Thread: Animating DOF?

Animating DOF?

Hi guys,

I have a scene where it starts off zoomed into a watch on a wrist (cam 1), pans up to the characters face (cam 2) and then zooms out (cam 3). Then cuts to a new angle (cam 4).

I am using DOF with a Focal Distance of 5.7 and F Stop of 4.0 on cam 1. Then Focal Distance 2.2 and F Stop 1 on cam 4.

Im pretty sure I was just changing the stats for cam 2 but I think this has disappeared.. Im also turning 7pass off to 1pass to render.

Any help?

I'm not entirely certain what you're having trouble with, but if you're trying to animate focal length and other settings over time, you need to use the envelope buttons next to the numeric/slider entries to animate them - otherwise they will just change and stay at whatever you change them to. Those settings don't automatically keyframe like object and camera movement.

Also, if you're using pass-style rendering, you need more than one pass to create the DOF. If you're using 9.6 you can use the photoreal DOF which in theory should be faster and better quality.

Also, (take this advice if you like,) you don't have to worry about getting your whole movie into one scene. Cutting it into different scenes for different cameras and shots can be much simpler. LW is not ideal for video editing.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Or you could use a null and tell the cameras focal distance envelope to use Proximity to follow the distance to the null. Animating the null animates the focal point. You could also animate the f.stop the same way.

Yup, here's my explanation on LightWiki.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I use iDof, it's a great and inexpensive image filter plug-in.
    Just put 2 nulls in the scene and assign which you want as the center (no blur) and which null you want as the far point.
    For more info check out
    www.lwidof.net
    You can even download a demo.

iDof is great as a fast post processing option but unfortunately the drawback of this method is that it can't deal with transparency

Using lightwaves in camera DOF is actually pretty fast these days anyway especially if you use a low AA along with adaptive sampling. More than one motion blur pass will also greatly improve the quality (even if there is no motion) but of course this will multiply the render time

Hey guys thanks for your comments, I will look into this tomorrow. Plug ins are a bit advanced for me. I was using envelopes. Im using a 7pass as this activates the DOF but motion blur photoreal is disabled, how do I enable this?

Tomorrow I will play with the null idea.

Use Perspective camera, not Classic.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis