Thread: Speedeitd 2 Bins & Timelines

Speedeitd 2 Bins & Timelines

Hi I have been searching through all the docs I can find and I am unable to locate an answer to the following questions in SpeedEdit 2.
    When you open a project how many Time-Lines and Bins can you have within a project?

Many thanks

Depends on what your reference to Bins are. You can zoom in to see MANY LAYERs, to add as much as your system will play, using ForceRender in Video Effects or Prefs setting of Back Ground render. So say you have a 30second spot of video, you can layer in as many AnimCG/logo flyin flyoff, use ControlTree keyframes. When you have an animation keyframe setting, you open Tool Shed, top +, then user presets. Say NEW and give the FX a name. Now pull out another text layer the same length. Highlight and select your namedFX. Click Perform and your settings will be applied. Move it down the timeline/where you want it. Lots of layers are part of a production, where it depends 100% on what the client wants. So for AnimTextLayers, don't forget to open Clip Properties and select reverse after cloning. Now you get the opposite FX, or a 2fer one. Just keep experimenting, and ASK THOSE QUESTIONS. Everyone has certain expertise, and it is the Cause and Effect work with experimenting that you may want to write down your steps while seeking all the SE features. Your sure to do something and go wow, that's cool, but need to know how you did it. Chroma/Luma is great for a layer of FX, with the top main clip. Don't forget, you put the mouse near the line of a layers I/O, and see Fd pop up. If you did not know, that is Fade, and you can see by dragging it is TC,timecoded. When you put the mouse at the end of a clip, it will say Out. Now hold Alt. and move the mouse to the end of any clip and it will say Stretch.

Don't get overwhelmed, just.....

HaveFun....of course with text, you turn Overlay on
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Las Vegas Toaster
    and there are no "bins" in SpeedEdit... you just navigate to where ever the file is stored on your computer and that location would be your "bin".

and techinically speaking as Kilo said there are "unlimited" timelines... or "layers" as it has more to do with what your system can handle.
    Brett Beanan

Thanks very much for your explanation. Let me clarify my workflow in the past with FCP and M100, I would edit a project in segment’s and each segment has it's own timeline and bin that holds the media for that segment. All the segments are then copied into a new master time-line for play out or mastering. I found that in my long form work that this makes it a lot more manageable in making changes to segment’s and locating the media. The reason that I work with segments is that my clients often require copies of only a particular segment with some modifications to them. This makes it easy to do without having to move media on a three hour time-line.
    Speededit 2 came with my purchase of the TCDX300. When load the program I must say that at first sight I thought this is not a serious editing system. From such a simple interface I was very surprised at what power that is hidden away in this program. I am so impressed that as soon as I can get my head around this different architecture and terminology that I will be giving Final Cut Pro away.
    Last edited by Paul Lara; 06-02-2010 at 11:16 AM.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Use the subprojects feature to do what you are trying to do. You can also work on each section as a standalone project and then at the end just add all the projects into a master timeline. Saved Projects load into timelines just like a clip.

Welcome to the dark side
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thanks Jeff that's just what I wanted to know.
    Cheers

Bin = SubProject, that would make sense. But once you make a SubProject, you may be making for a Templete to your productions, check the playback. If it has issues, rt.clk. and Expand it again. Lasso, rt.clk. and render select to an HQ project or uncompressed. When you have many layers of Overlay material, .tga's, logo's ect... you can lasso and do the same, render select. But.... you must delete the video layer, as it will be rendered. Once your many layers are done,undo, to bring back the video layer, delete your lasso'd layers and replace with the render select file. Make it a SupProject again. SE2.x has several SubProject improvements, so you might test how well your Lasso layers render, to see if the video layer gets rendered, like in SE1.x. At least you have moved from FCP instead of iMovie! LOL

If your using SE on a LapTop, then you will be comfortable with the Send/print to tape, like many FCP users have done. The File > dropdown menu Print to Tape, will take a project that plays and Send it to tape. The rt.clk. a Rendered File Print to tape is just a transfer. IOW, you don't need to render a prjt. to Send to tape, as long as the project plays glitch free from the timeline. As you know this helps with LapTop drive space.

BestWishes... the only wrong question is the one never asked
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Thanks KiloWatkins you have really given me some great information it will certainly help.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digiview View Post
    Speededit 2 came with my purchase of the TCDX300. When load the program I must say that at first sight I thought this is not a serious editing system. From such a simple interface I was very surprised at what power that is hidden away in this program. I am so impressed that as soon as I can get my head around this different architecture and terminology that I will be giving Final Cut Pro away.
    terminology that I will be giving Final Cut Pro away.
    Terminology is different in most of SE from "traditional" NLE. Like Bret said, there are no bins. What this exactly means is a clip/image/title/etc. can be loaded from a media window. What is loaded onto the time line is a reference to the original. It is a great feature but what you loose is the "bin" organization inherit to the bin system. So try and forget about bins when you work in SE2 but this means you need to pay attention to where you store your clips. This is usually not a problem if you ingest or transfer your clips into a tape/shoot folder name. Just now you don't have to move it from this folder and load the clips right from it.
    Another thing to note is SE2 wants to always play real time at full resolution. This again is not like "traditional" NLE which use a lower res or proxy type playback. This is where background rendering is some times activated and needed to play back the time line. The benefit is WYSIWYG in the real time playback and no preview rendering or such is needed.
    Since you have an XD300, I assume some or most clips will come from the XD capture which plays back great in SE2. Clips that are of the AVC flavor seem to be the worst and require a conversion to the NewTek HQ format for best editing results/flow.
    As already advised by users here, a sub-project will allow you to piece together multiple projects. By this I mean you can work in a section of the project as you have in the past to keep your work flow the same. Then save the project. Now when you are ready to work on the master project, you just need to load the single projects one at a time into the master. SE2 will automatically add them as sub-projects. As sub-projects, all you need do is right click and drill down into the sub-project but beware any edits will now only be in the master sub-project and not to the single project that the sub-project was derived from. I mention this only as a note towards your present work flow with other NLE. Not sure if your old work flow will still be needed but again just mentioning the differences as how they "may" impact your saved projects.
    Print to tape seems to work great with Sony but it is hit or miss for me with JVC so note that as well when you do any print to tape. I would NOT recommend print to tape from the time line or unrendered. This will incur dropped frames on a robust project, as you have described yours so stay away from it and just use rendered projects. I have found even small projects drop frames when print to tape was done from the time line.
    SE2 also does not have a "traditional" trim bay and instead it has a Selected Clip Properties which is similar. Since I was never formally taught on a trim bay work flow, I often just make my in and out points right on the time line with ripple enabled. That said if you have been using a trim bay, then Selected Clip Properties is the basic same thing for you.
    Transferring of projects to another system is also a lot easier in SE2 since it has a Spreadsheet built-in. This allows you to point missing files to there proper location which can happen when say you purchase a 2nd seat of SE2 on a desktop/laptop and load up the project. The drive letters may not match and a quick correction to file location in the spreadsheet will fix this.
    A lot more to cover but I'll close with the Tool Shed. This will allow you to use pre done presets as well as create your own presets. This comes in handy on certain things you may do on all your projects of a similar style. The manual does a good job covering it but spend some time learning it and experimenting with it as it will speed up repetitive task. This can sometimes be just in a new project like all the clips are off color balance by the same factor. You just need to color correct one clip and then make a preset and then select all the clips and preform then on all with just one click of the mouse. Then whenever you want, you can delete the preset.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Hello Jose,
    Thank you very much for the detailed work flow advise. With my purchase of the Tricaster and editing on Mac with FCP it soon became very apparent that I was going to have compatibility issues. Along with editing on the Mac I also had to overcome problems with cross platform delivery of files Fat32 vs NTFS and drives etc. After spending the last month trying to find workable solutions to importing files into the Tricaster I decided it was time to look at other editing options for live events. The conversion of files was not an option due to the time factor involved and I need to find a better system where files could be imported natively into the Tricaster. I have tried FCP, Avid Media Composer, EDIUS and now SpeedEdit 2. I record using Sony EX3 camera’s at my live events and I found that when I extracted the Mpg4 files they just dropped straight into the DDR and SpeedEdit 2 for playback and editing. That’s when I started to look further into SpeedEdit 2. I conducted a quick test on the SpeedEdit 2 and I was amazed at the number of clips which I could stack on top of each other on the time-line with 50 percent opacity and still playback and carry on editing without having to stop for long renders. (That just blew me away) That’s why I am now looking deeper into the package and from the information supplied in this thread it looks like I can retain my workflow with multiple time-lines and segement editing.
    The only thing that I am disappointed in is that I would love to continue to record to our NanoFlash recorder on our camera’s. The Nanoflash recorder gives very high quality 100Mbps vision but the Tricaster and Speededit 2 are not compatible so at live events I have had to revert back to 35Mbps Sony HD EX clips.
    Many thanks to all for you help.

The only thing that I am disappointed in is that I would love to continue to record to our NanoFlash recorder on our camera’s. The Nanoflash recorder gives very high quality 100Mbps vision but the Tricaster and Speededit 2 are not compatible so at live events I have had to revert back to 35Mbps Sony HD EX clips.
    Many thanks to all for you help.
    The NanoFlash uses or at least claims to use the exact same hardware as a high end Sony camera to produce XDCAM files as high as 280 Mbps (very cool) so I would advise you to contact NewTek support and ask for John Perkins. Supply him with a test file as well as ask him what is the ideal file setting to capture too (Long GOP or i-Frame) MPEG2.

I would also like you to humor me and try something. Inside of SE2's media file window, right click on a test file captured from the NanoFlash and change it's extension to .avi. Then drag the renamed file into the time line and see if it plays. SE2 has a not documented ability to sometimes decode using it's internal video decoder and it works on .mov file sometimes.

PS I have no knowledge of this working on anything other than .mov files but I just renamed a .m2t file to .avi and SE2 still loaded the file so it is worth a try.

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Hi Jose,
    The NanoFlash files do import and playback on the SE2 time-line but the audio has dropouts in it. I have tried your suggestions and renamed the file using .mov,.avi,.mxf,m2t,.mp4 but I still face the problem with it. I believe the problem is it is that NanoFlash files are recorded as uncompressed 24-bit audio and the Tricaster requires compressed audio. I would be great if the Tricaster could handle uncompressed audio. Dan Keaton from Covergant Designs the makers of the NanoFlash wrote :-
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...r-tcxd300.html
    “It appears that we will need to coordinate with NewTek to determine if their is a way for you to import our files into their system.

From the above information, it is not clear how they store the audio, either uncompressed 24-bit, 48K or compressed in some format, as is used in HDV and other formats. Based on your information, it appears that they record the audio in a compressed format.

While MXF is a standard, the exact placement of individual fields of data is not standardized. Thus, we can produce a perfectly legal MXF file, and so may NewTek, but the files may not be readable by the other system.

It’s really a shame that the audio is the only thing stopping the use of the NanoFlash Files, if you place a clip on the time-line you can edit straight away no conforming, so close and yet so far. The Tricaster in combination with the NanoFlash produces Kick *** high quality vision and the two really do compliment each other for high end work. I now just use the Nanoflash as feeder or DDR and as a recorder on the PGM output for finishing work in FCP until I come much up to speed with SE2. The next thing I need to look at is multicam editing in SE2 is there a plug in available to set the system up?

Many thanks

Dan,
    If the problem is only 24 bit audio, then you should find a way to contact John Perkins.
    [email protected]
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Hi Jose,
    The NanoFlash files do import and playback on the SE2 time-line but the audio has dropouts in it. I have tried your suggestions and renamed the file using .mov,.avi,.mxf,m2t,.mp4 but I still face the problem with it. I believe the problem is it is that NanoFlash files are recorded as uncompressed 24-bit audio and the Tricaster requires compressed audio. I would be great if the Tricaster could handle uncompressed audio. Dan Keaton from Covergant Designs the makers of the NanoFlash wrote :-
    http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...r-tcxd300.html
    “It appears that we will need to coordinate with NewTek to determine if their is a way for you to import our files into their system.

From the above information, it is not clear how they store the audio, either uncompressed 24-bit, 48K or compressed in some format, as is used in HDV and other formats. Based on your information, it appears that they record the audio in a compressed format.

While MXF is a standard, the exact placement of individual fields of data is not standardized. Thus, we can produce a perfectly legal MXF file, and so may NewTek, but the files may not be readable by the other system.

It’s really a shame that the audio is the only thing stopping the use of the NanoFlash Files, if you place a clip on the time-line you can edit straight away no conforming, so close and yet so far. The Tricaster in combination with the NanoFlash produces Kick *** high quality vision and the two really do compliment each other for high end work. I now just use the Nanoflash as feeder or DDR and as a recorder on the PGM output for finishing work in FCP until I come much up to speed with SE2. The next thing I need to look at is multicam editing in SE2 is there a plug in available to set the system up?

Many thanks

Have you tried dropping the Nano clip on the timeline and then right clicking the audio track and rendering the audio track out? could be possible that might work. All the varieties of MPEG video and audio are quite a bit to deal with. I will make sure John knows about this too since I have a couple proposals out that will make use of the NanoFlash product.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Hi Jef,
    Thank god you know your way around SE2 as a Newbie it's going to take a while for me to get accustomed to SE2. I have tried the various audio render options to no avail. I did note that in the audio render options that 24 bit audio is not listed as an option. This being so can one conclude that the Tricaster and SE2 can not covert the 24bit audio. In a recent firmware upgrade to the NanoFlash was enabled to embed 8 tracks of 24 bit audio into the SDI stream if this has any thing to do with it. The only other method that I know how to convert the file is to use MPEG Streamclip and render out the file as MP4 which is so painfully slow and drop in quality that it's not an option to consider. If you have any other idea’s let me know I will certainly try them out and let you know.

Many thanks regards
    Lance