Thread: Clip playback problems help!

Clip playback problems help!

Okay I have a 6gig m2t clip that will not function correctly in SpeedEDIT. The audio won't play and the video flashes a frozen frame from the video.

However I pull this clip into powerDVD and play it back it plays absolutely fine! I need this clip and recapturing it is impossible because the camera was a rental, I use Sony Ex1 and this was recorded on a Canon Ah1.

What can I do I'm desperate to get this clip working!

And has anyone been experience cli9p corruption like this. This is like the 10th clip I've had go bad and not work with SpeedEDit that has been in storage. I'm worried about this since I've switched to the EX1 and there is no tape to go back to if a clip corrupts or won't work any more. Yes there were multiple copies of this clip stored on 3 different drives and they all do the same thing so the clip corrupted right out of the camera. The same happened with the other clips.
    Brian Peterson
    River City Productions

Your issue can be fixed, but you could have helped with SE??, OS??, PC??. You will find alot more help, but I'll give you my best tips. Open another SE and make it a HD720p or HDV720p project. Now select all in YOUR open SE, and copy and paste to the new project. Use control tree and tool shed to make it fit the output monitor. Keep that as small as possible, double click in the window to see it full screen. If the stuck frame happens, you may need to power off the system, remove AC, hold the pwr.button 5sec. and plug in and power up again, to remove all doubt the video card has a stuck buffer.

HTHelps, but zooming in to single frame or 1 second view, may also let you see what is going on with a flashing field. That is why I only use Progressive projects, so I know when I cut, I'm not cutting a field.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

It's not a stuck buffer and I've done everything you've suggested and went so far as to try and render the clip out as a DV type 2 file. It appears the clip is corrupt, but being able to play it back in DVD player software tells me it's not.

I have both SE1 & 2, same problem.
    Xp Pro.
    Quad core I7 chip.
    Brian Peterson
    River City Productions

Nuts, this sucks. Have you tried the "Convert to SpeedHQ" feature?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Compression S__ks

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    That would be a good thing to do, convert from a filebin to HQ. We are in a war of codec's again. I'm not sure if it is PowerDVD or some other that Blaine posted months back to not install on a system. I do use www.erightsoft.net to convert if something will not convert in SE or VTSE. Feel free to send me your phone number and I will call to help you install SuperConverter Brian. [email protected] Don't fret, it is just some codec clashing since it does play in your DVD program, knowing you don't have any way to recapture.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    If that does not work and I think it will, you could try an external conversion program. Adobe Media Encoder works great as well as TMPGEnc Xpress 4 but if you don't own them, then test this software;
    http://www.emicsoft.com/m2ts-converter.html
    It has a free trial and is very inexpensive if you end up purchasing it.

PS I don't use this program

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peterson View Post
    I'm worried about this since I've switched to the EX1 and there is no tape to go back to if a clip corrupts or won't work any more. Yes there were multiple copies of this clip stored on 3 different drives and they all do the same thing so the clip corrupted right out of the camera. The same happened with the other clips.
    If I'm reading this correctly, it seems the clips worked originally, but fails after being backed up to an external device. This seems to suggest some sort of file copy/transfer issue more than anything. What sort of backup arrangements are you trying?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Ok, I've run in to the same problem. I have a m2t video that when I put the cursor over the thumb nail icon it plays fine in the file bin. But when I put it in a VT5 project the video only flashes. Additionally it plays great in my other player software (3 different ones). I can't convert it in any of the suggested programs mentioned so far in the forum. They won't recognize it to convert it. I am using DTE by focus and have never had this problem before using VT5. Guess, I've learned a lesson and will need to continue with a tape back up in the future. I'm using Windows XP pro with a Gateway FX computer, 4 gigs of ram. All other M2T clips play fine. Nvidia 7600 GS video card. It just blows my mind the VT5 will play it as a thumb nail but stalls in the SE edit project.
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

VT desktop

Quote Originally Posted by VisionTecVideo View Post
    Ok, I've run in to the same problem. I have a m2t video that when I put the cursor over the thumb nail icon it plays fine in the file bin. But when I put it in a VT5 project the video only flashes. Additionally it plays great in my other player software (3 different ones). I can't convert it in any of the suggested programs mentioned so far in the forum. They won't recognize it to convert it. I am using DTE by focus and have never had this problem before using VT5. Guess, I've learned a lesson and will need to continue with a tape back up in the future. I'm using Windows XP pro with a Gateway FX computer, 4 gigs of ram. All other M2T clips play fine. Nvidia 7600 GS video card. It just blows my mind the VT5 will play it as a thumb nail but stalls in the SE edit project.
    Go into Prefs and turn off rollover playback for clips and projects. Do a copy of the timeline your using now. Select another desktop and open another instance of VTSE. Change to HD/HDV 720p and paste into the new desktop. Open/add the switcher to your new desktop to select the main/program output and test. I also turn off thumbs in explorer, never save thumbs, so as to not be using resources. If the m2t will play, select and saveAs with the Custom button, to the 1280x720 HQ.avi 16x9, and you should then not have playback for editing issues. Also look that a Cache file has been made, and look to what your BGrender is set to. If you see a red line by the radio buttons, let it finsh. You can start play where BG is ready, but when you get to the red line area it will stutter. BG render stops when you hit play.

HTH.... HDV720p .VTP's import to TMPG 16x9 encoding fine, but SD16x9.VTP's into TMPG encode can Pillar box AFTER a DVDburn.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionTecVideo View Post
    The M2T files saved on the DTE should play fine, very strange. Are you playing them off the DTE device/drive or have you copied them onto your media drive? If you are playing it off the DTE, then copy the folder to your media drive and that may solve your problem.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster