View Poll Results: Have you ever used render commercial farm before?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am using it regularly.

2 6.06%
  • I used it once or twice.

10 30.30%
  • I would use it if but its too expansive.

6 18.18%
  • I have no need to use it.

10 30.30%
  • Fuddle duddle!

5 15.15%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: best renderfarm

significant render power....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gfarm.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	92023  
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

haha, great!

some photos taken during the re-assembly (that took few hours ):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3459.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	92025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3473.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	92026  
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by QuakeMarine1 View Post
    there are many farms outhere - it must have a reason the prices are more less stabil for years now - i am sure you will notice aswell once you have some more PC
    Just quick update on the topic, Rebus is running summer special discount - 75% off!!!

Still, GarageFarm is much cheaper , but I just wanted to quote their statement that I will realise that I will have to rise my prices when we will buy more servers (what we actually did few weeks ago).
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

Hi,

With New Year we are dropping the prices from at least 25% all way up (or shall I rather write down) to 63%.

The price for 1 Ghz can be as low as $0.0075, crazy, isn't it?*

And, still support is 100% free!

* - Keep in mind that when charging I count real Ghz not equivalent of Pentium 1Ghz as other farms (it would be $0.0045), that can save you 1000s+++ on big projects and hundreds on smaller ones.

Happy New Year to all!
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

Lightwave suggestion

We use our own farm. But if we needed/wanted a farm it would need to have the following.

1. Great pricing. Sounds like you have that.
    2. Plugin support. Maybe not licenses versions, but would be helpful. We use at least one plugin in our exterior scenes that is a MUST. May not be in 11, we'll see.
    3. Easy way to get running and render test frames (one per machine that will render)

LW community would benefit from plugin for bucket style rendering, distributed over multiple machines. Trouble is having the overhead of a SCENE put on the other machines. Our scenes can be 1-2GB each in many cases. But if the CALCULATION alone was sent for rendering we might have something. Then your looking at the overhead of TCPIP and how that would work.

Just some thoughts. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the suggestions.

2. We have quite a collection of plug-ins already, LightWave plug-ins are not licensed per node and that makes them easier to buy and install here.

Regarding bucket rendering, I do not think it will be possible over the internet any time soon, the amount of data that need to be send can slow down even 1Gb network.

Regarding big scene files, 1GB sounds like a lot, but it is just a bit over the hour of uploading - if you capable of 2Mb upload - and that without compression. Even if your upload speed is only 512Kb you can start sending your images folder few hours (or night) before you will think you will be ready to render final version. Objects compress very well and scenes are never very big. We will have our own upload tool in few weeks to make things even easier.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

typo on garage farm front page

Just looked at website and noticed on the sticky note that "length" is misspelled. just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Something else that would be useful is a pre-flight script (similar to the one in InDesign that checks your document for printing) but checks your scene for potential errors when rendering.
    I know I'm replying to an old post but at work we've had an in-house plug-in for years that does this and by now I'm sure it's saved us thousands of hours that might have been wasted because of incorrect res settings, inadequate AA, LR unintentionally enabled, etc. Our system checks a scene against render settings defined by the project's lead artist and flags the differences. A user isn't required to follow the definitions but the pop-up forces the artist to check his settings against the definitions before submitting a scene. In short, yes, this is a fantastic feature to have, and it would be cool if LW had this feature natively.

As for commercial render farms, I came close to using one for a personal project a few months ago. Instead I wound up cutting a few quality corners to meet my deadline. That said, I would still consider using a service in the future, especially if it was for a contract job with a short schedule.

G.

For everyone that got Rebus newsletter.

It is a bit sad, that - only because they are big - they can claim having the best price in Render Farm industry even if my farm is up to six (or even more on large contracts) times cheaper.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

your "farm" just use 13 pc - comparing to our 500x12core cluster you need ~40 times longer to finish a job
    in otherwords
    a 3000 frame job of 10min a frame need 2300 minutes ~38 hour
    Rebus need for te same just 1 hour - let it be 2 hour

beside that is our system fully automated and accessable 24/7
    can I send a job to your farm at 4am your time and start render immidently ? at Rebus you can do it - no need to wait for an operator

price is not everything my friend

Rebus is pretty cool too.

Soth - hope you are well sir .. looking for an excuse to finally use and abuse your farm early this year!
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

With GarageFarm you will always get honest and helpful guy that will do his best to get your scene rendered within budget and deadline, including setting up Rebus farm software on your computer if needed as it is not always smooth ride; and all support is and will be free, the only thing I will charge for is rendering time on our computers.

We are 33 times smaller indeed (not 40) but it always comes to time versus money.

As long as rules are clear and no one is deceiving customers they can make educated choice. And farm that can render your animation on yesterday is useless if you cannot afford it or you need some help with your scenes to start rendering at first place.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234