Thread: Digitizing for SpeedEdit

Multimedia Magician

Digitizing for SpeedEdit

As a long time NewTek product user, I'm very interested in putting together a SpeedEdit system. I have a few questions, hopefully someone on here can help me with.

Some of the source footage we'll be working with is on BetcamSP, and even SVHS. Do I need a breakout box to handle quality video digitizing from these sources? What would work best?

Does it work with Bobs MultiCam? I use the editor on VT4, and love Bob's Multicam.

On the VT4 we can digitize using the NT25 codec. It provides terrific quality and great file size reduction. Does SpeedEdit use this codec? If not, does it use something comparable?

I'm anxious to put one of these systems together immediately. Any help would be appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

There are two situations that you can use SpeedEdit in.

1. As a standalone editor.
    2. In conjunction with VideoToaster.

I'm going to assume you'll be using it in the first scenario.

With this in mind, you'll be using analogue technology (tape in this case) which needs to be imported into SpeedEdit.

SpeedEdit's default method of getting footage is via media cards, firewire or some other digital media. So that means you'll have to get a device to convert your analogue footage into a digital form.

Here are two sources:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
    This BlackMagic product comes in two flavours.
    One version for a regular tower cased PC only, and one version for both laptops & regular tower cased PCs.

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/professional
    This link will take your Grass Valley's professional products page. Look for the "Video Conversion Hardware" section and check out the ADVC110 and ADVC300.
    These products can be useful primarily because they allow you to use their hardware with whatever video editing software you choose. You don't have to use the one's they make.

But bear in mind these products only support SD footage and your video editor needs to be able to perform video capturing. Luckily, SE does.

Again, these products can be used with laptops/regular tower cased PCs.

Bob's Multicam
    As far as I know, Bob's Multicam only works with SpeedEdit v1.x.

NT25 codec
    The NT25 codec is still supported with SpeedEdit v2 and v1, but is an old codec that has been replaced with the fantastic SpeedHQ codec. This codec gives superb results when performing conversions or capturing.

I you are going to use SpeedEdit with a VideoToaster setup, then you don't really need the Black Magic or Grass Valley products.

Hope this helps.

Shabazzy

Multimedia Magician
    Thank you for the links. That is a huge help. Which of the product do you think produces the best quality.

I have a VT4, and the digitizing quality is excellent. The SpeedEdit system I am building will be a separate system, but I want to be able to digitize as well as the VT4 can. I don't want a prosumer quality here. So, if you have any further suggestions on quality comparison, I'd love to hear them. Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travisr View Post
    Thank you for the links. That is a huge help. Which of the product do you think produces the best quality.

I have a VT4, and the digitizing quality is excellent. The SpeedEdit system I am building will be a separate system, but I want to be able to digitize as well as the VT4 can. I don't want a prosumer quality here. So, if you have any further suggestions on quality comparison, I'd love to hear them. Thanks so much!
    Hmm. Interesting question.

Personally I feel that the issue of quality is a very relative and personal thing. One person will think image quality is poor while another will think it's not. Relative.

However, the technology nowadays for devices like these are so good when it comes to digitizing, that there's not much difference between them.

The real issue is when it comes to compressing the data using a particular codec. This will be where SpeedEdit comes in, and generally speaking SpeedEdit does a fantastic job. But it all really depends on the quality of the original footage. If your equipment isn't well looked after (i.e, dirty recording heads, dirty lenses, cheap, dodgy tapes) then it will be a case of garbage in, garbage out.

The choice between the two devices from Black Magic and Grass Valley really boils down to price, as they both perform exceptionally well.

Most of the guys here are Black Magic devotees and swear by it. So that's a consideration.

Hope this helps

Shabazzy

Quote Originally Posted by travisr View Post
    I have a VT4, and the digitizing quality is excellent. The SpeedEdit system I am building will be a separate system, but I want to be able to digitize as well as the VT4 can.
    As your needs in this respect appear to continue to be primarily SD, why not just pick up another VT card (used)?

It might not cost you any more than another solution arguably offering less quality and flexibility. You see them advertised here from time to time. (Heck, I've got a surplus 33mHz VT card with VT[5] software myself if you're interested - just PM me).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Toaster Oven
    yeah, send me a PM and I can sell you one