use separate speakers connected to the VT audio out or connect your VT audio out to your systems audio card audio in. This may mean using the mobo's onboard audio. If the onboard audio does not have line in, then you would need to add an audio card to your system. Same goes for when you use SE2. If you enable the VT card as your video out, then all audio comes out of the VT card and you will not hear it.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

from Joseburgos....
    dweinkauf,
    You mean ingesting the DV from the DSR-11 as it would already be digitized, right? Better to put analog video directly into the VT than going through the DSR-11 as you would loose some quality, even if sometimes unnoticeable. On the laptop using SE2, I could see that as a good alternative but not on the VT.
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say I use the DSR-11 to transfer and capture my mini DV tape footage to my VT5 via the analog ports on the BOB.

I figured as much. I do like your use of the DSR-11 for digitizing video on a laptop with SE2 even if that is not what you did or did not mean to say
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

2. In SpeedEDIT, I bring in my clips that I've digitized. If I make any changes to it like size, 3D positioning, cropping, etc. the picture disappears completely. The only way to make the clip viewable again is to undo any changes I've made. I noticed that if I change the aspect ratio from "Auto" to something else, this problem does not occur. But it's kind of a pain in the butt to have to do that all the time. Any suggestions?

Just move the edit line, or arrow one frame and it should come back. Send to tape, is now in File Print to tape. Not the same as rt.clk. print to tape on a file in a filebin. If your project plays without a glitch on your laptop, just send to VT DDR so you can pick a codec instead of Type2. The FireWire DSR-11 will pass through Y/C, and on a miniDV I have used the headphone audio when it did not want to pass audio over FireWire. Sending output 1394 keeps your laptop drive from getting full with renders.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

3. What do you recommend to render a high quality video to play back on another computer? I want to render out at 1920x1080, but every time I try, I get lousy pixelated quality, and generally at a 720 or 640 x 480 resolution. I've tried AVI, Quicktime, and even mp4. I'd appreciate any recommendations to get a high quality render so I can port to my Mac and playback using quicktime.

4. Slow mo. I have a clip I'm playing back at 50%. SpeedEDIT looks great playing back clips in slow motion. However, if I try to make the audio normal speed (100%), it also changes the video clip back to normal speed. Even if I unlock A/V and move the audio clip elsewhere on the timeline, if I change the speed of the audio, it will affect the video it used to be attached to.
    3. If you get TMPGEnc Xpress 4, you can choose different formats like MPEG2 or H.264 for BD. NewTek HQ format is great and will work on a Windows machine as long as you install the NewTek codec pak. The MPEG2/H.264 HD files may not play unless the system has a software DVD/BD player that will play these files correctly (I think, at lease when I have tried it). Last is DivX (and also available within Xpress 4) which can produce very good quality video and they have free players for Windows and Mac as well as many game systems are certified to play them.

4. Instead of doing this in the Selected clip properties, use the control tree, layer setting, playback speed field. Now be prepared to whip out your calculator to totally take advantage of this feature but with it, you can not only do exactly what you are looking for as the audio does not track with control tree playback speed (which is something I wish had the option to). The biggest thing to wrap your noddle around is the clips size does not extend/stretch when you slow it down nor does it shrink/shorten when you speed it up. Instead it holds its original length.
    So as a simple example, just change the speed to 50% and you will see it plays back at 50% (select linear or hybrid to get a better slomo) from the start but the length of the clip does not change and the audio plays at 100% and again does not change in length. Now as an example, say the clip was 5 sec's in length. That means to play back the whole clip at 50%, you would need to change the clips length to 10 sec. in the mark out field of selected clip properties or drag the clip to 10 sec. If you want to speed up and then slow down (very cool for music video where the lip sync may be off and this allows you to compensate through out the clips duration using key frames). The hardest thing is SE only uses time code and not frames. This means you have to know your clips frames per sec and use a time calculator to edit the duration of the clip. Gets a little tricky but very powerful feature that many people do not take advantage of.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post

(leaving this one for someone with a mac to respond to ...)
    How 'bout an AJA Kai Pro, $4K USD external harddisk recorder w/Cardbus support?

...No, I don't own one. Just saw it touted in a TriCaster thread, that's all.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...0Pro%20Aja&N=0

Q1

Peter,
    He wants to "render" to a high quality file format that will play back on another computer. Not capture a high quality file format on another computer
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster