Thread: Building codes and design standards

Building codes and design standards

Hello to everybody. I had a question that perhaps some of you may have an answer for. I have been getting into arch viz lately and am having a lot of fun with it. For now, it's just for the portfolio, but hopefully I can make a go of it soon. The question I had is, does anyone know of a resource, be it paid or free, book or online, that has all the dimensions of stuff like the standard height of a shower head, height of a door, how high up a wall the windows are, stuff like that. I have been googling all morning and can find each piece eventually, like the top of a average door is 6'8", shower head at 6'6". But there has got to be a better way. I've been spending all morning on this and inputting it into an office file. I saw a book that a coworker had had years ago and it pretty much had a lot of the stuff that I'm talking about but he couldn't remember where he got it and I can't remember the name and I also don't work with him anymore. So I know something of this nature exists, I just can't figure out the right words to put into google. Thanks in advance for any help as always.

Sorry, i have no idea.. I usaually google as well or use a good o'l measuringstick.
    After a while standard dimensions stick to your head.

Need i say more ?
    Yes, soon we'll have core!
    L8est reel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NnXaP121WQ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metric-Handb.../dp/0750608994

It's metric, but honestly, that's really what people should be using. Imperial measurements are just daft.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Thanks Captain Obvious. That looks like a really handy resource to have.

Megalodon is right, typically the client supplies you with construction documents which, if not entirely dimensioned - will be to scale. So it usually isn't an issue. But, if you find that you still need a source for such info try to get your hands on a book titled Architectural Graphic Standards. Great resource for anyone in the building/arch. design field. I think you can access this info online as well.
    http://www.wiley.com/legacy/techsupp...4541X/faq.html

I tend to find you're never provided with everything-even by the best clients. Shower heights etc are stuff I just know from experience but they're usually not on drawings unless you get a very thorough set.

Sometimes they are standard CAD pulldowns as well which are old fashioned or completely different from the spec sheets.

I had the AJ Metric Handbook at the side of my desk for years.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Quote Originally Posted by 7gdi View Post
    Megalodon is right, typically the client supplies you with construction documents which, if not entirely dimensioned - will be to scale. So it usually isn't an issue. But, if you find that you still need a source for such info try to get your hands on a book titled Architectural Graphic Standards. Great resource for anyone in the building/arch. design field. I think you can access this info online as well.
    http://www.wiley.com/legacy/techsupp...4541X/faq.html

I got an Architectural Graphic Standards book at college, decades ago. Its useful for some things I suppose. I dont use it anymore.

I'm shocked that they want $99 per year to view it online and you cant even see a contents list unless you register. Oh wait I found this:

"We thank you for your past patronage as a subscriber to GraphicStandards.com. As of January 1, 2007 the online database you tried to access is no longer available."

So they do sell a CD now, not an online service.
    CD $375
    Hardcover book $250

I have a series of Architecture design books from Macgraw hill, Time saver standards, series. The ones i have are:

Architectural design data. materials and construction, solar considerations, etc.

Interior design and space. ergonomics and usability, function.

Landscape architecture. for layout and design of the landscape.

Urban design. for designing in an urban environment from food stands to public spaces.

All are good and in depth, the one you would probably be interested in is Time saver standards for Interior design and spaces.

Ron

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I as of yet do not have any clients. This is just for my own portfolio and for the few family members that I have done some work for for nothing. So as of yet, I have not been given any blueprints. But, with what all of you have said so far, I think that this will be more than adequate. Like I said, I could google most things and find it, but it was tedious. So, thanks to everyone.