Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW crashes every time I quit

LW crashes every time I quit

Odd problem, anyone experience this? Every time I quit/exit LW Modeler or Layout, I get a "LW unexpectedly Quit" error window popping up.

Newtek support had me delete all LW config files and set my User Accounts Controls all the way down to minimum... didn't help any.

It's a dual 3.3ghz quad-core, 64-bit system running on Win7 with 24GB Ram, and nothing else installed except MS Office (new machine).

which version of LW?
    maybe it's graphic card drivers?
    http://walen.se my plugins

Version 9.6

make sure to have auto scan plugins in general options turned off in both layout and modeler. had problem with that one time..
    http://walen.se my plugins

Just tried that... no luck :-(

This happens to me everytime I clear my LWEXT.cfg file, after LW autoscans plugins, quiting causes this crash after quit.

Tried with autoscan turned off and manually scanned my plugins, same thing happens.

Once the LWEXT.cfg file is present it no longer occurs.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Not sure I follow...

I don'thave a LWEXT.cfg file but I have a LWEXT9-64.cfg file?

It was crashing on exit, so I deleted ALL cfg files and restarted LW. Of course it remade all new cfg files immediately. I tried turning off autoscan and it didn't make any difference when I quit. :-(

I and other artists at work have the same issue with LW9.6 x64.

LW9.6 x32 does not behave like this.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks Cage... that helps to know that. :-)

For me it goes in spurts. I might go weeks with crashing on exit, but here lately no issues. This has been a long standing issue with LW dating as far back as version 7.5 I just have learned to deal with it. That being said, 9.6 has been extremely reliable otherwise.

Really? I've been running LW 7-8.3 for years on a 32-bit machine and never had this problem once. Actually, I can't recall more than a couple crashes in LW over the last 6 years. This new 64bit machine with 9.6 has been very problematic for me already in just a couple weeks.

In addition to the "crash on exit" problem, it has certain functions that were actually faster on my old 32bit dinosaur. Some of these issues even consistently cause crashes. It "appears" that these other issues may be related to conflicts with the ATI graphics cards though... I'm trying to get Dell to swap me for nVidia cards to see if that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by rcneo View Post
    I don'thave a LWEXT.cfg file but I have a LWEXT9-64.cfg file?
    I just abbreviated it as the LWEXT*.cfg file could have various numbers depending on the version.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

We are using NVidia at work. It doesn't seem to be related to graphicscards.

However, I do have an idea of what could be related though...

Anytime I have a huge memory intense scene in LW9.6 x64, L-scripts that are using UIs refuses to run with some weird error messages as a result. Talking to a bunch of other artists from this forum, it seems to be a bug in LW9.6 that makes L-Script unreliable in heavy scenes.

LW9.6.1 does not show any errors at all and the scripts seem to be working just fine. I have to assume that NT have fixed a bug related to L-Script and memory. I wonder if the crash on exit thing might be related?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Have you tried setting compatibility mode to winxp?

Quote Originally Posted by rcneo View Post
    Really? I've been running LW 7-8.3 for years on a 32-bit machine and never had this problem once. Actually, I can't recall more than a couple crashes in LW over the last 6 years. This new 64bit machine with 9.6 has been very problematic for me already in just a couple weeks.
    Yep. Can't recal more than a couple of crashes over the last 6 years? Really I wouldn't say LW is a crash fest by any means, but I've certainly had more than a couple of crashes over the last 12 years! But then again thats using it 8-10hrs a day 5-6 days a week. Crashing on exit is old hat and something I've just learned to deal with, as is saving just prior to using Rounder. LW9.6 by all accounts is pretty solid in the crash department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast