Thread: VOB to Mpg2 Question

Toasting Since 1992 GregGerlach's Avatar

VOB to Mpg2 Question

I needed to use some footage off a non-protected DVD and copied the VOB files onto my hard drive. The VOB files did not work in SE2 even when I changed the ext so I used Super C to convert them into Mpg2 files using Direct Stream Copy (not re-encoding). The resulting Mpg2 files play fine but when I try to butt the Mpg files together on the timeline, it is not seamless. There's a few frames of black at the ends/beginnings of the clips. And when I trim off those black frames, the two files don't match up... close but no cigar.

So how do you get these Mpg2 files to butt together seamlessly like the VOB files play from one to another when played on a DVD?

Don't use stream

So how do you get these Mpg2 files to butt together seamlessly like the VOB files play from one to another when played on a DVD

Redo in Super, but use .AVI. I only use Stream on WMV and had some problem I can't remember at the moment.

If the problem happens again, notify NT with a file. The VOB's I have no problems with are DVD's encoded with TMPG.

Your at SE2, correct? Do you have another PC you can install Klite codec pak? It has Gspot, or just search for Steve Greenfields Gspot. That utility will give you all the info it can on a VOB, avi, mpg ect.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

You can stick the vob's together by opening a command window (cmd.exe on Windows), then navigate to the directory with the vob's and type:

copy /B VTS_01_1.vob + VTS_01_2.vob + VTS_01_3.vob result.vob

In this example I've put 3 vob's together, you can add as many as you like.

I'm doing this all the time and the vob's are playing seamlessly.

Our pistol Pete Dravis, pointed to a fix for a dropped frame. Clone the last frame before black, and the first frame after black. Then see if it will look seamless. Audio may be the problem.

When converting in Super, I at times have adjusted the Video bitrate higher, and Audio at AC3. This is from MOST DVD's today are AC3 in burning apps. and why I don't make AC3 audio before burning.

After putting on the timeline, try a clone of audio and see if your not seeing all 4 chnl now bouncing by the radio buttons. I've got some time and will go downstairs to check for that project.

It may only work with SuperConverted MyDVD or NERO VOB's, I just know I've made this work in the past. Of course this would be just a way to apply audioFX to enhance with keying, talent or LW audio scene with keyframes of that section of audio levels.

FWIW.... this is also moot if you have 4 chnl audio Camera's or Decks, that provide 4chnl FWire transfers.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    You can stick the vob's together by opening a command window (cmd.exe on Windows), then navigate to the directory with the vob's and type:

copy /B VTS_01_1.vob + VTS_01_2.vob + VTS_01_3.vob result.vob

In this example I've put 3 vob's together, you can add as many as you like.

I'm doing this all the time and the vob's are playing seamlessly.
    That is quite interesting and something I will try. Nice tip Dee

Greg, you are approaching the task correctly by extracting the MPEG2 file non-destructively. Sorry I can't give any advise as I have never had to use the entire DVD and only a portion so I would not have run into your situation. Dee's suggestion would make for one large fluid VOB from which you would then extract the MPEG2 again, non-destructively and in theory, fix your present problem. In theory that is.

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Works great, thanks Dee.

May be obvious to others, but you first have to copy the original .vob files from the DVD to a hard drive or you'll get an "Access Denied" error since the DVD is finalized and the resulting combined file can't be saved there. Or can something be added before "result.vob" at the end of the command string to set a different path for the resulting file? I tried, but couldn't figure out the proper syntax, if there is one.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bates View Post
    Or can something be added before "result.vob" at the end of the command string to set a different path for the resulting file? I tried, but couldn't figure out the proper syntax, if there is one.
    Yes, if you want it on drive D you must type d:\result.vob.

Glad I could help.

That's exactly what I needed, Dee. After I created the combined VOB using your command, I just put it in the SE2 timeline and it played perfectly... the seams were flawless. Didn't even need to change the file extension or run it through Super C.

There's one thing I noticed when I tested all of this using an 80 minute DVD that was broken up into four VOB files. I copied all four files onto my hard drive but only the 1st VOB file played in SE2. I wanted to use video that bridged VOBs 3 & 4 so I tried using Dee's command to combine only 3 & 4. But that combined file did not play in SE2 and it locked up Super C. So I combined all 4 VOBs using Dee's command and it worked. It doesn't take very long for the command to create the combined file.

Quote Originally Posted by GregGerlach View Post
    There's one thing I noticed when I tested all of this using an 80 minute DVD that was broken up into four VOB files. I copied all four files onto my hard drive but only the 1st VOB file played in SE2. I wanted to use video that bridged VOBs 3 & 4 so I tried using Dee's command to combine only 3 & 4. But that combined file did not play in SE2 and it locked up Super C.
    I think this has something to do with the header info which is in the first vob only, since the vob's are just a mpeg file cut in pieces to fit the DVD file system. The copy command (/B means binary) sticks the files together.

There's no need to copy the files to a hard drive first. Say the DVD drive letter is E: and you want the resulting file to be put into D:\my_video the command would be:

copy /B e:\video_ts\vts_01_1.vob + e:\video_ts\vts_01_2.vob d:\my_video\bigfile.mpg

If the destination folder name contains spaces, you have to use quotes:

copy /B e:\video_ts\vts_01_1.vob + e:\video_ts\vts_01_2.vob "d:\my video\bigfile.mpg"

Hope this helps.

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Thanks Dee, I knew there had to be a way, just been too long since I've messed with command strings.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

copy /B e:\video_ts\vts_01_1.vob + e:\video_ts\vts_01_2.vob d:\my_video\bigfile.mpg

If the destination folder name contains spaces, you have to use quotes:

copy /B e:\video_ts\vts_01_1.vob + e:\video_ts\vts_01_2.vob "d:\my video\bigfile.mpg"
    Dee, I tried copying directly from a DVD and put the resulting .mpg file in the SE2 timeline but it only played for 30 seconds even though the file size was 3.2 gig. I noticed that your command copies to a .mpg file so I tried copying to a .vob (bigfile.vob) but got the same 30 second restriction.

So... I took the copied bigfile.vob and ran it through Super C using Direct Stream Copy to create an mpg file and the resulting bigfile.mpg now plays in its entirety.

It looks like my workflow would be:
    1. Copy directly from DVD to .vob on hard drive using your command
    2. Convert to Mpg2 using Super C