View Poll Results: What video and audio connectors do you use or think you will use in the next year ?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • [Video] Composite, SD

20 52.63%
  • [Video] Y/C, SD

11 28.95%
  • [Video] Component, SD

18 47.37%
  • [Video] Component, HD

20 52.63%
  • [Video] SD-SDI

21 55.26%
  • [Video] HD-SDI

26 68.42%
  • [Audio] 1/4" Line Inputs

16 42.11%
  • [Audio] Balanced XLR

35 92.11%
  • [Audio] AES/EBU Digital Audio

8 21.05%
  • [Audio] SDI Embedded Audio

20 52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriCaster opinions wanted

TriCaster opinions wanted

All,

As we look forwards to new products, I wanted to do a poll to understand what video and audio connections you use on your TriCaster. Please try to answer as honestly as possible and not succumb to the temptation just to click everything ...

Your opinions are always wanted, so feel free to post any additional information below.

Best regards,

Andrew Cross, Ph.D
    Executive VP, Video Engineering,
    NewTek, www.newtek.com
    Last edited by ACross; 06-11-2010 at 01:13 AM.

As we are moving to a completely HD workflow in the next couple of months, you can see what I clicked

I'd like to throw in "DVI/HDMI" just to annoy you, as most of my local output is Projectors and Plasma/TFT TV's.
    Last edited by Cabe; 06-11-2010 at 01:48 AM.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabe View Post
    I'd like to throw in "DVI/HDMI" just to annoy you, as most of my local output is Projectors and Plasma/TFT TV's.
    I 2nd that request. I'd even settle for just one of the inputs to have the DVI connector as an alternative. I would love that they all have the ability but I'd settle for one or one DVI and still have the three inputs available.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

3rd on HDMI request. I love Ivga, but using a laptop with HDMI out to a convertor can easily be converted to component video, or SDI video and now you have full frame video and a solution for powerpoints that contain audio. For our corp work, Ivga rules for presenters with wireless cards and a bunch of stills. They are evolving though, and I would love to do this easier with the TC, or new VT (if there is such a thing). If I could take in an HDMI source as a switcher input, then I would be most appreciative.

Please pardon my leaving it off the survey ... but I agree that HDMI/DVI output is pretty much essential so I kind-of assumed it was there. Note that TCXD850 now has a dedicated HDMI output.

Andrew

I don't think it's entirely clear whether some of these requests refer to hdmi output or are asking for hdmi support for input (a much more troublesome thing, for a number of reasons, I think).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I think that there are requests for both HDMI/DVI ins and outs, although the first request is clearly for output : "I'd like to throw in "DVI/HDMI" just to annoy you, as most of my local output is Projectors and Plasma/TFT TV's."

I certainly wouldn't complain if I could directly capture VGA/DVI/HDMI though.

Not to dampen enthusiasm, but just to mention one issue with HDMI input (output too, but arguably slightly less critical) - the connectors are very far from secure compared to BNC (and also VGA or DVI).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I prefer DVI because of that Steve but as you know, I am on the input side of the request
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Thankfully HDMI is just DVI with some extra embedded audio, so providing DVI could help alot of people, and molded adaptor cables are cheap and plentiful. I only mentioned HDMI as its a fairly ubiquitous connector on consumer grade equipment (like Cameras and TV's) so lowers the barrier to entry of thos that you wish to maintain a digital signal path that HD-SDI imposes.

There are locking HDMI cables by sadly they aren't the defacto standard on any equipment I can find yet.

Consultant
    I really like those combo 1/4"/XLR jacks. I think AMP or Neutrik makes them. They seem to be the ultimate convenience - options in the field and space saving on your device. Are there any drawbacks to using them? I was just thinking about them and can't come up with any outside of cost.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Quote Originally Posted by csandy View Post
    I really like those combo 1/4"/XLR jacks. I think AMP or Neutrik makes them. They seem to be the ultimate convenience - options in the field and space saving on your device. Are there any drawbacks to using them? I was just thinking about them and can't come up with any outside of cost.
    There are two down-sides :

1) You cannot put then that close together on a circuit board. This sounds like nothing, but when you are trying to get a bunch of connectors onto the front of a portable device it becomes a very big issue.

2) They are significantly more expensive than a regular XLR connector.
    Last edited by ACross; 06-12-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Consultant
    Thanks Dr. Cross. I knew about the cost issue, but didn't take into consideration the circuit board. Come to think of it, I think the ones I've installed had some kind of funky dual level circuit board behind it. They're great for the end user though.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Just curious, would there be any cost savings to having an audio break out panel that is tethered to the main chassis with a multicore cable? Probably not, but if it requires less pain and agony getting everything to fit on the circuit board, that cost savings might make alleviate the extra cost a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast